BOB: Business Objects Board
Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP

Register | Login 

Want to sponsor BOB? 
Want to sponsor BOB? (Opens a new window)  

General Notice: No events within the next 45 days.

SAP BI 4.2 Stable version

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Search this topic... | Search XI Server Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> Server Administration, Installation, Upgrades -> XI Server Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
dtolley

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:35 pm 
Post subject: Re: SAP BI 4.2 Stable version

EmpireITtech wrote:
If you're on 4.2 SP04 P10 and you want to move to SP05, but let's say SP05 also has 10 patch levels also already out, is it best to move to SP05 P00 base and then install P10 after or just go straight to SP05 P10?

The way patches are currently packaged, you can NOT go directly from SP04 P10 to SP05 P10. You have to install the SP05 update then you can install SP05 P10 -- but you do not have to install patches 1 - 9.
EmpireITtech
Forum Member
Forum Member

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:45 pm 

dtolley wrote:
The way patches are currently packaged, you can NOT go directly from SP04 P10 to SP05 P10. You have to install the SP05 update then you can install SP05 P10 -- but you do not have to install patches 1 - 9.

Ok, that's what I thought, just making sure - thanks for confirming!

So if you upgrade to SP05 base, then install the latest patch, you'll have all fixes from the previous patches within that SP group?

And if you then upgrade to SP06, and some of those enhancements/fixes that were in the previous SP and Patch didnt make it in the SP06 base, you lose those changes?

(apologies for all the questions, just trying to get my basis covered)
dtolley

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:19 pm 

EmpireITtech wrote:

So if you upgrade to SP05 base, then install the latest patch, you'll have all fixes from the previous patches within that SP group?

Correct
Note, they do have "combined patches" available so that you can go direct from SP1 to SP2 P5.... but you have to be a VIP customer to get access to those.

EmpireITtech wrote:

And if you then upgrade to SP06, and some of those enhancements/fixes that were in the previous SP and Patch didnt make it in the SP06 base, you lose those changes?

Correct. If you have questions about a specific fix, refer to the KB for that issue to determine in which patches and SPs it was fixed. I will note that this problem has gotten A LOT better over the years, so you may not run into this issue. The bugs I'm tracking from SP5 (that have been fixed) were mostly addressed in P3 and P4 and they all made it into SP6.
nwdb
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:14 am 

Hello dtolley

Having read your screeds on the multiple bugs in early SP05 patch levels, I was grateful to you for such thorough testing and reportage.

Would you say that the benefits of the new things in SP05+ are worth moving from a stable 4.2 SP03 PXXX?

I was hoping that the revived Interactive Viewer concept might prove useful, but would like opinions from anyone using it

For the moment this is a theoretical question...

Thanks

David

Forum Advocate
Forum Advocate

flag
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:55 am 

Hi,

We will soon (a matter of 2-3 months) be upgrading from 4.2 SP3 patch 12 to either SP5 + the latest patch or SP6 patch 1. I am a bit concerned that the patch 1 of SP6 will still be buggy (as many lower patches of a given SP).

Do you still recommend to go with SP6 or it's better and more safe to go with SP5 and its latest patch?

Thank you.

www.perpendulum.com

Latest Blog Posts
• 2013-07-16 Number of reports in a WebI document
• 2013-04-01 Optional prompts in a universe
• 2012-06-08 Calendar table script for Oracle
DanDensley
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:23 am 

Currently planning an Upgrade of our BIP4.1SP11 system to BIP4.2SP6 (Windows Server).

Any helpful advice on upgrade routes and stability appreciated. Specifically:

1) I have heard a fresh install + migration is recommended rather that upgrade in place - does this match people's experience here?

2) Is SP6 a decent stable release?

We also have Lumira for BIP - recently upgrade to 2.1 - that was a painful experience, but this should be compatible with 4.2SP6 too, so no further upgrades there.

Last edited by DanDensley on Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total
EmpireITtech
Forum Member
Forum Member

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:57 am 

DanDensley wrote:
Currently planning an Upgrade of our BIP4.1SP11 system to BIP4.1SP6 (Windows Server).

Do you mean you're planning to move to 4.2 SP6?

DanDensley wrote:
1) I have heard a fresh install + migration is recommended rather that upgrade in place - does this match people's experience here?

We did an in-place upgrade from BI 4.0 (dont remember the exact SP but I believe it was on SP12 at the time) to 4.2 SP3 with no real issues. Now, maybe we were lucky or we didnt have a diverse complex setup, but it went very smoothly for us. Server were on Windows Server 2008 R2 using MSSQL DBs, and most of the time was just watching the upgrade run.

The only lasting issue we had was this strange broken-link in our CMC admin screen which I could never figure out how to fix...but I dont believe it causes any issues, at least none that we've observed icon_question.gif

Image link

Last edited by EmpireITtech on Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total
DanDensley
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:30 am 

EmpireITtech wrote:
Do you you're planning to move to 4.2 SP6?

Yes! Thanks, corrected.

EmpireITtech wrote:

We did an in-place upgrade from BI 4.0 (dont remember the exact SP but I believe it was on SP12 at the time) to 4.2 SP3 with no real issues. Now, maybe we were lucky or we didnt have a diverse complex setup, but it went very smoothly for us. Server were on Windows Server 2008 R2 using MSSQL DBs, and most of the time was just watching the upgrade run.

OK, that's good to hear. We have Upgrade systems we can test on, but our supplier has warned of some in place upgrades completely trashing the system. Ours is quite complex with a 4 node cluster and Lumira Server for BIP installed precariously on two of them.
richardcottave
Principal Member
Principal Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:55 am 

We were on SAP 4.2 SP04 in our DEV environment. I applied SP05 then attempted to run reports. No WEBI reports with prompts could be scheduled because when attempting to set prompts it kept throwing the "internal error while call ProcessDPcommands API" error. So I applied patch 500 and rebooted. Neither the SIA nor Tomcat would start after rebooting. Went to SAP site and found this problem has been documented so I tried their solutions. None worked. I could have sworn I saw SP06 but now I no longer see it. Anyway this is a VM which I had taken a snapshot before applying the SP so I was able to revert back.
EmpireITtech
Forum Member
Forum Member

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:29 pm 

richardcottave wrote:
We were on SAP 4.2 SP04 in our DEV environment. I applied SP05 then attempted to run reports. No WEBI reports with prompts could be scheduled because when attempting to set prompts it kept throwing the "internal error while call ProcessDPcommands API" error. So I applied patch 500 and rebooted. Neither the SIA nor Tomcat would start after rebooting. Went to SAP site and found this problem has been documented so I tried their solutions. None worked. I could have sworn I saw SP06 but now I no longer see it. Anyway this is a VM which I had taken a snapshot before applying the SP so I was able to revert back.

Yea, I've heard some negative things about SP05, so I've kept ours on SP04 latest patch (patch level 10 I believe) for the time being. I might go to SP06 once a few patches come out and skip SP05 all together =/
DanDensley
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:13 am 

richardcottave wrote:

Do you have a SAP Note reference to the issue you experienced?
surya_sudheer
Forum Associate
Forum Associate

flag
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:24 am 

Still some bugs are there which I found in BO 4.2 SP5. in IDT universe is not able to save as PDF, as it is showing as heap size full error. I think it will be resolved by next SP or next version of BI
Forum Advocate
Forum Advocate

flag
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:06 am 

Hi,

Did you upgrade from BI 4.2 SP3 (or lower) to BI 4.2 SP4+ ? How did you actually do the upgrade, when it comes to the problem described in KB 2485676 and also here?
https://sapbi.blog/2017/09/08/thinking-of-upgrading-to-sap-businessobjects-4-2-sp4-not-so-fast/

We have 4.2 SP3 patch 12 and will want to go to 4.2 SP5 patch 5.

www.perpendulum.com

Latest Blog Posts
• 2013-07-16 Number of reports in a WebI document
• 2013-04-01 Optional prompts in a universe
• 2012-06-08 Calendar table script for Oracle
DanDensley
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:06 am 

Marek Chladny wrote:

Did you upgrade from BI 4.2 SP3 (or lower) to BI 4.2 SP4+ ? How did you actually do the upgrade, when it comes to the problem described in KB 2485676 and also here?
https://sapbi.blog/2017/09/08/thinking-of-upgrading-to-sap-businessobjects-4-2-sp4-not-so-fast/

We have 4.2 SP3 patch 12 and will want to go to 4.2 SP5 patch 5.

Interesting. So as I understand it the pain in in-place upgrades comes with the compiler change in the product? In which case we may have already had that pain as we are on 4.1SP11 and the compiler change in 4.1 was made with SP10.

We had all sorts of issues which were linked to also upgrading Lumira to 2.1 and it seemed to depend on the order of upgrades. For example one system went from 4.1SP7 to 4.1SP10 and then 4.1SP11 and was OK but a jump from 4.1SP7 to 4.1SP11 directly was problematic and a jump from 4.1SP7 to 4.1SP10 and then 4.1SP11 without updating Lumira at 4.1SP10 was also bad.

Our issues were resolved with a hotfix provided by SAP for the installer on 4.1SP11. So we made the jump from 4.1SP7 to 4.1SP11 but only by unpacking the upgrade and putting in custom binaries and other files.

A test upgrade on the system which went the 4.1SP7 to 4.1SP10 and then 4.1SP11 route appears to have been successful - though I've not tried a modify/repair yet.
silpablo
Forum Member
Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:52 pm 

In My organization we upgraded from a fresh 4.2 sp3 install to SP5 in order to fix stability issues. we use linux systems.
* webi processes restart if you use a UNX with complex logic in webi report.
* huge reports become corrupted after update or save

after apply SP5 we had the stabillity and performance that we are looking for, anyway there are multiple bugs reported by dtolley that randomlly were fixed in future Patchs.
* html viewer windows size broken
* webi funtions like previous or relative restarts webi server
* imposible to use FHSQL with more than 200 lines

at Sep 13th, the latest patch for SP5 is 500. (aug 10th)
if anyone can share the experience with this patch, I really appreciatte.

thanks in advance
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> Server Administration, Installation, Upgrades -> XI Server Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 4 of 5 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jump to:  

Index | About | FAQ | RAG | Privacy | Search |  Register |  Login 

Get community updates via Twitter:

Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP