BOB: Business Objects Board
Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP

Register | Login 

Follow BOB on Twitter! 
Follow BOB on Twitter! (Opens a new window)  

General Notice: No events within the next 45 days.

Read Me: Best Way to Resolve Loops Context? Alias?
8 members found this topic helpful
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Search this topic... | Search Semantic Layer / Universe Designer... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> Semantic Layer / Universe Designer  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
ManishNarang
Forum Member
Forum Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:26 pm 
Post subject: Re: Best Way to Resolve Loops ....

rajchowdary81 wrote:
Thank you all for helping me , I have another doubt , Is there any other purpose of setting cardinalities other than for resolving loops. Does the setting of cardinalities effect the report?

Thank you,

No, but try not to avoid setting 'em.
Mark P
Forum Devotee
Forum Devotee

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:26 am 
Post subject: Re: Best Way to Resolve Loops ....

ramareddy wrote:
The recommended sequence of steps for loop resolution are:

1) We need to set cardinality on all the joins in the universe.

2) Use "Detect Aliases" functionality to detect all loops that can be resolved with alias.

3) Create all the required alias tables and the joins. Set cardinality on new joins.

4) Use "Detect Contexts" to detect all the remaining loops that can be resolved using contexts.(Either accept the candidate contexts or define your own contexts)

Cheers,
Rama..

I disagree with step 2.

You should know whether or not to build an alias. You need to consider the usage of the table. If the table means the same thing to both fact tables then you should not use an alias. In the two examples below, both tables will be relevant to the two fact tables but one should be aliased and the other have contexts applied.

Example One - Customer_Dim
Customer is joined to both Sales_Fact and Delivery_Fact. We sell to customers and we then make a delivery of what we have sold to the customer. In both cases it is the same customer and we want to know what has been sold and what has been delivered to each customer. Decision is therefore not to alias.

Example Two - Person_Dim
Person is joined to Sales_Fact on customer_key and to Order_Fact on supplier_key. We are using Person Dim for both customers and suppliers and need to alias because it has two meanings.

The key is to understand your data. Know what the dimensions are being used for. The most common alias candidate is Calendar Dim because of all the different types of date that occur. When you consider the example above, there are dates for supplier order, supplier contract, supplier payment, customer order, customer payment, expected delivery date, actual delivery date, return date, refund date and so on.

Try not to make universe design too much of a science - there is an art to it as well. icon_wink.gif

Forum Member
Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:45 am 
Post subject: Re: Read Me: Best Way to Resolve Loops Context? Alias?

hi raj best way to resolve loop is to use context..because using alias we are inserting extra table.
Marek Chladny
Forum Advocate
Forum Advocate

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:53 am 

Hi,
vijay melawane wrote:
hi raj best way to resolve loop is to use context..because using alias we are inserting extra table.
I am sorry but this statement is wrong. And it's wrong twice actually.

1) There is not a best way to resolve a loop. There are cases when an alias needs to be used, cases when contexts need to be used and cases when both need to be used.

2) Using an alias in a universe does not mean that an extra table is inserted. An alias is an alias (different name, pseudonym) of an existing table.

www.perpendulum.com

Latest Blog Posts
• 2013-07-16 Number of reports in a WebI document
• 2013-04-01 Optional prompts in a universe
• 2012-06-08 Calendar table script for Oracle
Nick Daniels
Forum Aficionado
Forum Aficionado

flag
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:12 am 

<Confusing posts removed>
Nix2301
Forum Member
Forum Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:59 am 

Someone told me a couple of days ago that using contexts increases the query run time and that you should always try and use aliases instead of contexts icon_eek.gif
Forum Advocate
Forum Advocate

flag
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:09 am 

Nix2301 wrote:
Someone told me a couple of days ago that using contexts increases the query run time and that you should always try and use aliases instead of contexts icon_eek.gif
Context might increase a report refresh time only when 2 (or more) queries are generated instead of just one. However, generating more queries instead of 1 has its purpose - correctness of a data set (or data sets) retrieved from a database.

If one is not interested always in right data, just in some data then the above approach could be quite sufficient. </joke>

www.perpendulum.com

Latest Blog Posts
• 2013-07-16 Number of reports in a WebI document
• 2013-04-01 Optional prompts in a universe
• 2012-06-08 Calendar table script for Oracle
Nix2301
Forum Member
Forum Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:44 am 

Marek Chladny wrote:
If one is not interested always in right data, just in some data then the above approach could be quite sufficient. </joke>

Strangely, when I said that without the context the results were different the person replied "well Design Studio does not support complex queries so you must simplify your universe and get rid of contexts. The user will have to change their requirements if it changes their results" icon_eek.gif

Needless to say this didn't go down to well when my manager overheard the conversation. icon_eek.gif icon_eek.gif

I can see some banghead.gif happening but probably more of two heads that one against a wall. About the 3rd time in the month he's been here that he's 'demanded' things be changed to suit his needs. Can't see his contract being renewed if he keeps up that attitude.

Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:40 am 

Nix2301 wrote:

Inaccurate sweeping statement if I ever heard one!

BOXI R1, R2, R3, R3.1, R4.1, R4.2, CE 8, 8.5, 9, 10, SAP Analytics Cloud, Crystal Reports, Lumira, PowerBI, Tableau, JasperServer, iReport, LogiAnalytics, BIRST, Qlikview, Xcelcius, Netezza, T-SQL, PLSQL, DTS, SSIS, BODI, BODS, Kimble etc....
------------------------------------------------------
Mark P
Forum Devotee
Forum Devotee

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:27 am 

Nix2301 wrote:

That person is an absolute plum and should be told to log off and stick to Excel.

Forum Aficionado
Forum Aficionado

flag
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:27 am 

Query run time, certainly not.
There will be an overhead when the actual merging of the queries is carried out though.

As for Design Studio not supporting contexts? Sounds like BS to me.

Business Objects Versions 4,5,6, XI R2, 3.2, 4.1 SP3
Oracle, SQL Server, Sybase, Netezza, SAP BW.

Red Adair: "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
ABILtd
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:46 am 

Mak 1 wrote:
There will be an overhead when the actual merging of the queries is carried out though.

It could be mate, Lumira can be funny about contexts too (that's not funny ha ha, but funny oh no it`s broken).

BOXI R1, R2, R3, R3.1, R4.1, R4.2, CE 8, 8.5, 9, 10, SAP Analytics Cloud, Crystal Reports, Lumira, PowerBI, Tableau, JasperServer, iReport, LogiAnalytics, BIRST, Qlikview, Xcelcius, Netezza, T-SQL, PLSQL, DTS, SSIS, BODI, BODS, Kimble etc....
Mak 1
Forum Aficionado
Forum Aficionado

flag
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:05 am 

ABILtd wrote:
Mak 1 wrote:

It could be mate, Lumira can be funny about contexts too (that's not funny ha ha, but funny oh no it`s broken).

Hmmmm, can't see why if you can use BICs as a source.
I could well be wrong though icon_mrgreen.gif .

Business Objects Versions 4,5,6, XI R2, 3.2, 4.1 SP3
Oracle, SQL Server, Sybase, Netezza, SAP BW.

Red Adair: "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
ABILtd
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:34 am 

Mak 1 wrote:
ABILtd wrote:
Mak 1 wrote:

Hmmmm, can't see why if you can use BICs as a source.
I could well be wrong though icon_mrgreen.gif .

One of the support guys from my old company Skyped me to ask me last week (why I am still helping them I don`t know!) and had an issue with Lumira and split queries, although in that situation he`d magically clicked the multiple SQL`s per measure check box (for what reason I don`t know). Unchecking fixed it, I`m sure I had the same issue when I did my SAP Presales cert.

Why it can`t work like Webi I don`t know!

Mark P
Forum Devotee
Forum Devotee

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:48 am 

The roadmap suggests that they are working towards Lumira and Webi being flagship products that you can easily link between. It would give Lumira an edge over the other visualisation tools if it has instant easy linking into deep-dig reports on the same platform.

Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> Semantic Layer / Universe Designer  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 9 of 10 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Jump to:  

Index | About | FAQ | RAG | Privacy | Search |  Register |  Login 

Get community updates via Twitter:

Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP