BOB: Business Objects Board
Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP

Register | Login 

Want to sponsor BOB? 
Want to sponsor BOB? (Opens a new window)  

General Notice: No events within the next 45 days.

Good-Bye DESKI and Good-Bye SAP BO
5 members found this topic helpful
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32

Search this topic... | Search General Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> General Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Mark P
Forum Devotee
Forum Devotee

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:19 am 
Post subject: Re: Good-Bye DESKI and Good-Bye SAP BO

ABILtd wrote:
Crystal and Deski\Webi are 2 completely different use cases with some crossover though. Same as the use cases for Lumira (RIP) and Webi are different with some crossover.

Crystal and Deski are very similar, just implemented differently. There's not much that can't be achieved in Deski that can in Crystal for a fraction of the hassle.

In terms of Lumira, why are they canning it? What's on the roadmap now? Has someone managed to rewrite a Roambi/Xcelsius combo in HTML5? cryin.gif

You may as well lump Webi and Excel together as a poor man's dashboarding toolset - Webi wouldn't be anything without the semantic layer though, which is what SAP are struggling with I think.

Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:58 am 

Mark P wrote:
ABILtd wrote:
Crystal and Deski\Webi are 2 completely different use cases with some crossover though. Same as the use cases for Lumira (RIP) and Webi are different with some crossover.

Crystal and Deski are very similar, just implemented differently. There's not much that can't be achieved in Deski that can in Crystal for a fraction of the hassle.

In terms of Lumira, why are they canning it? What's on the roadmap now? Has someone managed to rewrite a Roambi/Xcelsius combo in HTML5? cryin.gif

You may as well lump Webi and Excel together as a poor man's dashboarding toolset - Webi wouldn't be anything without the semantic layer though, which is what SAP are struggling with I think.

Not sure I agree on that...but hey.

Lumira is being canned because they`re focussing 100% development time into SAP Analytics Cloud, that's what I`ve been told directly by old friends in product management anyway. Roambi is being sucked into SAP Analytics Cloud now too!

BOXI R1, R2, R3, R3.1, R4.1, R4.2, CE 8, 8.5, 9, 10, SAP Analytics Cloud, Crystal Reports, Lumira, PowerBI, Tableau, JasperServer, iReport, LogiAnalytics, BIRST, Qlikview, Xcelcius, Netezza, T-SQL, PLSQL, DTS, SSIS, BODI, BODS, Kimble etc....
------------------------------------------------------
di652
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:01 pm 

Mark P wrote:
ABILtd wrote:
di652 wrote:
SAP ruined BOBJ first off by putting more emphasis on Crystal... What were they thinking, they would have been great if they just pushed Crystal out of the picture and kept Deski(for one thing) as the user app of choice. I mean, users are not and probably never going to get away from Excel. Deski made it all work out... With some tweaking no other product would have bested it.

Business Objects should have just stayed Business Objects. I think they would have still been the TOP GUN but.... SAP has no clue on what to do with it.

If you pushed Crystal out of the picture in terms of the BI platform, there would be no platform.....

Ignoring the architecture, when talking about the actual, he's spot on though.

Point again being Business Objects Bread and Butter was with Deski. It gave unreal power to the user and closest form of an OLAP tool at the time blowing out MSTR and CRYSTAL. Both of these in the hands of a user is nothing short of being a NIGHTMARE!

BOBJ should have been left alone when SAP purchased it. The individual company would have accomplished lots more and probably would have blown Tableau, Power BI,,,, out of the water with inovations. Sorry, the support and people behind the original BOBJ was the BEST but.........
tendernips
Principal Member
Principal Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:36 pm 

di652 wrote:
Mark P wrote:
ABILtd wrote:
di652 wrote:
SAP ruined BOBJ first off by putting more emphasis on Crystal... What were they thinking, they would have been great if they just pushed Crystal out of the picture and kept Deski(for one thing) as the user app of choice. I mean, users are not and probably never going to get away from Excel. Deski made it all work out... With some tweaking no other product would have bested it.

Business Objects should have just stayed Business Objects. I think they would have still been the TOP GUN but.... SAP has no clue on what to do with it.

If you pushed Crystal out of the picture in terms of the BI platform, there would be no platform.....

Point again being Business Objects Bread and Butter was with Deski. It gave unreal power to the user and closest form of an OLAP tool at the time blowing out MSTR and CRYSTAL. Both of these in the hands of a user is nothing short of being a NIGHTMARE!

BOBJ should have been left alone when SAP purchased it. The individual company would have accomplished lots more and probably would have blown Tableau, Power BI,,,, out of the water with inovations. Sorry, the support and people behind the original BOBJ was the BEST but.........

Summers were nicer....policemen were taller, too. icon_wink.gif
Captspeed
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:06 pm 

di652 wrote:
Mark P wrote:
ABILtd wrote:
di652 wrote:

No argument from me on any of that, completely agree with it all.
Shortly after SAP bought BO it seemed EVERYTHING went to crap! They're QA of patches & version upgrades became none existent, Customer Service went in the toilet, Webi became a nightmare AND they were trying to yank the plug on Deski at the same time! Wish SAP would have bypassed that buyout..
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> General Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 32 of 32 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32

Jump to:  

Index | About | FAQ | RAG | Privacy | Search |  Register |  Login 

Get community updates via Twitter:

Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP