BOB: Business Objects Board
Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP

Register | Login 

Follow BOB on Twitter! 
Follow BOB on Twitter! (Opens a new window)  

General Notice: No events within the next 45 days.

Good-Bye DESKI and Good-Bye SAP BO
5 members found this topic helpful
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32  Next

Search this topic... | Search General Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> General Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Marek Chladny
Forum Advocate
Forum Advocate

flag
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:06 pm 
Post subject: Re: Good-Bye DESKI and Good-Bye SAP BO

BIGuru wrote:
Not a wonder more and more companies are moving away from SAP BO.

It's been more than 5 years (!) since you started this topic writing
BIGuru wrote:
It is with deep regret that we have decided to move off of SAP BO.

It looks like you are still around and still barking up the same wrong tree icon_rolleyes.gif

I rarely write posts like this one but please stop complaining, it really has been enough of it in those past 5 years. It's really useless. Learn the tool or have a consultant to teach you the tool or just simply do something else.
BIGuru
Forum Member
Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:23 am 

Unfortunately contract to contract I am brought onto sites that are rewriting their BI application, yes, going away from SAPBO.

On the positive side I keep trying to put up an argument in favor of BO as I remember and worked with it. But then I keep seeing how SAP keeps adding to the mess it started when it changed things....and I am basically running out of arguments for companies; some running old versions of BO, to keep it!

Maybe you're right, I should just do the job I start out to do with each contract and get them off SAPBO. icon_sad.gif
Mark P
Forum Devotee
Forum Devotee

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:40 am 

Marek Chladny wrote:
BIGuru wrote:
Not a wonder more and more companies are moving away from SAP BO.

It's been more than 5 years (!) since you started this topic writing
BIGuru wrote:
It is with deep regret that we have decided to move off of SAP BO.

It looks like you are still around and still barking up the same wrong tree icon_rolleyes.gif

I rarely write posts like this one but please stop complaining, it really has been enough of it in those past 5 years. It's really useless. Learn the tool or have a consultant to teach you the tool or just simply do something else.

Complaining or IDT? icon_wink.gif

In all seriousness, I am concerned about what SAP are doing with BusinessObjects but we obviously have little influence over it. They've bought the tool to use with BW rather than the traditional BO community, instead of "as well as" the traditional BO community it seems. I never thought I'd say it but I wish Microsoft had bought BO.

Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

flag
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:10 am 

Mark P wrote:
I never thought I'd say it but I wish Microsoft had bought BO.

That's an interesting "what if" scenario. MS has a very different strategy on BI as compared to pre-SAP BO. They are focused on Excel for ad-hoc querying, SSRS for enterprise reporting, and PowerView for visualization. They do not have a comparable tool to WebI, nor is their semantic layer as sophisticated as BO. An MS takeover of BO would have produced interesting offspring. I could imagine Crystal being dropped in favor of SSRS, and WebI being incorporated into SharePoint. Of course, all of the Java utilities that I've written would become useless icon_sad.gif

And I may be the lone voice here, but I don't think IDT is all that bad. It definitely has its flaws but they are not insurmountable. Designer/UDT is starting to show its age and IDT gives us a lot of needed functionality. Incidentally, on the WebI Social Hour the other day, I asked about a timeline for the unv format to be deprecated. I was surprised to hear that there isn't one, so it seems that we will have both formats for some time to come.
Marek Chladny
Forum Advocate
Forum Advocate

flag
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:54 am 

Mark P wrote:
Complaining or IDT? icon_wink.gif
Complaining, of course icon_smile.gif

joepeters wrote:
And I may be the lone voice here, but I don't think IDT is all that bad.
You are definitely not alone. I mentioned here some time ago already that IDT was not bad as everyone was talking/writing about it. One needs to get used to it because some things are done differently in IDT than in UDT. But it does not mean it's worse or it's better. It's just different. And it (IDT) has some features that I was missing in Designer.
Mark P
Forum Devotee
Forum Devotee

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:25 am 

joepeters wrote:
Mark P wrote:
I never thought I'd say it but I wish Microsoft had bought BO.

That's an interesting "what if" scenario. MS has a very different strategy on BI as compared to pre-SAP BO. They are focused on Excel for ad-hoc querying, SSRS for enterprise reporting, and PowerView for visualization. They do not have a comparable tool to WebI, nor is their semantic layer as sophisticated as BO. An MS takeover of BO would have produced interesting offspring. I could imagine Crystal being dropped in favor of SSRS, and WebI being incorporated into SharePoint. Of course, all of the Java utilities that I've written would become useless icon_sad.gif

CMC/CMS/SharePoint with seamless AD integration? You're such a tease.

The constructs of Crystal and SSRS are reasonably similar - I could imagine them writing a conversion tool.

With UDT/IDT they'd have an ideal base to launch all sorts of things, especially teaming it up with Power BI, which could integrate through to Webi (consider the state of BO's dashboarding/visualisation in 2007).

Getting rid of Java is no bad thing, no matter how good you are with it Joe icon_smile.gif
joepeters wrote:
And I may be the lone voice here, but I don't think IDT is all that bad. It definitely has its flaws but they are not insurmountable. Designer/UDT is starting to show its age and IDT gives us a lot of needed functionality. Incidentally, on the WebI Social Hour the other day, I asked about a timeline for the unv format to be deprecated. I was surprised to hear that there isn't one, so it seems that we will have both formats for some time to come.

My main fear with IDT is that it will be seen as a tool that can be used instead of a data warehouse, leading to endless performance issues.

Forum Advocate
Forum Advocate

ASUG Icon
speaker.gif*6medal_bronze.gif

flag
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:03 pm 

joepeters wrote:
And I may be the lone voice here, but I don't think IDT is all that bad.

You're not alone. I didn't like IDT in 4.0, due to too many missing features. But in my blog post of IDT 4.1, I stated that I like the tool. It's not perfect. But then, what software is?

Latest Blog Posts
• 2019-02-22 Tableau Security Made Easy
• 2018-09-20 Hello, Tableau
• 2018-08-16 New Beginnings
Hayden_Gill
Forum Associate
Forum Associate

flag
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:24 pm 

joepeters wrote:
Incidentally, on the WebI Social Hour the other day, I asked about a timeline for the unv format to be deprecated. I was surprised to hear that there isn't one, so it seems that we will have both formats for some time to come.

Yeah, but not deprecating =/= supporting icon_rolleyes.gif

Lumira BI Platform can't refresh against UNV
Design Studio doesn't support UNV
I'm pretty sure the new merged Analysis Office/Live Office product won't support UNV

I'm not sure who SAP consulted about the IDE for IDT, but it certainly made some weird choices.

I don't personally need the new functionality in IDT/UNX but I do want to leverage the new products. What's holding us back is the thousands of documents out there that are pointing at UNVs, and the fact that SAP have not provided anyway to migrate them to an equivalent UNX.

If you're in the same boat, cast a vote !
SAP Idea: Automate document migration in BI client from UNV to UNX
(see what I did there)

Brisbane, Australia
http://pbi.uq.edu.au
Andreas
Forum Advocate
Forum Advocate

medal_silver.gif*2medal_gold.gif
Location: *** BEEP ...Dreaming of Africa... leave No message ; ) BEEP ***

flag
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:28 am 

Hayden Gill wrote:
I don't personally need the new functionality in IDT/UNX but I do want to leverage the new products. What's holding us back is the thousands of documents out there that are pointing at UNVs, and the fact that SAP have not provided anyway to migrate them to an equivalent UNX.

There is a 3rd Party tool/service out there, that migrates Webi documents from unv to UnX!

Hayden_Gill
Forum Associate
Forum Associate

flag
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:47 am 

Andreas wrote:

There is a 3rd Party tool/service out there, that migrates Webi documents from unv to UnX!

Yes, and good on them for writing something... but it is an Admin tool, users don't get to migrate their own documents and the licensing model doesn't suit a large environment where you want to stage a migration... and really why should SAP Customers have to pay a third party to get that service anyway ?

SAP is a mutil-billion dollar company. Providing a clear migration path should have been part of any product plan, let alone the core of the BO product - the semantic layer.

Brisbane, Australia
Andreas
Forum Advocate
Forum Advocate

medal_silver.gif*2medal_gold.gif
Location: *** BEEP ...Dreaming of Africa... leave No message ; ) BEEP ***

flag
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:55 am 

Me just trying to offer you a solution, please do not kill the Messenger icon_sad.gif
Otherwise I am all with you and voted your idea up icon_smile.gif

joepeters
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

flag
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:10 am 

Hayden_Gill wrote:
Andreas wrote:

Yes, and good on them for writing something... but it is an Admin tool, users don't get to migrate their own documents and the licensing model doesn't suit a large environment where you want to stage a migration... and really why should SAP Customers have to pay a third party to get that service anyway ?

SAP is a mutil-billion dollar company. Providing a clear migration path should have been part of any product plan, let alone the core of the BO product - the semantic layer.

I agree. I did write my own utility to do this, but it is not perfect and I wouldn't expect everyone to do the same. I was very surprised to find that there was no automated conversion tool included with the product.
Hayden_Gill
Forum Associate
Forum Associate

flag
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:22 pm 

Andreas wrote:
Me just trying to offer you a solution, please do not kill the Messenger icon_sad.gif
Otherwise I am all with you and voted your idea up icon_smile.gif

Sorry, wasn't aimed at you and probably reads a bit stronger than I meant. Thanks for the vote, a shame we have to even ask.

Brisbane, Australia
di652
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:08 am 

Okay I have to say this.....

Way back when I selected BO as the OLAP or close to OLAP tool of choice at one of my sites adding it is surpassing all the other reporting tools out there.

Years later.....

I would recant my recommendation adding that although it is a GREAT tool NOW it will go through upgrades and changes which would make it almost useless to do any complex reporting in the future.

And I don't want to even go into how stability has or is now CRAP!
<Period>

Yes, you could say I am frustrated with this tool and the upgrades has made i as bad as cumbersome as trying to do things in Crystal... GARBAGE!
Mark P
Forum Devotee
Forum Devotee

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:55 am 

di652 wrote:
Okay I have to say this.....

Way back when I selected BO as the OLAP or close to OLAP tool of choice at one of my sites adding it is surpassing all the other reporting tools out there.

Years later.....

I would recant my recommendation adding that although it is a GREAT tool NOW it will go through upgrades and changes which would make it almost useless to do any complex reporting in the future.

And I don't want to even go into how stability has or is now CRAP!
<Period>

Yes, you could say I am frustrated with this tool and the upgrades has made i as bad as cumbersome as trying to do things in Crystal... GARBAGE!

What in particular frustrates you? With due respect, you are asking questions in Webi about some of the simpler aspects of the tool icon_smile.gif

Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> General Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 30 of 32 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32  Next

Jump to:  

Index | About | FAQ | RAG | Privacy | Search |  Register |  Login 

Get community updates via Twitter:

Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP