BOB: Business Objects Board
Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP

Register | Login 

Want to sponsor BOB? 
Want to sponsor BOB? (Opens a new window)  

General Notice: No events within the next 45 days.

Universe and Data Access enhancements
1 members found this topic helpful
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Search this topic... | Search Semantic Layer / Universe Designer... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> Semantic Layer / Universe Designer  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Marek Chladny
Forum Advocate
Forum Advocate

flag
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:54 pm 
Post subject: Re: Universe and Data Access enhancements

Simple idea: The number of joins displayed below the table.

In more complex universes it would help to show below the table the number of joins the table has with other tables - it could be shown in a similar way as the number of rows in the table can be shown below the table on the left side. On the right side there could be the number of joins.

In some complex universes where joins and tables are everywhere, I would prefer to see that lets say a date dimension is joined to 10 other tables. And since I have 10 fact tables in the universe, I know immediately by the visually checking the date dimension that all is OK and I have not forgot to join the dim table to any fact table.

Simple stuff, no extravaganza-type of feature icon_cool.gif

www.perpendulum.com

Latest Blog Posts
• 2013-07-16 Number of reports in a WebI document
• 2013-04-01 Optional prompts in a universe
• 2012-06-08 Calendar table script for Oracle
summoner
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:54 pm 

Idea: Grouping or filtering joins in selecting joins Context UI. Naming joins may also a approach

Choosing joins for a context from unsorted join list is a pain icon_sad.gif
Chuck Wiese

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:04 pm 

Support for the WITH clause.....and that the conidtions get applied to the WITH subquery. (have'nt tested but hope nested prompts does this)
prinzartus
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:40 am 

IDEA:
For Universe Builder;
The option to name joins would be very helpful.
The DesignerTool should reference joins onbly by their name (in list mode for example). The SQL-join itself should just be viewable as sort of the join's definition.
--
An example for meaningful name would be "shipped to" for a join between a "shippings" fact table joined to clients' masterdata.
--
That would really help a lot when maintinang complex universes and theit many contexts.
--
And I doubt that this will be, hard to implement..... Evne Objects do have some sort of ID, a name and a definition.
Same goes for Contexts, they have a name and a definition, which is a set of joins.
I would expect the same for joins.....
cdavies
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:50 am 

IDEA: Improved Find/Replace Functionality

Scenario: You have an SAP BI based universe which by default contains Classes and Objects defined by their Level, L00 and L01 etc. The Users do not wish to see the L01 so you need to do a global Find L01, Replace <null>. You can't do this. The Find/Replace functionality does not allow the Replace to be null.

Options are:
1. To do this manually which is impractable when these universes contain in some cases over 20,000 objects.
2. Use the Update a Universe VBA spreadsheet. This only works for very small Universes, is very slow and continually falls over with large universes.

The Workaround I've used is to put a <space> in the Replace Option and live with the offset display. (Interestingly if you have a Detail object the starts with a <space> and you change its qualification to a Dimension, the <space> is removed!)

With more and more clients connecting to SAP this way I think this enhancement is a must.

agulland
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:35 am 

When using the Query Panel in designer a quick snapshot view of the data returned by the query would be useful - a simple table would be fine maybe with projection.

Further BI articles and reading @ www.gulland.com/wp
cdavies
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:44 am 

These would be useful:

Tools > 'WebI Rich Client'

Structure Pane - Expand All and Collapse All, to open and close all the Class/Sub Class classes, and Dimension/Detail objects

jbullman
Forum Member
Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:49 am 

View-time Security: whereby a report can be scheduled for many groups, and each group member only sees their own data when viewing the resulting instance.
vamsi1478
Forum Member
Forum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:57 am 
Post subject: what is the main purpose of QaaWS

LANFIELD wrote:
dnewton wrote:
Idea: Reusable queries. (This is a grey area between report design and Universe design) I'd like to create a query with complex filtering (WHERE clause) logic, and then reuse that query across 3 separate reports. If I change the single query, all downstream reports would be affected.

This could be hacked by using QaaWS, but I'd like to see it a standalone thing, a sort of "Query Publisher" and then a webi data provider could simply point at a Query and not just a Universe.

they had this in seagate info they were called views. you could even run the "view" on a schedule and the view data would be shared in many reoprts. like a little snapshot.
vamsi1478
Forum Member
Forum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:01 am 
Post subject: Need addon which shrinks or enlarges particular component

cdavies wrote:
IDEA: Improved Find/Replace Functionality

Scenario: You have an SAP BI based universe which by default contains Classes and Objects defined by their Level, L00 and L01 etc. The Users do not wish to see the L01 so you need to do a global Find L01, Replace <null>. You can't do this. The Find/Replace functionality does not allow the Replace to be null.

Options are:
1. To do this manually which is impractable when these universes contain in some cases over 20,000 objects.
2. Use the Update a Universe VBA spreadsheet. This only works for very small Universes, is very slow and continually falls over with large universes.

The Workaround I've used is to put a <space> in the Replace Option and live with the offset display. (Interestingly if you have a Detail object the starts with a <space> and you change its qualification to a Dimension, the <space> is removed!)

With more and more clients connecting to SAP this way I think this enhancement is a must.
LaurenBOXI
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:41 pm 

This is exactly what I would like to see as well.
Dave Rathbun
Forum Advocate
Forum Advocate

speaker.gif*16

flag
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:34 pm 

When a cube universe is built now (with XI 3), you can suppress the L00, L01 prefix. I don't know how this impacts existing universes, or if you can make that change without breaking an existing report. That's something to investigate.

Latest Blog Posts
• 2019-09-19 Stephen Few Blog Post on Multivariate Visualization
• 2019-02-11 Update on Query Banding
• 2018-10-19 BI Evolution
divyaprashanth

flag
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:48 pm 

Load Universe into IN-MEMORY creating a MEGA-CUBE. This would speed up data access for complex reporting and analysis. Once the Universe is in memory all the associated report can access the objects in report cube and the MEGA-CUBE thus enabling reporting of complex logic with much easy.
Antremons
Forum Associate
Forum Associate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:56 am 

Sorry, if someone already had mentioned this, i did not read all thread.

@Prompt Editor enhancement. To allow set 'Optional prompt' while creating the prompt on Designer level..

RikDeclercq
Forum Associate
Forum Associate

flag
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:50 am 

jbullman wrote:
View-time Security: whereby a report can be scheduled for many groups, and each group member only sees their own data when viewing the resulting instance.

I think this will be available in 4.0.
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> Semantic Layer / Universe Designer  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 3 of 4 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to:  

Index | About | FAQ | RAG | Privacy | Search |  Register |  Login 

Get community updates via Twitter:

Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP