BOB: Business Objects Board
Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP

Register | Login 

Want to sponsor BOB? 
Want to sponsor BOB? (Opens a new window)  

General Notice: No events within the next 45 days.

Comparing BO with other tools
7 members found this topic helpful
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Search this topic... | Search General Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> General Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Mak 1
Forum Aficionado
Forum Aficionado

flag
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:42 am 
Post subject: Re: Comparing BO with other tools

Worth looking at posts by CaptSpeed, of which this one is of particular interest:-

http://www.forumtopics.com/busobj/viewtopic.php?t=225980

Business Objects Versions 4,5,6, XI R2, 3.2, 4.1 SP3
Oracle, SQL Server, Sybase, Netezza, SAP BW.

Red Adair: "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
anorak
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:03 am 

Mark,

Thanks for the link; very interesting comments.
Mak 1
Forum Aficionado
Forum Aficionado

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:34 am 

The message to always get across is that changing your reporting tool is not a panecea.

Where I am currently I have tried to tell them for the last 3 years that they will not replace BO with Datawatch (was Panoptican).
The continued failure to understand the difference between standard reporting and dashboards is quite shocking.

And guess what, the users are quite happy just as they are, with Business Objects.

icon_mrgreen.gif

Red Adair: "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
anorak
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:46 am 

Mak 1 wrote:
The message to always get across is that changing your reporting tool is not a panecea.

Where I am currently I have tried to tell them for the last 3 years that they will not replace BO with Datawatch (was Panoptican).
The continued failure to understand the difference between standard reporting and dashboards is quite shocking.

And guess what, the users are quite happy just as they are, with Business Objects.

icon_mrgreen.gif

Unfortunately, I've just heard that the battle has probably already been lost and SAP are in danger of losing another (very, very significant) client.
Mak 1
Forum Aficionado
Forum Aficionado

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:57 am 

anorak wrote:

Unfortunately, I've just heard that the battle has probably already been lost and SAP are in danger of losing another (very, very significant) client.

The sad fact is, it could cost a lot more long term, for very little value.

anorak
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:09 am 

Mak 1 wrote:
anorak wrote:

The sad fact is, it could cost a lot more long term, for very little value.

And the really sad fact is, apparently SAP know about it, and are doing very little to try and prevent it from happening! eek.gif
Mark P
Forum Devotee
Forum Devotee

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:39 am 

anorak wrote:
Mak 1 wrote:

icon_mrgreen.gif

What are the main reasons given for changing?

Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

flag
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:31 pm 

Mark P wrote:
anorak wrote:
Mak 1 wrote:

icon_mrgreen.gif

Mark,

Let's just say that I doubt if an in depth comparison has been carried out, but I heard mention that Microstrategy was more 'cloud enabled' than BO, whatever that means.
Nick Daniels
Forum Aficionado
Forum Aficionado

flag
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:00 am 

anorak wrote:
Let's just say that I doubt if an in depth comparison has been carried out, but I heard mention that Microstrategy was more 'cloud enabled' than BO, whatever that means.
It means the Microstrategy sales person did a good job icon_wink.gif
Mark P
Forum Devotee
Forum Devotee

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:18 am 

anorak wrote:
Mark P wrote:
anorak wrote:
Mak 1 wrote:

icon_mrgreen.gif

Mark,

They've not heard about BO's Amazon partnership then? banghead.gif

Forum Aficionado
Forum Aficionado

flag
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:29 am 

Quote:
Microstrategy was more 'cloud enabled' than BO

Total poppycock

Rohit77
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:02 am 

Hi Team,

Is there any tool to convert the BO reports to micro-startegy.Please advise.

Regards
RK
Nick Daniels
Forum Aficionado
Forum Aficionado

flag
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:54 am 

That is a question for a Microstrategy forum.
mike nagel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:07 am 

I'm in the unhappy position of looking for an alternative to BusObj due to licensing friction between my employer and SAP. I work for a government agency that is requiring that any software vendor who'd like to do business with us sign of on an indemnification contract. SAP (among a few other larger players) does not seem willing to do so. Since we don't have the licensing volume of a megacorporation, we'll have to look to other sources (who'll hopefully be more accommodating).

We've been using BusObj since 6.0 and are currently on XI r3. I'd love to move to r4, but for the above.

I'm a huge fan of the software and think the design of the meta layer is absolutely brilliant. I've been taking a look Tableau, which seems highly rated, but it requires that the end-user be familiar with the data source, a requirement that BusObj avoids through universe design.

Most of our end-users will have no clue as to how a data source works (let alone select and connect to one). So my question is:

Are there any competitive products that mimic meta layer functionality?

Without this, true ad hoc reporting really does not exist for the business community. Additionally, I read in one of these forums a comment noting that a report writer and a dashboard are not the same thing. This observation is on the money. We need report writing capabilities far more than dashboarding (the latter being where Tableau seems to shine).

Anyway, hopefully SAP will have mercy on us and sign that document. I'd hate to leave this community. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

icon_biggrin.gif
Mark P
Forum Devotee
Forum Devotee

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:48 am 

What sort of indemnification clauses is your organisation seeking?

BO is a read only tool so I can't see how it would corrupt your data.
There's more of an onus on the individual to not produce incorrect figures in reports surely?

Cognos is the most similar tool but isn't as user-friendly either (albeit it does have a semantic layer) and I can't see IBM bowing to your org's wishes either.

Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> General Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 18 of 20 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Jump to:  

Index | About | FAQ | RAG | Privacy | Search |  Register |  Login 

Get community updates via Twitter:

Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP