BOB: Business Objects Board
Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP

Register | Login 

Follow BOB on Twitter! 
Follow BOB on Twitter! (Opens a new window)  

General Notice: Upcoming Events: SAP TechEd: Sep 28.

XI 3.0 Security for Mere Mortals
4 members found this topic helpful
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Search this topic... | Search BOB's Downloads... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> BOB's Downloads  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Adious

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:43 am 
Post subject: Re: XI 3.0 Security for Mere Mortals

I extracted the Excel file...How do we connect to CMS to extract the CMS documentation. I dont see any Login credentials in the excel sheet...
I am using XI 3.1 and Ecel 2003..

Thanks in Advance.
Dwayne Hoffpauir
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

ASUG Icon
medal_gold.gif*2speaker.gif*5medal_bronze.gif

flag
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:53 pm 

Adious wrote:
I extracted the Excel file...How do we connect to CMS to extract the CMS documentation. I dont see any Login credentials in the excel sheet...
I am using XI 3.1 and Ecel 2003..

The Excel sheet is just for your own development / drafting of your security model. It is not intended to interact with the repository.

rsa_77

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:33 am 

hi ,

I have to set up security this way:
Two folders Folder 1 & Folder 2.
Two user groups Group 1 & Group 2.
Two users , user 1 from Group1 and user 2 from Group2.

User 1 should only see Folder 1 and not Folder 2.
User 2 should only see Folder 2 and not Folder 1.

Administrator should see all the folders, Folder 1 & Folder 2.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance...
gauravsays

flag
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:55 am 

Hi,

What is the work around if group Administrators looses all its rights over an application (e.g. Web-I) incl. inherited?

Thanks,
Gaurav
joepeters
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

flag
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:57 am 

ahmed.zuhair
Forum Member
Forum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:21 am 

hi , do we have to set all these reights mannually or is there a way that all this rights mattrix could be translated into scripts which would set user security settings for BO, I heard there is some utility like that if kindly someone can confirm and share ?
JPetlev
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:45 am 

Unless something new has come out since I last set things up last year.. manually is the only way. It's sort of a PITA, but once it'd done.. it's done.

There is a 3rd party tool, called 360View which I've heard makes it easier to manage security once in place, but not sure how good it would be for a first time setup.
samgreene
Forum Member
Forum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:52 am 

Looking at the list of 1352 permissions, it seems very overwhelming to start building my own custom access levels to use a building blocks. Can anyone point me to resources for getting started on this? I only have a couple weeks to get this going and it looks like a whole lot of trial and error.

Any guidance on getting started?
Andreas
Forum Advocate
Forum Advocate

medal_silver.gif*2medal_gold.gif
Location: *** BEEP ...Dreaming of Africa... leave No message ; ) BEEP ***

flag
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:00 pm 

Hire me, I am available in Dec icon_wink.gif

It depends what your requirments are:
- universe designers
- report developers
- power-users
- mere report consumers
- no delegated administration

If so you should be able to set something up like that within 5-10 working days (design & build).

Andreas
Forum Advocate
Forum Advocate

medal_silver.gif*2medal_gold.gif
Location: *** BEEP ...Dreaming of Africa... leave No message ; ) BEEP ***

flag
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:03 pm 

ahmed.zuhair wrote:
hi , do we have to set all these reights mannually or is there a way that all this rights mattrix could be translated into scripts which would set user security settings for BO, I heard there is some utility like that if kindly someone can confirm and share ?

There is possibly... available from SAP is a so called Consulting Solution, ask for the Workflow Assistant (it ain't for free though).

Scott_at_Pax

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:52 am 

Currently we have a group of duplicate accounts for users who have the ability to ONLY refresh Financial reports against a universe (FNN), but also need to have the ability to create an adhoc against another specific financial universe (FNN_MM).

We are in the processing of converting our authentication method from Enterprise (username/password) to trusted authentication using a CAC so duplicate accounts will no longer work.

If we grant adhoc access to these users primary account, they would then have it on both financial universes. Not acceptable.

Any ideas

thanks,
Scott
Sebastien Goiffon
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:30 am 

No if you are running XI3 it's possible to setup this right @universe level. Play with the security command create and edit queries based on the current universe !
Scott_at_Pax

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:25 pm 

Sebastien,
Thanks for the quick response.

What I would like to have, if possible, is one of the users I have identified to login to Infoview. Run the standard reports as normal built against the FNN universe. But if they want to create a new adhoc query only the FNN_MM universe appears.

Currently as configured if the users was in both groups (refresh and adhoc), since they have the ability to refresh a report built with the FNN universe it shows as an available universe to create an adhoc against.

I would like to not even allow the users to see the universe if they cant create an adhoc against it.

Anyway that is possible?

thanks,
Scott
JPetlev
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:56 am 

Scott_at_Pax wrote:
I would like to not even allow the users to see the universe if they cant create an adhoc against it.

Anyway that is possible?

thanks,
Scott

EDIT:
After thinking about this a bit, I'm not 100% sure if XIR3 'hides' the universe from view if you don't have ad-hoc against it.. I know at the very least you get an error if you try to select it.. but it might still show in the list if that's your concern. My current environment is XIR2 so I cannot 100% sure say what XIR3 does.

However, the original post below might be helpful anyway if it's a permissions issue:

-------
Since I've not see a response yet, I'll answer this.
Yes..it's possible.

The issue sounds like it's a function of how your groups were given permissions on the universe itself, not the fact that the user is in a group.

To fix things, I'd suggest you think about the following setup:

End goal is that on each universe you want two main functions:
ADHOC or REFRESH

I'd set up the following CUSTOM ACCESS levels:

Adhoc
RefreshOnly

Giving those access levels specific persmissions from universe/webi/desk sections as needed (Only give what is relevant to creating reports from universes, nothing else. These groups only will control universe permissions! Don't fall into the trap of giving it a few folder permissions or other stuff, it'll just cause you issues in the long run).

Then create a set of USER GROUPS

FNN-Adhoc / FNN-RefreshOnly
FNN_MM-Adhoc / FNN_MM-RefreshOnly

Set the permissions on the universe objects as follows:
Universe FNN -> Group FNN-ADHOC gets attached to the "Adhoc" custom access level.
Universe FNN -> Group FNN-RefreshOnly gets attached to the "RefreshOnly" custom access level.

Do the same with the FNN_MM universe.

Then when a user needs access, you put them in either the refresh or adhoc user group for the appropriate universe.

If you need the ability for users to have ad-hoc against ALL universes, you could create other User Groups which combine the appropriate universe groups.

ie: A user is placed in a group called "Adhoc-ALLUniverses". That Group itself is a member of both the FNN-Adhoc and FNN_MM-Adhoc groups, and therefore inherits all the security from it's parent group.

That way a user only has to go into one group and get all the permissions needed.

XIR3 really added a whole new level of complexity to security, it's almost too complex for it's own good sometimes, but the benefit is, you can do almost anything from a security perspective.

The key to it all I've realized after working with several companies and multiple environments, is making sure you set everything up first on paper/excel/whiteboards so you can easily see which groups can do what before you go messing with the system itself, it'll save so much headaches.
Scott_at_Pax

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:13 pm 

JPetlev,
Thanks for the reply.

I will use the information you provided and see if I can set up this security on my DEV instance.

Verify it works and then move it to our PROD environment.

thanks,
Scott
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> BOB's Downloads  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 4 of 6 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Jump to:  

Index | About | FAQ | RAG | Privacy | Search |  Register |  Login 

Get community updates via Twitter:

Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP