BOB: Business Objects Board
Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP

Register | Login 

Want to sponsor BOB? 
Want to sponsor BOB? (Opens a new window)  

General Notice: Upcoming Events: ASUG New England fall meeting: Oct 27.

Hidden Objects does not appear on Query

Search this topic... | Search Semantic Layer / Universe Designer... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> Semantic Layer / Universe Designer  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
palahyd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:54 pm 
Post subject: Hidden Objects does not appear on Query

Hello All,
I have a situation where I am using an existing object in one of the report. The report is being used by users on a daily basis. The user has now asked us to hide the object so it cannot be used by other users. In order to achieve this, I have hidden the object at the universe level, but when I check that particular report where that object is being used, I found out that the object was also getting removed in the filter as well as the select query.

To hide the object, I am right clicking the object in universe and changing the state to HIDDEN. Am I missing something here ?
RUC
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:52 pm 
Post subject: Re: Hidden Objects does not appear on Query

Do you want to hide Objects in Report level ??
If Yes , then what version you are in ?? In XI 3.1 you need to do tricks like reduce column width, white paint,alerts etc.,
IN 4.0 you have option to hide the objects.

You hide Objects in Universe designer then it you will not see them in the report level. This is by design.

palahyd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:01 pm 

I need to hide the objects at the universe level so it cannot be used by any user. However, when I am trying to implement that at Universe level, the objects are disappearing from the existing reports as well. I do not want them to get impacted in any way. Any advise.
chaithu23

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:12 am 

hi Palahyd,

you may try with the following .

Go to object properties in universe in ADVANCED tab in security access level you can select RESTRICTED .I hope it may works
palahyd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:14 pm 

This is not working either.

FYI.. I have created a universe in UDT and then created a report on top of it. To experiment, I have hidden the objects in the UDT universe that exists on the sample report that I created and found that these objects are visible on the existing reports, however they are hiding for new report build. I am confused as to what is happening here and why ?

Anybody please.
Farhan Jaffery
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

speaker.gif

flag
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:32 pm 

Hiding an object in the universe should not hide it from any existing reports but should make it hidden for any new reports.
Houston, Texas
RUC
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:47 pm 

Farhan is right, If you hide objects in universe then it will impact the existing report.

Why don't you remove the objects from query ?? so users will not able to view the objects in the report level.

palahyd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:55 pm 

Farhan,

I understand that is how it should be, but it is not working that way. The objects that I am trying to hide in the universe is impacting the existing reports that is using them from runnng and throws an error

FYI.. The reports have been created in thin clinet Webi.
soulie
Principal Member
Principal Member

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:12 am 

Did you ever find a resolution for this?
palahyd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:54 am 

Still searching...
JPetlev
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:49 am 

The behaviour your describing is NOT by design.
As others have said, hiding an object in a universe should not affect any documents that already exist, it simply stops new documents from being able to add the object.

I use this functionality in many cases where I end up 'replacing' an object with one that has a better formula, but do not want to touch the orignal object.

I've used this approach successfully in XIR2 and XIR3 heavily, and only imported into XIR4 but those reports work fine even with the hidden universe objects.

What Version and Patch Level of BOBJ are you on?
Also which tool has the issue, UDT or IDT? You mention you tested things and it worked with the UDT.. is the issue with the IDT or just a specific universe in UDT?
Quote:
FYI.. I have created a universe in UDT and then created a report on top of it. To experiment, I have hidden the objects in the UDT universe that exists on the sample report that I created and found that these objects are visible on the existing reports, however they are hiding for new report build.

And that is EXACTLY what should be happening.

If you know your patched up to a recent version and using the UDT, I'd suggest a ticket to SAP. Perhaps there is something corrupt with the universe that has the issue. (Try exporting that universe as a new universe name, repoint a webi to this version and see if the issue still happens.. maybe just re-exporting it fully instead of overwriting will correct itself)
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> Semantic Layer / Universe Designer  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Jump to:  

Index | About | FAQ | RAG | Privacy | Search |  Register |  Login 

Get community updates via Twitter:

Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP