BOB: Business Objects Board
Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP

Register | Login 

Follow BOB on Twitter! 
Follow BOB on Twitter! (Opens a new window)  

General Notice: Upcoming Events: PGHBOUG: Nov 1.

SAP BI 4.2 Stable version

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Search this topic... | Search XI Server Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> Server Administration, Installation, Upgrades -> XI Server Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
dtolley

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:57 pm 
Post subject: Re: SAP BI 4.2 Stable version

FYI, we are a few more weeks into our testing of SP5 P100, it's still stable, but finding lots of bugs in WebI! I've opened a half dozen cases in the last couple of days.

A few of the issues so far with:
- #TOREFRESH error when using merged dimensions and query returns no results
- filters involving measures not working as previous
- HTML calendar date picker for query based prompts is appending current time to the date
- size and padding controls on the toolbar aren't populating in HTML viewer
- size control missing from new documents in the HTML viewer
- pagination issues
Nick Daniels
Forum Aficionado
Forum Aficionado

flag
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:22 am 

Thanks for the update, great information. Somewhat disappointing though!
bmaniar

flag
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:45 am 

We're also planning to upgrade to BI 4.2 from BI 4.1 SP2. It's a large installation so would prefer some stable version. What would be advisable? Move to directly 4.2 SP5 or go to BI 4.2 SP3? I have heard SP3 is kind of stable
joepeters
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

flag
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:29 am 

Big difference between SP03 and SP04. We've been on SP04 Patch 3 for a couple of months. It's been pretty stable, except for one bug that causes concurrent sessions to be exhausted.
bmaniar

flag
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:56 am 

Thanks.

SAP has advised to upgrade to latest release BI 4.2 SP05 P200. We are bit sceptical though icon_confused.gif Anyone who has been using SP05 P200 would like to share their experience on known bugs etc..
Hayden_Gill
Forum Associate
Forum Associate

flag
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:59 pm 

BI 4.2 SP05 P300 is due out in week 19 (next week) so it may be better to hold off until that has been released.
Brisbane, Australia
http://pbi.uq.edu.au
bmaniar

flag
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:54 pm 

Thank you for the information. We do have some time for upgrade so better to wait a bit to see what's fixed before we take a final call.
dtolley

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:36 pm 

Original testing SP5 P200 looked acceptable. Testing of existing reports went ok, there were a few issues to work out. But, from an end user perspective, things were passable.

But now, as we are digging deeper and using it for development work, the buggier it gets!! Definitely recommend waiting! From the development side of the house, I would rate it as one of the WORST releases in a LONG time!!
Hayden_Gill
Forum Associate
Forum Associate

flag
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:22 pm 

We were hoping to deploy (after testing) SP5 P300 which is due next week, so this isn't great news. Can you provide a few more details as to what you have uncovered? We can then look to see if any of those have been resolved.

Cheers

Brisbane, Australia
dtolley

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:11 pm 

Here are a few of the issues we run into so far:

1) Padding and size controls aren't populating and working correctly in the applet -- supposed to be fixed in P300

2) Size control missing when creating a new document in the applet -- supposed to be fixed in P300

3) #TOREFRESH error with null measures linked to merged dimensions --- no fix yet

4) Blocks with multiple filters, including filters on measures are not filtering the same as previous versions -- no fix announced yet

5) 'Today' button on calendar control inserting current timestamp (i.e. 'Now') -- supposed to be fixed in SP6

6) FHSQL connection not updated after connection renamed -- no fix yet

7) Folding... is just an all around mess -- sections not folding if section header is deleted. If you hide the section header, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't -- no fix yet

8) Folding... vertical folding completely broken in the applet, folding indicators don't even appear -- supposedly fixed in P300

9) Grouped input controls not working properly... though they are claiming this is "by design" because correct functionality was too difficult to implement (their words!!!)

10) If you have multiple breaks in a cross tab, the break headers from the top row are no longer merging across the total rows of the next layer -- newly reported

11) LaunchPad - pinned tabs not being retained -- supposed fixed in P300

12) Publications - prior prompt responses are not retained when updating/editing -- supposedly fixed in SP6

13) IDT - error using fields from derived tables that contain prompts -- supposed to be fixed in SP6

14) IDT - LOVs build on derived tables throwing invalid table name errors in WebI --- no fix yet

15) MAJOR issue with Auditing using SQL dbase, auditing events are taking all day to write to the database --- they have no clue why at this point

16) Unable to edit monitoring watches -- no idea why yet

.... these are just the big ones we've reported to support, lots of "little" issues I'm just working around for now because I don't have time to report them all.
Hayden_Gill
Forum Associate
Forum Associate

flag
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:04 pm 

dtolley wrote:
Here are a few of the issues we run into so far...

OK - wow that's a lot!

4.2 SP5 Patch 300 is available now... but I think I'll take a look at SP4 P800 instead. We're on 4.2 SP3

Brisbane, Australia
Nick Daniels
Forum Aficionado
Forum Aficionado

flag
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:41 am 

[Moderator note - making this a Sticky topic]
dtolley

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:33 pm 

Yeah, we came from 4.2 SP3 P200, it had issues, but NOTHING like this. Not sure what the heck happened, but something went VERY, VERY, VERY wrong with this release.... just opened four more cases.

If I could go back, I'd do it in a heartbeat, but it's too late now. Yeah, it's my fault, with our limited staff, our testing mainly focuses on making sure we get the same results in reports and basic functionality works from a user perspective -- our users just run reports. Never in a million years would I have thought they had broken a stable product like WebI this badly. Makes me wonder if they are having issues with the HTML parity and the "solution" is that they are going in and trying to strip functionality out of the applet so that they can claim they don't have to replicate it (as if we won't notice it's missing), but in doing so are creating a MESS?!?!
bmaniar

flag
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:17 am 

Wow! That's a long list..

Maybe better to stick to 4.2 SP3 or SP4.
finbo

flag
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:47 am 

Been a while since I've done any installs but thought I'd contribute my own experiences of an upgrade from SAP BI 4.2 SP3 to SP5 and the subsequent patching....

SP5 was fine but I couldn't get the installer for patch P100 to progress without disabling anti-virus on the test server. This isn't viable on our production system so I rolled back from P100 to the unpatched SP5 install then applied patch P300 fine. (The feedback on here about P200 put me off trying that one!)

SP5, P100 and P300 all had issues deploying the web apps, whether as part of the install or when trying it subsequently via wdeploy. There are a few posts speculating about how it seems like an extra space is being added to the service name. That seems to be the case for me too -
"Error: service name BOEXI40Tomcat is not correct."

I ended up finding a thread advising to use the GUI (WdeployGUI.bat) and using this with the "Tomcat installed as Windows Service" unchecked.
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> Server Administration, Installation, Upgrades -> XI Server Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 2 of 6 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Jump to:  

Index | About | FAQ | RAG | Privacy | Search |  Register |  Login 

Get community updates via Twitter:

Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP