BOB: Business Objects Board
Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP

Register | Login 

Follow BOB on Twitter! 
Follow BOB on Twitter! (Opens a new window)  

General Notice: BOB is going to retire...please see details here.
General Notice: No events within the next 45 days.

IDT or UDT

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Search this topic... | Search Off Topic... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> Off Topic  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic

Which flavour of Designer are you using?
(This poll does not expire)
IDT
18%
 18%  [ 13 ]
UDT
50%
 50%  [ 35 ]
Both
31%
 31%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 70

KFonMurphi
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:16 am 
Post subject: Re: IDT or UDT

Another UDT fan here...

I've kept UDT in our first 4.0 project, it was the single part not full of bugs.

I've never seen a reason to migrate to IDT, and most of my colleagues still use UDT. Now that IDT is more mature, I may try it in a project.

In fact, there is no real need to migrate. There are no real innovation in IDT, the user experience is the same in single-DB datawarehouse environment. No webi-level variables, no automatic context... Maybe in the future ?

BTW, nobody has said much about the multibase capabilities. Wo uses them?

Forum Addict
Forum Addict

flag
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:54 am 

For me, the trigger is going to be dashboarding. Depends on the shelf-life of Xcelsius 2008/Dashboard Design. Once I'm forced to move to Design Studio, I'm going to have to get my data from a universe and I've been told IDT is the only option...

Debbie
Andreas
Forum Advocate
Forum Advocate

medal_silver.gif*2medal_gold.gif
Location: *** BEEP ...Dreaming of Africa... leave No message ; ) BEEP ***

flag
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:27 am 

@Debbie: According to SAP content will not expire, but Xcelsius will go into maintenance mode
JohnBClark
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:54 am 

Mak 1 wrote:
In fact I would surprised if anyone, in the BO product team, had tried to use either the IDT or Webi interface prior to releasing it.
This could be applied to a lot of the parts of Business Objects. I don't know that I've worked with first level support person who has actually used the product. At least that is the impression that I get from their questions and the "SAP Supplied Solution".
Operating System: Windows 2016 running on VMWare
Reporting databases: SQL Server, Teradata, DB2, Oracle, Hive
Information Steward 4.2sp10
History: BO5, BO6, XIR2, XI3.1, BI4.1.x
Damocles
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

flag
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:17 am 

I realise this is drifting off topic a tad but I was once required to ask a very silly question to SAP and was eventually referred to someone in customer management who implied that I was being ridiculous until I pointed out that I not only knew it was a stupid question but I had been using the tool when they were still at school.
Forum Associate
Forum Associate

flag
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:52 am 

for me UDT is best when compared to IDT. In 4.1 still we are using UDT only.
JohnBClark
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:17 am 

We are currently using both.

All of our universes that were upgraded from XI3.1 are still in the UNV format. We don't plan to even look at trying to convert them until SAP comes up with a solution for updating all of the reports that use that universe to be able to point to the converted UNX universe. We have far too many reports to have to update them all manually.

New development depends on which reporting tool we are using. We use both Crystal Reports and Web Intelligence. If the reporting tool for the universe is going to be Web Intelligence, we have been trying to use the IDT for those universes since that will be the format going forward. If they are going to be using Crystal Reports (which is Crystal Reports 2013), we will use the UDT. We will continue with this approach for Crystal Reports until SAP has a solution for converting Crystal Reports 2013 to Crystal Reports for Enterprise that isn't a manual process.

The IDT is different to use but it just takes some getting used to. The hardest thing for me is remembering to go to the data foundation to make changes to the tables after having it all in one interface in the UDT.

In my opinion, SAP still has a lot of work to do to even make the IDT a practical option for all reporting.

Operating System: Windows 2016 running on VMWare
Reporting databases: SQL Server, Teradata, DB2, Oracle, Hive
Information Steward 4.2sp10
History: BO5, BO6, XIR2, XI3.1, BI4.1.x
joepeters
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

flag
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:36 am 

I've been dabbling in IDT but have yet to do any real work.

Despite a number of bugs (many of which have been fixed since I discovered them), I have to say it's superior to UDT/Designer in many respects. The arguments here are valid (smaller window, more clicks to perform the same function), but its additional features over UDT make it worthwhile in my opinion.

IDT's Queries are fantastic, and are a great help when doing data analysis. This far exceeds the functionality of the Query Panel in UDT, or switching between Designer and DeskI in prior versions.

The Integrity Check is a welcome enhancement, as are the enhancements to row/column security. Families can make a complex universe easier to manage.

There certainly is room for improvement. Shared Projects are basically worthless in their current state, without any means to apply security or put them in folders. I expect this will be improved in 4.2. Although LOV management is improved, when will we ever get schedulable LOVs like in Crystal?

I see a strong parallel between Designer and DeskI -- both products were basically untouched through three major releases -- 5.x through XI3. Designer had many, many faults that should have been fixed 10 years ago (creating root-level classes, find/replace, export to groups, etc.). While I think SAP's strategy with DeskI should have been to keep it and share a document format with WebI, I think the switch to IDT is appropriate. When all the bugs are worked out and feature implementation finished, it should enable us to create more effective universes.
RensH
Principal Member
Principal Member

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:53 am 

Still supporting BOxi 3 (.6) , BI 4.1 just "launched" for business users.
So for some time, all development will be done in boxi 3 (unv) , then "migrated" to BI4
(on top of / replacing previous versions, we really HOPE BI4 version management and promotion management will help there )

But ... we still have (at least one) "universe with a linked kernel" ...
There are rumours that IDT / unx will incorporate linked universes somehow ... in the future.

We are looking into "dashboards" : old Excelsius used the old universes, but it looks like new Dashboards need unx versions ...

Then business starts to tinker with "Power BI" (from excel) and we don't know -yet- which type of universe they will need for that.

Phasing out : BI 4.1 SP5 . Mostly Webi.
Phased out : BO-XI 3.1 SP6 . Mostly Webi.
Phased out : BO651, full clients. No Webi.
Mak 1
Forum Aficionado
Forum Aficionado

flag
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 4:05 am 

Quote:
we really HOPE BI4 version management and promotion management will help there

Hope you are not banking on that lol.gif .

Business Objects Versions 4,5,6, XI R2, 3.2, 4.1 SP3
Oracle, SQL Server, Sybase, Netezza, SAP BW.

Red Adair: "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
Damocles
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

flag
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:42 am 

I think Power BI uses unx.
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 8:33 pm 

[quote="Damocles"

This tells me that SAP have made a bad job of helping us make an easy transition from the one to the other.[/quote]

Understatement, or did you forget about Business Objects or DESKI as it was called and phased out.
Seems like SAP took their bread & butter that made BO number 1; only to substitute it with Crystal and IDT... like Stale Bread & Promise Margarine
Dave Rathbun
Forum Advocate
Forum Advocate

speaker.gif*16

flag
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 5:25 pm 

We're using both, and UNX as a percentage of our total universes is climbing. We're making a specific attempt to get more out of the multi-source capabilities of the tool this year so we know what it is (and isn't) capable of.

But the bulk of our legacy universes (those originally created before BI 4) remain as UNV universes. It's only new development where IDT is making inroads.

Latest Blog Posts
• 2019-09-19 Stephen Few Blog Post on Multivariate Visualization
• 2019-02-11 Update on Query Banding
• 2018-10-19 BI Evolution
Mark P
Forum Devotee
Forum Devotee

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 5:00 am 

If you've got an optimal data warehouse I see no real point of IDT.

IDT should be a SAP BW tool or for those people who used to use Federator. Why do they keep trying to fix the parts that aren't broke? cryin.gif

Forum Advocate
Forum Advocate

speaker.gif*16

flag
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:51 am 

I could probably talk for an hour or more telling you the benefits of using the multi-source capabilities of the universe rather than doing ETL, and then turn around and talk for another hour telling you why it would be better to do it with ETL and avoid using the multi-source capabilities of the semantic layer. Which one do you want me to start with? icon_smile.gif

In all honesty, there are a lot of lessons to be learned with using the multiple source capability of the semantic layer. I might summarize it this way:

Multi-Source Universes would be my first choice when:
  • The secondary sources are small and specific and of little interest to a broader audience.
  • The cost of developing and maintaining the ETL would be inappropriate given the benefit of the additional data.
  • The additional data is more of a short-term need and not a long-term resource.
  • The data can be used as-is with little (or no) transformation.

ETL / single-sourced universes would be my first choice when:

• Performance is a primary concern (for deliverables such as dashboards or other mobile content).
  • Emphasis is on the T (transformation) step. If the data needs to be modified on the fly every time a query runs, it’s cheaper to do it once and store it.
  • Volume of data in the secondary source is large (millions of rows). See note one about performance.

Latest Blog Posts
• 2019-09-19 Stephen Few Blog Post on Multivariate Visualization
• 2019-02-11 Update on Query Banding
• 2018-10-19 BI Evolution
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> Off Topic  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 3 of 5 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jump to:  

Index | About | FAQ | RAG | Privacy | Search |  Register |  Login 

Get community updates via Twitter:

Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP