BOB: Business Objects Board
Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP

Register | Login 

Follow BOB on Twitter! 
Follow BOB on Twitter! (Opens a new window)  

General Notice: BOB is going to retire...please see details here.
General Notice: No events within the next 45 days.

counting problem

Search this topic... | Search Semantic Layer / Universe Designer... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> Semantic Layer / Universe Designer  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Listserv Archives
Archive Owner
Archive Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 1998 12:46 pm 
Post subject: counting problem

forwarded message:
>
>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 18:07:33 +0200
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>X-Priority: 3
>X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
>X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V4.71.1712.3

>Hi all, I want to create a measure-object in designer which contains the number of rows of a particular table. I don't want to do a count on a field ! My question: can I create an object with SQL that contains: select count(*) from table X; Also for other objects : can I create them with just using SQL. (without the select-dialog box) ? Nils

Listserv Archives
Archive Owner
Archive Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 1998 1:12 pm 

You can create a count(*) object. It won't parse properly if you check the syntax, but it can be used correctly in your queries.

Simply add an object. For the select clause, make it a count(*), and for the table, just choose your table. I don't think that you need to choose a table if you don't want to.

Amy Martel
amartel@allmerica.com

>>>Susan Quant <squant@ISC.UPENN.EDU> 09/23/1998 01:46pm >>>
>Hi all, I want to create a measure-object in designer which contains the number of rows of a particular table. I don't want to do
a
>count on a field ! My question: can I create an object with SQL that contains: select count(*) from table X; Also for other objects : can I create them with just using SQL. (without the select-dialog box) ?
Nils

Listserv Archives
Archive Owner
Archive Owner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 1998 3:48 am 

Nils (via Suzan) wrote:

>I want to create a measure object which contains the number of rows of
a particular table.
>I don't want to count on a particular field! Can I use select count(*)
from table in stead?
No
You can only use just count(*) in the select box, and select the table you want but that off course would always give you the number of rows in the query unless this is the only object selected. The only safe way to create this object is to count the distinct values of the primary key. If you really wanted this as a separate query and type the whole SQL yourself, you could use freehand SQL.

>Also for other objects : can I create them with just using SQL.
(without the select-dialog box)
No
The whole principle of the universe is to chunk up the SQL so Business Object can combine them in one single SQL statement (or one or more synchronized ones) and guarantee correct results (that is, if the designer did a proper job).
Again if you don't want this, use freehand SQL.

Greetings,
Marianne Wagt
IDETA
The Netherlands

Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> Semantic Layer / Universe Designer  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Jump to:  

Index | About | FAQ | RAG | Privacy | Search |  Register |  Login 

Get community updates via Twitter:

Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP