BOB: Business Objects Board
Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP

Register | Login 

Lead By Knowing (Opens a new window)  

General Notice: No events within the next 45 days.

Auditor going away in BOE 4.0 (Aurora) - rumor?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Search this topic... | Search General Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> General Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
JPetlev
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:33 pm 
Post subject: Auditor going away in BOE 4.0 (Aurora) - rumor?

Quote:
The sample audit universe is no longer supplied (installed) or supported

This is actually a rather large deal for my company and would probably delay our rollout of any upgrade substantially.

The bottom line is smaller companies don't have time to necessarily muck around with SDK information to find basic usage information. The addition of the audit universe means my supervisor can easily go in and create thier own audit report with whatever metrics they wish instantly.

If that goes away, I forsee a substantial amount of my project time being moved to creation of a usage universe. Or worse , another 3rd Party app we'd need to purchase so that we can manager our already highly priced software.

Hopefully items on this list are not final, or perhaps even rumor but being able to track usage out-of-the-box was one of the big sellign points for us.

Quote:

WebIntelligence Deprecated Features Recommended Alternative
WebI drill filter bar
Input Controls

Unless they improve the Input control limitations (specifically the number of objects in a list) then this is also going to be a big issue for us.. we use the drill filter to allow users to quickly 'filter' for a specific employee among several thousands in a report. Input controls limit to the first 1000 unique values.
Chris Pohl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

ASUG Icon
speaker.gif

flag
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:41 am 
Post subject: Re: Business Objects XI 4.0 (Aurora) – New Features !

substring wrote:
The best way to improve auditing is to open up the system database (a.k.a. CMS database). Being able to query the repository directly like we did in version 5.x helped us tremendously.

+1 to that

Then I could see us publishing auditing universes and reports here on bob downloads

DB2 v8 via CAE 8.1.1.14, Oracle 10g and ODBC (of course)

Follow me on Twitter
Search is Your Friend™
agulland
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:55 am 

Chris Pohl wrote:
substring wrote:
The best way to improve auditing is to open up the system database (a.k.a. CMS database). Being able to query the repository directly like we did in version 5.x helped us tremendously.

+1 to that

Then I could see us publishing auditing universes and reports here on bob downloads

Although useful I wouldn't want to query CMS repo directly, i'd rather put together a solution that extracts from both CMS and Audit databases into a proper star schema - then report from that. Maybe this is an open source project we could work on?

Further BI articles and reading @ www.gulland.com/wp
joepeters
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

flag
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:03 am 

agulland wrote:
Although useful I wouldn't want to query CMS repo directly, i'd rather put together a solution that extracts from both CMS and Audit databases into a proper star schema - then report from that. Maybe this is an open source project we could work on?

I started an effort along those lines. I extract the content of audit_detail and break it out into a bunch of dimension tables. So I have an audit_document_dim, audit_schedule_dim, etc. Makes it much easier to get stuff like "average rows for document refreshes by universe". I also have a nightly process that extracts user & group info from the CMS and loads it into Oracle tables so I can link with audit.

Joe
dnewton
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:21 pm 

Agreed. Building a universe on top of the audit tables would actually be very easy, if the data structures were better. And it would perform a lot faster.

We wrote a quick Data Integrator ETL job to copy the data from the BO audit tables into some custom tables, and pivot-out some of the information. The result makes the universe much simpler and reports run very quickly.
substring
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:57 pm 

dnewton wrote:
Agreed. Building a universe on top of the audit tables would actually be very easy, if the data structures were better. And it would perform a lot faster.

We wrote a quick Data Integrator ETL job to copy the data from the BO audit tables into some custom tables, and pivot-out some of the information. The result makes the universe much simpler and reports run very quickly.
That's great! May be you can sell the universe and the custom tables back to SAP, ha ha. icon_biggrin.gif
Steve Krandel
Forum Devotee
Forum Devotee

medal_bronze.gifspeaker.gif*7

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:35 pm 

dnewton wrote:

We did the same thing. But, we did it with good old PL/SQL. Our audit reports run in 10 minutes or less. We're going to give away the code at the conference in October.

JPetlev
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:16 pm 

Steve Krandel wrote:
dnewton wrote:

We did the same thing. But, we did it with good old PL/SQL. Our audit reports run in 10 minutes or less. We're going to give away the code at the conference in October.

Woo hoo! You just gave me my first ROI item for going to this conference.. "If you send me we won't have to spend X weeks developing code to to this!"

icon_mrgreen.gif

EDIT: Ack! I saw SQL and got excited.. PL/SQL = ORACLE SQL right? Damn and here I was thinking I'd have an MS SQL version in October.
dnewton
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:31 pm 
Post subject: Re: Auditor going away in BOE 4.0 (Aurora)

(Split this topic into its own thread, from http://www.forumtopics.com/busobj/viewtopic.php?t=156141 )
MJRBIM
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:35 pm 

SAP-BOBJ have just posted sample AUDIT Universes and Reports to the BOE-XI (4.0) BETA site....so it doesn't look like it is going away - but they are saying that the samples are for example only and won't be supported.

SeagateInfo 7 -> Crystal Enterprise -> BOE-XI (R2) / (R3.1) / 4.1 | Crystal ( 7 -> 2013) design |
WebI design | Best practices for Java / .Net / Web Services
nniravv
Principal Member
Principal Member

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:55 am 

MJRBIM wrote:
SAP-BOBJ have just posted sample AUDIT Universes and Reports to the BOE-XI (4.0) BETA site....

Can you please post link for this BO XI 4.0 BETA site?

Thanks
Nirav
MJRBIM
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:06 am 

You have to talk to your SAP Sales Person to get a login to the "Courtesy" BETA.

SeagateInfo 7 -> Crystal Enterprise -> BOE-XI (R2) / (R3.1) / 4.1 | Crystal ( 7 -> 2013) design |
WebI design | Best practices for Java / .Net / Web Services
JPetlev
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:41 pm 

MJRBIM wrote:
SAP-BOBJ have just posted sample AUDIT Universes and Reports to the BOE-XI (4.0) BETA site....so it doesn't look like it is going away - but they are saying that the samples are for example only and won't be supported.

Ahh well I guess that means that a fixpack or service pack might blow it up, but at least it's a good starting point.

I can't wait for October's conference to see all the new goodies in action.
Farhan Jaffery
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

speaker.gif

flag
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:50 pm 
Post subject: Re: Auditor going away in BOE 4.0 (Aurora) - rumor?

We went down the route of creating a custom audit universe in XI R1 and have since been using that with our set of custom reports. We ended up adding some custom tables (employees, reports meta data) to the audit database (without any impact on out of the box audit schema; i.e. no joins, referential integrity constraints, etc.). This custom implementation has worked so well that we never saw a need to leverage out of the box unvierse/reports.
Houston, Texas
whairnud
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:30 am 
Post subject: Re: Auditor going away in BOE 4.0 (Aurora) - rumor?

We are using a commercial tool called CMS Sync from ebiexperts. It creates a star shema from CMS repository that you can query with a kit of reports. In addition there is a small ETL that load auditor tables to a proper shema and you can compare CMS usage with inventory. Using that tool you can see active/inactive reports, users universes and objects and concentrate efforts on popular objects.
The universe easier to use than Auditor's one, and you have sample reports that you can customize to your needs.
They just added in last version an interesting new feature that can distribute cms usage through your departments as applications we use this for internal refacturation.
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> General Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 2 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to:  

Index | About | FAQ | RAG | Privacy | Search |  Register |  Login 

Get community updates via Twitter:

Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP