BOB: Business Objects Board
Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP

Register | Login 

Follow BOB on Twitter! 
Follow BOB on Twitter! (Opens a new window)  

General Notice: Upcoming Events: PGHBOUG: Nov 1.

BO tech support page not working / new SAP Support Site woes
3 members found this topic helpful
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Search this topic... | Search General Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> General Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Dave Rathbun
Forum Advocate
Forum Advocate

speaker.gif*16

flag
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:39 am 
Post subject: Re: BO tech support page not working / new SAP Support Site

I am quoting this entire post to avoid taking something out of context... my apologies for the long quote in advance, but I think it's important. My response follows.

kurt wrote:
Rob123 wrote:
Your not the only one with hangups... After struggling through the portals to find the BO piece within SAP I found out that all my recently added users for support access had been deleted. I called support to find out why they had been removed...

I gave them my ID number... they repeat it back. Its incorrect.
I give it again... they repeat it back. Its incorrect.
I give it again.... still not right.... I ask him if he is listening to me?

I get hung up on. Fine by me, I was getting tired of the conversation anyway. Apparently my Hindi isn't up to snuff when calling the Business Objects of Americas support line.
SAP can deal with our legal department instead as far as I'm concerned. My company is paying for support that they are not getting. Its out of my hands.

Rob, the business objects company is solely responsible for outsourcing their support team. Please confine your ire on the company and do not mention any other useless stuffs like a particular language (as you have mentioned "Hindi") , which clearly points to a set of community. J

kurt, a bit of additional information on this post. The moderator team did discuss the post you quoted as to whether it could be considered offensive or not. Those that responded in that discussion were generally (not 100% but majority) of the opinion that no direct insult was intended to a specific group of people. Rather it was an "icing on the cake" moment where the original poster finally got through to someone in tech support (on the phone) and then had a further communications challenge due to the fact that they could not understand the person on the other end of the phone. This is not new; the concepts and issues with outsourcing support to different countries have been discussed on this board before. It's all part of the situation... a situation that has been made worse because of the current state of affairs with the support portal.

Was the post controversial? Yes, otherwise the moderators would not have been discussing it. BOB is a largely professional community, and our users are quite good at self-moderating. In all of the years that I have been involved here I think we have only banned one real person (and a whole bunch of spammers, but that's another story) from the site.

As a result of the discussion, we opted to leave the post as it was. I do apologize if you felt offended. Hopefully my explanation helps clarify why the post was left in place.

Latest Blog Posts
• 2019-09-19 Stephen Few Blog Post on Multivariate Visualization
• 2019-02-11 Update on Query Banding
• 2018-10-19 BI Evolution
irish_stan
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

flag
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:21 am 

At last I am making progress! after I week I have been reassigned as a "super administrator" after they intially they had the same user twice with different 's' id's who had left the company 4 years ago. Now the only thing I need is a password to go with it and I will be able to log a call ( I won't be holding my breath)

Cheers, Stan

jsanzone
Forum Associate
Forum Associate

flag
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:18 am 

Stan,

Could you possibly give a quick run-down on how you (or was it they) achieved granting you as a "super administrator"? For instance, did you send several e-mails, call on the phone, visit them personally, steak dinner, what? My situation, I'm not sure is unique or not, but out of my entire organization, only I received "the e-mail" (or what was supposed to have been "the letter") with an S- number, and according to when I log in I'm supposed to be a "super administrator" but when I go to execute said privileges it will not let me. After two e-mails and one phone conversation everyone agrees that I'm not a full "super administrator" after all and after the last phone conversation the agent on the line said that she would send an e-mail to Germany to get this fixed (this all transpired between 10 and 14 Jul), so here I'm sitting, like a half-a** "super administrator" with nothing else to do, yet we are fully paid up for tech support. nopity.gif

Thanks,
John
kurt
Principal Member
Principal Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:49 am 

Dave thanks for looking over it. I am fine with your explanation and I truly understand the difficulties involved while communicating with the BO support team. Just the mention of a particular language did not go well with me. I really appreciate your reply.
Rob123
Forum Member
Forum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:50 am 

I just thought I'd post an update...

On a good note, the SAP site didn't erase my readded users. I've let them loose on it with their passwords to find their way through it...

On another note, literally speaking... I sent an email to the 'support.america@sap.com' site with a question and 2 days later got this reply:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your e-mail.

In order to ensure that you query is dealt with effectively please forward to one of the following e-mail addresses based on your location.

EMEA Region: support.bosapemea@sap.com

ASIA: support.bosapasia@sap.com

USA: support.bosapamerica@sap.com

Alternatively please navigate on the following link where you will find you Local Support Hotline numbers.

https://websmp104.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/011000358700000547712008E

Kind Regards

Ian McWalter

SAP Service Marketplace Team
Email: service@sap.com
SAP Service Marketplace: www.service.sap.com

So this is an FYI for all you North Americans... save your emailed questions the round trip and try some of the above addresses to get an answer. (I can't wait to try one and see what happens). As for Ian McWalter's advice about calling the Hotline numbers well I related that experience in my post yesterday.

Kurt, I apologize if I hurt your feelings. It was not my intention. I am simply representing a company that is a paying customer of SAP to whom I feel a contractual obligation is not being met. I'm actually fluent in English, French and Spanish (the core European languages of North America). Its precisely because of that I know that there are limits to one's ability to precisely communicate with an extended vocabulary. My expectation is that paying customers from North America should be serviced by speakers of those languages who use it as their first language. Not their second or third...

Also, your comment "business objects company is solely responsible for outsourcing their support team" is a little disengenious. I've been using BO now for the better part of a decade, since rel 4. As a French owned company based outside of Paris North American customer support was in San Jose California. When BO acquired Crystal in Dec 2003, they maintained the Vancouver, British Columbia, customer support center open and several of my calls were routed there. Now 2008, SAP has moved the customer support to Mumbai.

Now, I have seen the "bad old days" of BO customer support but over the last few years there was a genuine commitment by BO to improve things. I actually think the merger of Crystal/BO went extremely well. Neither community sufferred and I think BO as a product became a far better offerring. On a fundamental level BO and Crystal similar customers competing for the same customer base.

Enter SAP. Its apparent they are using the BO customer base to leverage their core product. They have in the process demonstrated what borders on apathy to that same client base. As I have spent now several hours browsing the portal it says all over it SAP has a commitment to BO users and service but they aren't demonstrating it. Quite the opposite actually. 99% of the info in the portal has nothing to do with BO or what we do and need from their corporate data resources. The moving of all customer support for BO to Mumbai was purely an SAP corporate decision and in terms of meeting the needs of the BO community it is retrograde IMO.

Like many BO users I had a 'wait and see' approach with the new owners of BO. Judging by what I've seen with a customer support switch I'll be generous and just describe it as amateurish. As a public relations exercise to impress me with SAP software and management I'll humbly suggest its a complete flop.

Cheers,

Rob
Diane1969
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:17 am 

joepeters wrote:
This has caught Cindi's attention:
The SAP/Business Objects Support Blunder

I am so very pleased that the IT press are now getting wind of this customer relations disaster!

Clearly big companies such as SAP care little for their customers, only their money, in my humble opinion. Complain as much as you want but they (and I mean those guys in the board room) won't care just so long as your money is in their bank.

But at least the press are sensing story, and hopefully they will turn this on its head in favour of the customer. Of course SAP's PR team will soon get to work with the usual soundbites including "The vast majority of our customers are very satisfied with our Customer Support" or "Of course there will be relatively small technical glitches, but overall everyone is very happy!" blah blah.

Inevitably SAP will probably ignore the press in the same way they ignore the customer. They'll just go marching on gobbling up other indie BI companies and add to the customer gloom & doom.

And spare a thought for the 1st & 2nd line support guys on the SAP/BO tech desks. It would seem they have been dumped with this massive transitions with the smallest of time-frames but the steepest of learning curves. They get kicked by their managers, and abused by the frustrated customers. Yet the suits who made these unreasonable deadlines and probably collectioning their bonuses for a job well done!

Rant over.
newgun
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:08 pm 

When I called them (we only had one person in their system and that person had left the company), the nice lady was able to let me log in as the s-admin (that went to the ex-coworker). She also created a s-admin for me - but I had to log in as the official s-admin then modify myself. It seems I can use myself's login to perform admin work now - and I plan to delete the other s-admin later on.
Bobarella
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:10 pm 

Rob123 wrote:
USA: support.bosapamerica@sap.com
So this is an FYI for all you North Americans... save your emailed questions the round trip and try some of the above addresses to get an answer. (I can't wait to try one and see what happens).

Don't hold your breath too long. I actually emailed support.bosapamerica@sap.com on 7/9 to try to find out how to get a login, and to ask what happened to our email and snail mail, and have yet to receive a reply.

flag
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:46 pm 

Well after several emails to our Account Manager,(who I have to say has been very reactive to everything we've said) we finally managed to access the SAP support site! Full of hope we entered the login details and password several hundred times , basically everytime a new screen appeared, clicked on the button to log a new case, and guess what ? "An error has occurred, please use a different server"

Why did that not surprise me at all!!!!!

banghead.gif banghead.gif banghead.gif
Mullzey
Forum Member
Forum Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:56 pm 

I had to contact the individual 2 levels above my account manager to finally get some assistance. He copied/pasted portions of an internal email to me stating that: SAP FAILED TO MIGRATE OVER 20% of the BO CLIENTS TO THE NEW SAP SUPPORT SYSTEM DATABASE. It went live on 07/07/08. Smooth transition eh?

The best part is they do not know when this migration will be completed. I didn't think support would be worse under SAP, was I wrong. In the meantime, we are being directed to live support in the Americas, by phone. We tried logging in with our new user ids/passwords again today ( 9 days after the SAP Support Portal go-live date) and it still fails to recognize us.

Best of luck to you. iamwithstupid.gif > SAP
substring
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:39 pm 

According to the SAP web site, they recommend the customers to use the toll-free number of 1-800-677-7271 to contact support. Has anyone tried that?
newgun
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:09 pm 

Business Objects support for US is a separate line at 866-890-7686, based on SAP website (
https://websmp201.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/011000358700000547712008/)
800-677-7271 is the SAP North America support line, don't know whether they will handle BOB support calls or simply re-route the calls to 866-890-7686.
sfaridi
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:15 pm 

Looks like this thread will take over do not post thread by next week, what do you say Michael?
Forum Member
Forum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:58 pm 

Substring, the number I called the other day (and wrote a post about) came directly from the SAP portal... USA 1866 8907686. No I haven't tried your number but all english language speakers get routed to Mumbai and they hung up on me... I'm not expecting any better customer service than my first attempt.

In any case I don't think they could help me anyway. While I can get into the portal I can't access our open cases. I also can't open new cases. I'm very pessimistic about the level of support they can offer because the whole old system was automated. I never called tech support because I had easy questions to ask.

Here's a question for you guys... I feel like complaining to SAP, just who do I complain to? In my previous post copy-pasted my letter from Ian McWalter... since I don't have his personal SAP email address I thought I'd write him an open letter...

Dear Ian McWalter,

Thank you for your prompt reply to my email telling me who else within your company I should have sent my email to, I just assumed that your support.america@sap.com was the correct place and you could help me as you brazenly advertised it all over the portal you sent me to. My mistake and I apologize. I also don't mind that it was a brush-off. You see, you had the courtesy to give me a prompt brush-off so for that I am sincerely grateful. Others have had to wait up to 7 days for their brush-offs so having received one as promptly as you sent me yours shows significant improvement in the quality of your brush-offs!

Also while I'm on the topic of the quality of your service I just wanted to add that after calling the phone number you suggested I use one of your customer service reps hung up on me. Clearly my use of English was not to his liking as he was disgusted by it. Once again I apologize for my lack of understanding of your representatives language skills. Clearly I expected too much or was speaking in the wrong language. Perhaps we aren't paying you enough for this service and you could suggest someone I could send a check to cover hurt-feelings costs and language training. Since your phone reps won't talk to me, please extend to them my deepest apologies.

Lastly and most importantly, it was just last week I had an open case. Now before you made changes to the system when logging a case Business Objects sent me a same-day email acknowledgement followed up by a tech who was assigned to my case. We could have a vibrant back-and-forth discussion either verbally or online. Through this medium and remoting to my desktop we could work out problems. Now with your new system I can neither view my old cases, create new ones or call customer support. (I get hung up on). Some of us can't even log in and your email service can take up to a week for you to get back to us. As we both know, in a situation like this it makes software problems miraculously go away! Both our lives are made easier and its a win-win situation all around.

Please keep up the good work and be sure to let me know when you have a new release. Feel free to use me as a customer reference.

Sincerely,

Rob
Dave Rathbun
Forum Advocate
Forum Advocate

speaker.gif*16

flag
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:14 pm 

joepeters wrote:
This has caught Cindi's attention:
The SAP/Business Objects Support Blunder

Scott Bajtos, EVP of Customer Assurance has apparently added a comment to Cindi's blog post at the above link. Interestingly enough, she gets an official response. icon_smile.gif

Latest Blog Posts
• 2019-09-19 Stephen Few Blog Post on Multivariate Visualization
• 2019-02-11 Update on Query Banding
• 2018-10-19 BI Evolution
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> General Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 9 of 19 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Jump to:  

Index | About | FAQ | RAG | Privacy | Search |  Register |  Login 

Get community updates via Twitter:

Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP