BOB: Business Objects Board
Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP

Register | Login 

IBIS 2014: Limitless BI 2.0 
IBIS 2014: Limitless BI 2.0 (Opens a new window)  

General Notice: Upcoming Events: BONYMAUG: May 14, BI2014 Nice, France: May 21.

Is Deski going to go away ?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Search this topic... | Search General Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> General Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Captspeed
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:36 pm 
Post subject: Re: Is Deski going to go away ?

I was on todays Deski to Webi Influence Council Webex. While I feel the overall meeting went well with lots of great discussions and collaboration, I still do not agree with BO's reasoning of why Deski is going away.
Their reason was that they have seen a recent downturn in Deski usage & licensing.
Gotta hand it to those SAP/BO executives (or whoever decides how/when to kill a popular application)! What better way to justify killing a still widely used application, then to first spawn rumors and release official statements stating the end of that application is coming, then later to justify its end because people are now no longer using it as much.
Genius, pure genius...
joepeters
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

flag
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:41 pm 

More than that -- don't add a single significant enhancement to the product in six years, then use those missing features as a reason to go to WebI.
di652
Forum Associate
Forum Associate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:07 pm 

And DESKI is still far better than CRYSTAL their legacy reporting option they are forcing down everyone's throat.

SAP are exactly what they don't like to be called saps
BIFan
Principal Member
Principal Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:18 pm 

SAPS is what they are and being a long time SAP user; I have to add that you are correct. They DO NOT like to be referred as sap. They know its a derroagotory comment. That is why they insist being called S A P.

I had the misfortune of meeting one of their sales people this week. They are by far the biggest SAPS around. If BO was purchased by SAP when I recommended them way back when; I would have definitely went another direction. Leaning towards COGNOS, which I am looking at now.
substring
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:26 pm 

BIFan wrote:
SAPS is what they are and being a long time SAP user; I have to add that you are correct. They DO NOT like to be referred as sap. They know its a derroagotory comment. That is why they insist being called S A P.

I had the misfortune of meeting one of their sales people this week. They are by far the biggest SAPS around. If BO was purchased by SAP when I recommended them way back when; I would have definitely went another direction. Leaning towards COGNOS, which I am looking at now.
The neighbor's grass is always appeared to be greener. "Big Blue" is not any better than SAP.
MichaelWelter
Forum Aficionado
Forum Aficionado

ASUG Icon
speaker.gif*6medal_bronze.gif

flag
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:37 pm 

Moderator comment: Let's keep the discussion civil, and avoid name calling or flaming. I'd hate to have to lock this topic. Thanks for your understanding.
(909)899-3002

Latest Blog Posts
• 2014-01-27 Optimizing Universe Lists of Values
• 2014-01-07 Simplified Date Prompts
• 2014-01-02 Solving Aggregate Aggravation
plessiusa
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

flag
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:16 pm 

You know its always an interesting comment this, I have clients that have many Deski reports and I pretty much tell them they need to consider moving them to Webi.
Yes Webi is missing some functionality that Deski has, but apart from the embeded VB, there really isn't anything that I can't do in Webi that Deski can do. Sometimes you just need to think outside the box a bit.
I've been using Webi now pretty much full time for the last 4 years and honestly, I don't like going back to Deski. I have missed some of the features, but they are now mostly all available in latest version of Webi.

But hey that's my opinion and everybody is entitled to theirs, but in a way I'm actually looking forward to Deski disappearing because then I don't have to worry about having the conversation anymore.

Bring on R4

Data Service

One who asks a question is only a fool for five minutes; one who does not ask a question remains a fool forever.
BoB LoblaW
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

flag
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:48 pm 

plessiusa wrote:
Bring on R4

R4 is way too short for SAP; I think you mean SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence 4.0. Rolls right off the tongue...

Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

flag
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:59 pm 

BoB LoblaW wrote:
R4 is way too short for SAP; I think you mean SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence 4.0. Rolls right off the tongue...

lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

Yeah what is it with them changing the names of everything. That is just bizarre, I mean what was wrong with xcelsius as a name. I wonder when they thought about changing the name if the person that got paid for it was paid by the letter. icon_lol.gif

I am sure though that it will be shortened probably to BI4 (which notably is one character less than before) icon_lol.gif

Data Service

One who asks a question is only a fool for five minutes; one who does not ask a question remains a fool forever.
MichaelWelter
Forum Aficionado
Forum Aficionado

ASUG Icon
speaker.gif*6medal_bronze.gif

flag
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:16 pm 

The reasoning behind the name changes is that the wanted to names of the products to give an indication of what the product is used for. That's why the changed Xcelsius to BusinessObjects Dashboard.
(909)899-3002

Latest Blog Posts
• 2014-01-27 Optimizing Universe Lists of Values
• 2014-01-07 Simplified Date Prompts
• 2014-01-02 Solving Aggregate Aggravation
Eileen King
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

ASUG Icon
speaker.gif*3

flag
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:38 am 

I've had interviews and people have no clue about what they've been asking me about...

It's only going to get more interesting when you need to have two sets of skills on your resume to show that you know how to do one thing! icon_mrgreen.gif

www.claraview.com
substring
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:18 am 

Eileen King wrote:
I've had interviews and people have no clue about what they've been asking me about...

It's only going to get more interesting when you need to have two sets of skills on your resume to show that you know how to do one thing! icon_mrgreen.gif
Or you need to put parenthesis after each of the tools with "a.k.a." on it. icon_wink.gif
Andreas
Forum Advocate
Forum Advocate

medal_silver.gif*2medal_gold.gif

flag
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:45 pm 

di652 wrote:
And DESKI is still far better than CRYSTAL their legacy reporting option they are forcing down everyone's throat.

SAP are exactly what they don't like to be called saps

Keep in mind that S A P is a German company, and in Germany you often hear people saying SAP (as in one word, and not S.A.P).
The word sap has obviously no meaning in German.. icon_cool.gif
The Crystal faction was also strong after BusinessObjects acquired Crystal.

I do see the unnecessary name changes of many products, which is just sowing confusion among the customers, but that seems typical for SAP, even Gartner once scolded SAP for it.

And just to be fair: Support with SAP can be great (I do know as I have worked in a large project with SAP colleagues, which lead to the new feature of a semi-stateless mode available for Xcelsius Dashboards utilizing BEx via BICS with SP6 of SAP EP/BW 7.01), see Max Attention program by SAP for clients. And BusinessObjects as a company did not develop really new ground-breaking features for Universe designer since version 5.0, let's be honest.

Focusing on Data Visualization, SAP BI 4.0, SAP connectivity, Data Modeling, and SAP HANA Certified Associate
Mak 1
Forum Devotee
Forum Devotee

flag
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:10 am 

Quote:
Support with SAP can be great

As it could be with Business Objects, it depends on client spend / size.

If you are on a large, or expensive, roll out you can work with some of the best people they have got.
There are also major enhancements, some of which we have wanted to see for years, so, not all bad icon_smile.gif .

Red Adair: "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> General Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 12 of 12 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Jump to:  

Index | About | FAQ | RAG | Privacy | Search |  Register |  Login 

Get community updates via Twitter:

Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP