BOB: Business Objects Board
Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP

Register | Login 

Follow BOB on Twitter! 
Follow BOB on Twitter! (Opens a new window)  

General Notice: Upcoming Events: BONYMAUG: May 14, BI2014 Nice, France: May 21.

Good-Bye DESKI and Good-Bye SAP BO
5 members found this topic helpful
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Search this topic... | Search General Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> General Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
BIGuru
Forum Member
Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:09 am 
Post subject: Good-Bye DESKI and Good-Bye SAP BO

It is with deep regret that we have decided to move off of SAP BO. icon_sad.gif

I am particularly saddened by this as I was on the selection committee for this tool overriding Crystal Decisions, Microstratgey and Cognos-back in the late 90s.

But after dealing with SAP; their 'know it all' sales people; the loss of the greatest OLAP tool availabe-DESKI; the promoting legacy reporting tool-Crystal; ALL the broken promises; system hang-ups and cumbersome use. We have elected to rewrite our Business Intelligence going in another direction.

Good Luck to all the continued users of BO. It was a GREAT solution in its time away from SAP. seeya.gif

BIGURU signing off icon_cry.gif
RGeurts
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:44 am 
Post subject: Re: Good-Bye DESKI and Good-Bye SAP BO

all the best mate!

What tool did the company choose?
bernard timbal
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

flag
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:58 am 

What a pity for you if you enjoyed Bo tools. Were you a big company ? And what did BO-SAP said when you gave them the decision to abandon their tool ?
(Co)author of 2 books about SAP BusinessObjects XI3.x and BI4.x Administration
Nick Daniels
Forum Devotee
Forum Devotee

flag
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:41 pm 

The sad fact of the matter is that at the enterprise end of the market all the vendors are the same i.e. equally bad....it is just a question of how long it takes this to become a problem for you icon_cry.gif
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

flag
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:55 pm 

Nick Daniels wrote:
The sad fact of the matter is that at the enterprise end of the market all the vendors are the same i.e. equally bad....it is just a question of how long it takes this to become a problem for you icon_cry.gif

100% agree. In the words of The Who, "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss".

Forum Associate
Forum Associate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:23 pm 

Quote:
The sad fact of the matter is that at the enterprise end of the market all the vendors are the same

I agree, at the enterprise end of things all the vendors are the same.

But I also agree that Business Objects(Pre-SAP) was by far the BEST of the BEST. They got even better when they acquired ACTA as their Data Integrator.
After that....the end of an all around good era.

Anyways, BI moves on; good or bad, BI moves on.........
substring
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:28 pm 

I think SAP BusinessObjects after the SAP acquisition is still the best BI tool.
BOXI Balboa
Forum Member
Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:26 pm 

substring wrote:
I think SAP BusinessObjects after the SAP acquisition is still the best BI tool.

I agree. Pound for pound, it's still the best BI tool out there, IMHO. Mainly, I believe, the legacy of some outstanding development from the original BusObj staff, rather than anything SAP have done with the toolset since acquisition.

But: it is becoming increasingly difficult to deal with SAP as a company, and I'm seeing more and more often that this is impacting on vendor/client relationships. Without wishing to appear nostalgic, it really WAS so much better dealing with BusinessObjects when they were independent.
anorak
Forum Associate
Forum Associate

flag
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:05 am 

I may be 'old school', but in my book a supplier exists to meet the needs of its customers, not vice versa.

Since the acquisition there seems to have been a major reversal in this relationship, with thousands of customers now having to develop workarounds to fit in with SAP's product strategy, rather than the product strategy fitting in with the wishes and needs of the customer base.
BIFan
Principal Member
Principal Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:33 am 

Quote:
major reversal in this relationship, with thousands of customers now having to develop workarounds to fit in with SAP's product strategy, rather than the product strategy fitting in with the wishes and needs of the customer base.

Maybe this was the reason that BiGuru said good-bye.

I know myself and my clients are getting sick and tired of the new regime of SAP BO. One of them and the latest commented that the SAP sales group went over IT Director, directly to the CEO\CIO and proposed what Crystal can do for them.
They not only got shot down but I am told that now there is friction of keeping the BO tool and currently being discussed. Wonder what the SAP idiots said ???
MJRBIM
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:49 am 

Agreed, SAP-BOBJ's whole sales-cycle is now targeted at the CEO \ CIO level.

SAPs focus is always on the $1-Millon plus deals.

CR-Server, BO Edge and Legacy Desktop tools are taking the "back-seat" to SAP BW and ECC integration.

SeagateInfo 7 -> Crystal Enterprise -> BOE-XI (R2) / (R3.1) / 4.1 | Crystal ( 7 -> 2013) design |
WebI design | Best practices for Java / .Net / Web Services
BIFan
Principal Member
Principal Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:03 pm 

Quote:
CR-Server, BO Edge and Legacy Desktop tools are taking the "back-seat" to SAP BW and ECC integration.

Interesting comment because when they (SAP BO Sales Idiots) contacted the CIO\CEO this pushed the focus to look towards Oracle for expansion.
I know that a multi-million dollar answer is not the answer but the argument is holding against SAP BO

I would like to hear from others on this topic as well.
Mitra Moini
Forum Associate
Forum Associate

speaker.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:07 pm 

substring wrote:

I don't think for very much longer if SAP keeps treating Business Objects the way they do. In my opinion, they should keep Crystal Reports and sell off Business Objects to those who care enough about it to do great things with it. I think the only reason SAP purchased Business Objects was because of Crystal Reports. I know many of you will disagree but from the way they showcase Crystal, I rest my case.

Also, there are quite a few up and coming BI tools that are very promising (Qlikview comes to mind). Remember, Business Objects used to be small, up and coming at one point as well.

I am not at all surprised by BIGuru's company's decisions. I know quite a few that have abandoned Business Objects and most of them were mid-size businesses. There will be more, I am sure. Oh, well. You win some and lose some.

We shall miss you, BIGuru, but you can always participate in Michael's thread icon_wink.gif

Mitra

BIFan
Principal Member
Principal Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:11 pm 

Quote:
they should keep Crystal Reports and sell off Business Objects to those who care enough about it to do great things with it.

THERE IT IS, someone said it and I agree 100%
BOXI Balboa
Forum Member
Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:09 pm 

I agree, SAP are in the process of killing what was once a great product set. With the major BI vendors focusing entirely on the huge deals, it seems that things have come full circle, and the independent vendors will provide the valuable ways forward once again.
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> General Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 27 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Jump to:  

Index | About | FAQ | RAG | Privacy | Search |  Register |  Login 

Get community updates via Twitter:

Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP