BOB: Business Objects Board
Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP

Register | Login 

Want to sponsor BOB? 
Want to sponsor BOB? (Opens a new window)  

General Notice: BOB is going to retire...please see details here.
General Notice: No events within the next 45 days.

Error: WIS 00505 under AD

Search this topic... | Search Security and User Administration... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> Security and User Administration  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
mark_s

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:30 pm 
Post subject: Error: WIS 00505 under AD

Good afternoon -

I'm at a shop running BOXI V3.1 SP3, and I'm encountering a universe access error (WIS 00505) while trying to execute in WEBI.

I've reviewed the several postings related to this topic, and I've tried implementing the solutions offered. As in the similar postings, I am trying to tailor an access level to a specific group. However in this instance I have to contend with Active Directory. I'm not sure if this makes a difference.

Simliar to the the previous postings, the group requires the ability to refresh a report, so I've granted them "View on Demand". I've added the group as a principal and assigned the access level to all the relevant areas: report folders, universe folders (root folder), and universe connection. I've checked the granted rights for create / edit query and view / edit SQL. I've also executed security query to check the permission. Despite it all I cannot seem to get beyond the error msg: "...no access to the universe....WIS 00505 error".

Thinking that I had perhaps missed something, I changed the access level to "Full Control", just to see if I could get it running, but I continued to receive the same error message regarding universe access. At this point I started thinking about the possible impact of AD in this situation.

Does anyone know to what degree, if any, AD would influence the tailoring of access levels? I'm not aware that it does. I can clearly see many of the tailoring changes I've made, but after the access failure on "Full Control" I'm left scratching my head. One of the previous postings alluded to a bug in XI R3.1, but then went on to say it had been corrected with SP2. We are on SP3.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Many thanks.
banghead.gif
mark_s

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:59 am 
Post subject: Re: Error: WIS 00505 under AD

Just a follow-up to my post .....

I took a step and decided to apply the tailored access in layers. In doing so I was able to determine that the access to the connections would only work when applied as "top level security" setting. Naturally I would prefer not to expose all the connections unnecessarily, but for the time being I can control it on the universe side.
This post has been reported for Wrong Forum. The current status is Closed / Resolved.
Moderator MichaelWelter closed this report Click for Details
nitin_gons
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:28 am 

Have you checked if the users mentioned by you are present in some other group which has no access?
MichaelWelter
Forum Advocate
Forum Advocate

ASUG Icon
speaker.gif*6medal_bronze.gif

flag
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:43 am 

[Moderator Note: Moving from Web Intelligence to Security and User Administration - MichaelWelter]

Latest Blog Posts
• 2019-02-22 Tableau Security Made Easy
• 2018-09-20 Hello, Tableau
• 2018-08-16 New Beginnings
mark_s

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:30 am 

Hi Nitin -

Thanks for your suggestion on the users with alternate access levels. I did check the access levels on exisiting users. I've been working on a development server, where there are only two users, outside of the administrators.

seeya.gif
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> Security and User Administration  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Jump to:  

Index | About | FAQ | RAG | Privacy | Search |  Register |  Login 

Get community updates via Twitter:

Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP