BOB: Business Objects Board
Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP

Register | Login 

Follow BOB on Twitter! 
Follow BOB on Twitter! (Opens a new window)  

General Notice: Upcoming Events: BOBJ conference in Paris: Mar 28, PGHBOUG: Apr 4.

BOB Member of the Year 2008 Results

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Search this topic... | Search About BOB... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> About BOB  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Bob
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:04 pm 
Post subject: BOB Member of the Year 2008 Results

We are pleased to announce that Dwayne Hoffpauir has been a repeat selection as the 2008 BOB Member of the Year. Dwayne was one of the top vote recipients from the day voting opened to the day it closed so it is obvious that his efforts are well appreciated by the BOB community.

Andreas also repeated this year as he was once again voted into second place. Thanks, Andreas, for your excellent contributions to BOB in the past. We look forward to your continued contributions in the future.

Third place went to Michael Welter this year. Michael was in the top group last year but didn't quite crack into the top three; this year Michael was in the top running for the entire time voting was open. Michael has been a regular presenter at the national user conference and a long time user of the products having started with them in 1999.

Rather than just present the winners we thought it would be fun to do short interviews to learn more about our top vote getters and what they do outside of BOB. We interviewed Dwayne last year, so he opted out this year. Andreas, in his words, is "taking a break" at the moment and declined to be interviewed this year. But Michael got up at 6am (his local time) to give us an hour of his weekend so we could learn a bit more about what makes him tick. icon_cool.gif

=====================
BOB: First, congratulations for placing in the top three for the BOB Member of the Year voting for 2008, I think it's recognition that is well deserved.
Michael: Thank you. I'm quite honored and humbled.

BOB: I went back and looked at your profile, and your join date was early in August of 2002 so that means that you got pulled in before the formal launch date, but a couple of months after the initial development started. Do you remember how you became aware of BOB?
Michael: I had created an earlier user ID, then abandoned it before GoLive. I was involved in the early discussions of a replacement for the email ListServe.

BOB: Do you remember when you joined the original mailing list?
Michael: I believe that was in the Fall of 1999. That's when I bought the software and started taking classes.

BOB: At that time you were a "user" rather than a consultant as you are today, correct?
Michael: Yes, that is correct. I was working for Verizon Wireless, and was a Business Objects customer.

BOB: And today you work for Westbay Solutions, a consulting partner based out of Santa Ana, California. Does Westbay know of and support your involvement with BOB?
Michael: Yes, in fact, they promote my involvement with BOB. We have the original BOB T-Shirt on display in our main office.
BOB: How fun! I had no idea...

BOB: What is your role at Westbay?
Michael: I have two primary roles. I am a Sr. Consultant as well as an Instructor. Our philosophy is that training classes lead to consulting, and that has certainly been true for the 6 years that I have been with Westbay.
BOB: And it gives you the opportunity to spread the gospel of BOB to your training classes icon_smile.gif
Michael: Absolutely. I spend about 15 minutes in each class doing a "BOB demo".

BOB: I did some checking, and the three areas that you are most active on BOB are the Semantic Layer, Business Objects Desktop, and <ahem> Off Topic icon_razz.gif Does any of that surprise you?
Michael: Hmmm . . . no comment on that 3rd one.
BOB: I think the "Please do not post here" topic is going to be quite a legacy icon_smile.gif
Michael: My forte is universe development, and my background in reporting is primarily Deski, so those two don't surprise me. The "Do not post" thread will most likely be gone by the time this interview is published.

BOB: In looking back over your posting history, you have been one of the most regular contributors to BOB, averaging just barely under 100 posts per month. The level of activity has been relatively constant over the years as well. Does BOB have a regular part in your schedule? Morning, evening, some standard time that you tend to log in and post?
Michael: I jump on BOB every morning, and then check in a few times during the day, and sometimes evenings as well.

Michael: Back in 1999, when I got started with Business Objects, the ListServe was a critical part of our success. My involvement with BOB is my way to pay back, or should I say, pay forward, for the help I got when I was new with this product.

BOB: Do you have a favorite BOB story, and if so, what is it?
Michael: Well, pre-BOB: When I was learning the tool, I remember one time I was really struggling with a Full Client document. I just couldn't get it right. I sent a message to the ListServe. Steve Krandel replied, and after several unsuccessful attempts to assist me via the ListServe, he finally invited me to email the document to him. I did. An hour later, he emailed it back, fixed, with step by step instructions on how he fixed it. Steve was a consultant at that time, and it blew me away that a consultant would do what he did for free. That had a huge impact on me, and I've admired Steve ever since.
BOB: That's a great story! Thanks for sharing it.
Michael: You're welcome

BOB: If you could suggest a new feature or change for BOB, what would it be?
Michael: I think the most important feature that could be added with be the ability to search on phrases. That would be huge, at least for me.
BOB: It's a popular request. We're looking at two different solutions for that. I hope you can be patient icon_smile.gif
Michael: I have been so far. icon_wink.gif

BOB: And now to wrap up with a few extra questions for the personal touch...

BOB: You have a guitar in your signature, do you have a favorite musician or group?
Michael: I have several. I think my favorite bands would be Newsboys, Jars of Clay, and Kutless.
BOB: If I remember correctly, you have a studio in your house?
Michael: Yes, but it's been scaled back since we moved in 2006. It's primarily a "mastering" studio now. I haven't set up a sound room here.

BOB: Do you have other outside hobbies or interests other than music?
Michael: I love camping and hiking, but don't get the opportunity to do either very often. My last trip was in July, when I spent a week in Yosemite alone, camping and hiking.
BOB: That sounds like a great trip, a retreat of sorts
Michael: It was, indeed.

BOB: Last question: what is your favorite meal of the day, and why?
Michael: I think I would go with Lunch. It's a break in the middle of the workday, and I use it as a way to clear my mind. I have a policy of eating lunch away from the desk, so I can clear my mind of the issues of the morning. It usually gives me a more productive afternoon.

BOB: Anything that you would you like to say to close this interview?
Michael: I would like to thank all my fans out there that voted for me. My success is their success. icon_biggrin.gif

BOB: Thank you, Michael, for getting up so early on a Saturday to share a bit more of your time with the BOB community, and congratulations again on being selected as one of the BOB Members of the Year.

It is not enough for a handful of experts to attempt the solution of a problem, to solve it and then to apply it. The restriction of knowledge to an elite group destroys the spirit of society and leads to its intellectual impoverishment.
-- Albert Einstein
Marek Chladny
Forum Advocate
Forum Advocate

flag
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:19 pm 
Post subject: Re: BOB Member of the Year 2008 Results

My congratulations to Dwayne, Andreas and Michael icon_exclaim.gif

You guys really deserve it thumbsup.gif And I hope you will continue in your help in BOB.

Thanks.

www.perpendulum.com

Latest Blog Posts
• 2013-07-16 Number of reports in a WebI document
• 2013-04-01 Optional prompts in a universe
• 2012-06-08 Calendar table script for Oracle
MikeD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

flag
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:50 pm 

Ditto ... Dwayne, Andreas and Michael are not only deserving of this accolade - but are also a true reflection of the heart & soul of BOBJ.
This place is a classic example of community involvement at it's best and I think much THANKS is also due to ALL the Moderators and forum Administrators that have consistantly provided an excellent service to the Business Objects community.

Well Done Guys & Gals icon_exclaim.gif

Forum Devotee
Forum Devotee

medal_bronze.gifspeaker.gif*7

flag
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:31 am 

Quote:
BOB: Do you have a favorite BOB story, and if so, what is it?
Michael: Well, pre-BOB: When I was learning the tool, I remember one time I was really struggling with a Full Client document. I just couldn't get it right. I sent a message to the ListServe. Steve Krandel replied, and after several unsuccessful attempts to assist me via the ListServe, he finally invited me to email the document to him. I did. An hour later, he emailed it back, fixed, with step by step instructions on how he fixed it. Steve was a consultant at that time, and it blew me away that a consultant would do what he did for free. That had a huge impact on me, and I've admired Steve ever since.

Now, I'm all verklempt.

I agree. All 3 are very deserving. I have dialed my BOB time way back this year. No one has even noticed. The community is so strong that no single contibutor matters that much. These 3 just stand out a little more due to their dedictaion.

haider
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

ASUG Icon
medal_gold.gif

flag
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:55 am 

Congratulations to Dwayne for being chosen rightly again as "BOB member of year 2008".
And to the other two runners-up Andreas and Michael. icon_smile.gif

Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:29 am 

icon_biggrin.gif Good to see Dwayne again....Congrats Dwayne, Andreas and Michael icon_biggrin.gif

Regards

Rajasekar
SAP Certified Associate - SAP Business Objects Enterprise XIR2

SAP Business Objects XIR3 | Xcelsius | Data visualization
Nick Daniels
Forum Aficionado
Forum Aficionado

flag
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:22 am 

Congrats guys and good interview Michael icon_wink.gif
aquariansp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:40 am 

Congratulations Dwayne!!!!

~aquariansp
bernard timbal
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

flag
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:23 am 

Clap Clap seeya.gif
(Co)author of 2 books about SAP BusinessObjects XI3.x and BI4.x Administration
KhoushikTTT
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

flag
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:05 am 

Congratulations to Dwayne, Andreas and Michael thumbsup.gif
Principal Member
Principal Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:16 am 

Congrats Dwayne, Andreas and Michael thumbsup.gif

We look forward to your continued support!
BO_Chief
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:44 pm 

Congrats... Dwayne, Andreas and Michael to be in Top 3.

Dwayne you made it in a row... icon_biggrin.gif

Does it include any code you already tried ? (working or not..)
Did you explain what you want for results?
If any of those elements are missing,chances are you didn't post enough information for us to help you!
Dwayne Hoffpauir
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

ASUG Icon
medal_gold.gif*2speaker.gif*5medal_bronze.gif

flag
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:48 am 

BO_Chief wrote:
Dwayne you made it in a row... icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks ... to BO_Chief and all the "Congratulators."

Also, while it is done periodically, it can never be done often enough. Let's thank Dave Rathbun as well. He takes himself out of consideration for this contest, intending the contest as a kind of thank you from him, but we all know the REAL driving force behind BOB's success. Sure, BOB keeps going and getting better because of the entire membership, but Dave's leadership and vision (just look at the major upgrade this past year) deserve recognition as well.

Thanks Dave!

Wolfgang Bidner
Forum Associate
Forum Associate

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:25 am 

thumbsup.gif seeya.gif cheers.gif cheers.gif cheers.gif

- my congratulations!

-wobi

Forum Advocate
Forum Advocate

ASUG Icon
speaker.gif*6medal_bronze.gif

flag
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:37 am 

Dwayne Hoffpauir wrote:
Thanks Dave!

Well, said, Dwayne. Dave ROCKS!!!

Latest Blog Posts
• 2019-02-22 Tableau Security Made Easy
• 2018-09-20 Hello, Tableau
• 2018-08-16 New Beginnings
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> About BOB  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 2 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to:  

Index | About | FAQ | RAG | Privacy | Search |  Register |  Login 

Get community updates via Twitter:

Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP