BOB: Business Objects Board
Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP

Register | Login 

Follow BOB on Twitter! 
Follow BOB on Twitter! (Opens a new window)  

General Notice: No events within the next 45 days.

Comparing BO with other tools
7 members found this topic helpful
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next

Search this topic... | Search General Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> General Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
mike nagel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:43 pm 
Post subject: Re: Comparing BO with other tools

Unfortunately I'm not privy to the contents of the indemnification contract (but I hear some of the requirements are silly).

I'll take a look at Cognos. Thanks!
ABILtd
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:43 am 

mike nagel wrote:
I'm in the unhappy position of looking for an alternative to BusObj due to licensing friction between my employer and SAP. I work for a government agency that is requiring that any software vendor who'd like to do business with us sign of on an indemnification contract. SAP (among a few other larger players) does not seem willing to do so. Since we don't have the licensing volume of a megacorporation, we'll have to look to other sources (who'll hopefully be more accommodating).

We've been using BusObj since 6.0 and are currently on XI r3. I'd love to move to r4, but for the above.

I'm a huge fan of the software and think the design of the meta layer is absolutely brilliant. I've been taking a look Tableau, which seems highly rated, but it requires that the end-user be familiar with the data source, a requirement that BusObj avoids through universe design.

Most of our end-users will have no clue as to how a data source works (let alone select and connect to one). So my question is:

Are there any competitive products that mimic meta layer functionality?

Without this, true ad hoc reporting really does not exist for the business community. Additionally, I read in one of these forums a comment noting that a report writer and a dashboard are not the same thing. This observation is on the money. We need report writing capabilities far more than dashboarding (the latter being where Tableau seems to shine).

Anyway, hopefully SAP will have mercy on us and sign that document. I'd hate to leave this community. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

icon_biggrin.gif

Looking at Tableau v BO?

I don`t even class them as the same thing. Tableau is a very good visualisation and discovery tool, it`s almost pure play in that respect. BO does pretty much everything via different tools. Same with the Qlik comparison. Neither of them do traditional reporting, or ad hoc reporting. Coming from an 'agnostic' BI vendor, it was very difficult convincing sales guys that just because they are 'BI' tools, they don`t all do the same thing.

Admittedly a lot of SAP users seem to have migrated to the MS stack from what I can make of it. Not that the MS stack has anything to compete with the combo of a Universe with Webi.

BOXI R1, R2, R3, R3.1, R4.1, R4.2, CE 8, 8.5, 9, 10, SAP Analytics Cloud, Crystal Reports, Lumira, PowerBI, Tableau, JasperServer, iReport, LogiAnalytics, BIRST, Qlikview, Xcelcius, Netezza, T-SQL, PLSQL, DTS, SSIS, BODI, BODS, Kimble etc....
------------------------------------------------------
mike nagel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:46 am 

Andy,

That's my observation as well. Cognos looks like it would be a pretty good fit, but I can't find any info on how the "universe" would be defined.
Mak 1
Forum Aficionado
Forum Aficionado

flag
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:50 am 

Totally agree with Andy, have been constantly fighting this confusion between dashboards and reporting tools.
Some poor souls are starting to realise that, "Oh you were right, two and half years ago, when you said this software wouldn't fit the requirements....sigh icon_rolleyes.gif .

Framework Manager and Cube Designer are your Cognos metadata tools.
FWIW, my mate worked with Cognos for 15 years + and he said 6 months after switching, he preferred Business Objects overall, over Cognos.

Business Objects Versions 4,5,6, XI R2, 3.2, 4.1 SP3
Oracle, SQL Server, Sybase, Netezza, SAP BW.

Red Adair: "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
mike nagel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:55 am 

Thanks Mak!

I'll check 'em out.
Mark P
Forum Devotee
Forum Devotee

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:58 am 

mike nagel wrote:
Andy,

That's my observation as well. Cognos looks like it would be a pretty good fit, but I can't find any info on how the "universe" would be defined.

Framework Manager is the equivalent of Designer; it creates framework models (cf. universes) that can be published to allow users to create reports in Report Studio.

It's the closest there is to BO's traditional offering but neither Framework Manager nor Report Studio are as simple and intuitive to use as the BO equivalent.

Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:44 am 

Mak 1 wrote:
Totally agree with Andy, have been constantly fighting this confusion between dashboards and reporting tools.
Some poor souls are starting to realise that, "Oh you were right, two and half years ago, when you said this software wouldn't fit the requirements....sigh icon_rolleyes.gif .

Framework Manager and Cube Designer are your Cognos metadata tools.
FWIW, my mate worked with Cognos for 15 years + and he said 6 months after switching, he preferred Business Objects overall, over Cognos.

One of my old Crystal (then BO) colleagues went from Crystal\BO (in the BOXI R2 days) and said exactly the same thing. But then did say "Same sh1t, different tool".

My now ex employer tried to warm up the lapsed Cognos partnership about 3 years ago, and after attending the pre-sales training, I was a bit underwhelmed. Same thing happened with OBIEE (apart from their good, if limiting, integrated toolset).

The only tools I`ve said WOW too were Qlik, Tableau, BIRST and LogiAnalytics (all for different reasons though and all a bit more 'niche').

BOXI R1, R2, R3, R3.1, R4.1, R4.2, CE 8, 8.5, 9, 10, SAP Analytics Cloud, Crystal Reports, Lumira, PowerBI, Tableau, JasperServer, iReport, LogiAnalytics, BIRST, Qlikview, Xcelcius, Netezza, T-SQL, PLSQL, DTS, SSIS, BODI, BODS, Kimble etc....
------------------------------------------------------
Joealyche
Principal Member
Principal Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:50 pm 

AndySkinner wrote:

The only tools I`ve said WOW too were Qlik, Tableau, BIRST and LogiAnalytics (all for different reasons though and all a bit more 'niche').

Actually working with Tableau... not impressed with it after looking at what Lumira delivers
Veronica
Principal Member
Principal Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:55 am 

Hi Everyone,

I haven't had any luck finding any documents that compare Microsoft's Power BI to BO XI 4.x (most documents seem to compare Power BI to Tableau), and I wondered if anyone can shed some light on this.

Ideally, I'm looking for some idea of what is the equivalent of WebI, Universes, and Dashboards on Power BI (well aware there may not be a direct comparison or there may not be a similar concept).

Also, how do you share documents on Power BI (as you would in InfoView for example), is this done in Sharepoint? what is the CMC equivalent? etc. Any limitations with Power BI?

Any links, or youtube videos or material/knowledge you can share is really appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Veronica
Mark P
Forum Devotee
Forum Devotee

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:35 am 

Power BI isn't a comparable tool to BusinessObjects. Microsoft haven't attempted a semantic layer tool as far as I'm aware.

BO compares more to Cognos and Microstrategy.

What functionality are you looking for in a tool?

Principal Member
Principal Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:47 am 

Thanks Mark, yes I noticed the lack of a semantic layer in Power BI but wondered if they had something else in place or some module to deal with that.

Basically put, we have BO with WebI reporting, we also have SSRS for the 'canned, pixel perfect' reports, and Tableau for dashboards, and it was suggested we look at Power BI as an alternative to replacing our WebI and dashboards.

Am I right in thinking (due to the lack of the semantic layer) that Power BI reports are created similar to how it's done in Tableau (straight from the source)? can these reports be saved and shared/refreshed as they are with WebI?
Mark P
Forum Devotee
Forum Devotee

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:56 am 

Veronica wrote:
Thanks Mark, yes I noticed the lack of a semantic layer in Power BI but wondered if they had something else in place or some module to deal with that.

Basically put, we have BO with WebI reporting, we also have SSRS for the 'canned, pixel perfect' reports, and Tableau for dashboards, and it was suggested we look at Power BI as an alternative to replacing our WebI and dashboards.

Am I right in thinking (due to the lack of the semantic layer) that Power BI reports are created similar to how it's done in Tableau (straight from the source)? can these reports be saved and shared/refreshed as they are with WebI?

Have you looked at SAP's dashboarding/visualisation tools, particularly Lumira?

Principal Member
Principal Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:08 am 

That I haven't no, unfortunately I haven't progressed much in that aspect (still stuck on Xcelsius which was rather long winded and a little rough to integrate), will look at it thanks, and see what it offers. I'm hoping it does heat maps as this is one of the requirements.
joepeters
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

flag
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:18 am 

Veronica wrote:
I'm hoping it does heat maps

It does, quite well. So does Explorer.
Mark P
Forum Devotee
Forum Devotee

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:25 am 

Veronica wrote:
That I haven't no, unfortunately I haven't progressed much in that aspect (still stuck on Xcelsius which was rather long winded and a little rough to integrate), will look at it thanks, and see what it offers. I'm hoping it does heat maps as this is one of the requirements.

Fortunately things have moved on considerable from Xcelsius.

Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> General Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 19 of 20 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next

Jump to:  

Index | About | FAQ | RAG | Privacy | Search |  Register |  Login 

Get community updates via Twitter:

Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP