BOB: Business Objects Board
Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP

Register | Login 

Want to sponsor BOB? 
Want to sponsor BOB? (Opens a new window)  

General Notice: No events within the next 45 days.

BO tech support page not working / new SAP Support Site woes
3 members found this topic helpful
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Search this topic... | Search General Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> General Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
gpn01
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:54 am 
Post subject: Re: BO tech support page not working / new SAP Support Site

ckanaracus wrote:
Hello

I write for IDG News Service, which feeds sites like Computerworld, PC World and Infoworld, and am interested in getting out some news on the support issues raised here. If interested, please call me at 617-239-7827 or email Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com

Seven pages of comments on this topic so far - so should provide some good insights into the attitude/approach adopted to the BO/SAP support integration. Had previously considered SAP's methodology to be pretty rock solid. It would be interesting to know if the support migration pain being experienced by customers is an indication that SAP's organisation isn't as robust as previously thought or whether this is a one-off 'glitch'.

Just been looking through Technical Environment section in SAP Portal and it appears that the data that was in the BO CMS hasn't been migrated. So, could be a lot of rekeying of data by the customer to maintain their own records. I've just tried it and wasn't able to because we use SQL 2005 as our repository and that's not even listed!
sfaridi
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:54 am 

'glitch'?
a: a usually minor malfunction; also : a minor problem that causes a temporary setback

Forum Advocate
Forum Advocate

speaker.gif*16

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:06 am 

I wonder why they didn't just turn the old system back on, at least on a temporary basis?

Any large-scale conversion generally has a fall-back provision, right? At some point during the conversion process you have a "go / no-go" decision, and if you decide that it's a "no go" you return back to what you started with while you figure out how to fix what went wrong. In this case since it appears they're trying to convert from one system (BOBJ) to another (SAP) it seems like they could have simply turned the old system back on for now.

Latest Blog Posts
• 2019-09-19 Stephen Few Blog Post on Multivariate Visualization
• 2019-02-11 Update on Query Banding
• 2018-10-19 BI Evolution
DaveS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:08 am 

I've been wondering this the entire time. However, I suspect by now (and most likely 2 days in) it is/was too late to go back.
newgun
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:39 am 

newgun wrote:
Got hung up the first time I called today, after the CR told me she was going to do some research about our problem (still don't have access). Have been on the phone listening to the music for over 35 minutes since.

Finally got to talk to a very nice lady with Business Objects(I actually asked her not to hang up on me, and she asked my phone number just in case I get hung up) and she was able to give me our s-administrator information.
Rob123
Forum Member
Forum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:50 am 

Your not the only one with hangups... After struggling through the portals to find the BO piece within SAP I found out that all my recently added users for support access had been deleted. I called support to find out why they had been removed...

I gave them my ID number... they repeat it back. Its incorrect.
I give it again... they repeat it back. Its incorrect.
I give it again.... still not right.... I ask him if he is listening to me?

I get hung up on. Fine by me, I was getting tired of the conversation anyway. Apparently my Hindi isn't up to snuff when calling the Business Objects of Americas support line.

SAP can deal with our legal department instead as far as I'm concerned. My company is paying for support that they are not getting. Its out of my hands.
annewilkinson

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:01 am 

Quote:
SAP can deal with our legal department instead as far as I'm concerned. My company is paying for support that they are not getting. Its out of my hands.

My sentiments entirely! It is now beyond a joke, we have been left without support on a very high profile report, which we need help with!
gina
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:14 am 

A few people mention that the old ESD site is still available. Can somebody please post the direct link to this page.

Thanks,

Gina
newgun
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:19 am 

ESD:
https://businessobjects.subscribenet.com/control/bobj/login
ElCarrot
Forum Member
Forum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:00 pm 

Here's a couple links that should get you started on finding what you're looking for:

Patches / Hotfixes / Service Packs / Runtimes Downloads
https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/businessobjects-downloads

ESD
https://businessobjects.subscribenet.com/control/bobj/login

SDK documentation (XI R2)
http://devlibrary.businessobjects.com/BusinessObjectsXIR2SP2/en/devsuite.htm

BO White Papers (Click on Advanced Search, then Library, then limit it to only BO Products)
https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/articles-topic

Downloadable Samples
https://boc.sdn.sap.com/codesamples

.NET Enterprise SDK Samples
https://boc.sdn.sap.com/samples/84/1193

.NET Enterprise Web Service SDK Samples
https://boc.sdn.sap.com/samples/84/1197

Modules Utility
https://smpdl.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/012002523100006252802008E/modules.zip
Nothing
Forum Member
Forum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:31 pm 

dnewton wrote:
It's interesting, no one has spoken up to say that they were part of a beta/test migration to the new SAP site. To eliminate issues, get feedback on the wording and design, and in general try to make the transition as smooth as possible for BO customers.

Maybe there was no way to do a partial or trial migration of customers, but the big-bang approach sure is risky. I think SAP rolled the dice, and in this case, lost.

Hey all,

I'm a ex BO/SAP support employee, just wanted to comment on a couple things. When SAP acquired BO in January (and the sale went through and all), they put in place very aggressive (see: unreasonable) time lines to merge the two companies. In April BO only had VPN access to the SAP network. There had been zero SAP training at that point on any of their processes or systems. Yet by July they expected to be fully using the SAP support system. In April a large number of support employees were let go as they were not wanted by SAP (including me). At that time the plan was to have everyone's computers reimaged to a SAP standard, join the SAP network (not just through VPN), switch all internal applications to what SAP used, and complete all training on SAP systems by June/July. And during all of that, support was to continue at the same level with less people. Whenever the question was raised about these time lines being unreasonable, we were told that these were being mandated to us and we just had to work it out.

Soo, it is no surprise to me at all that their new system migration has failed horribly. I would bet money there was no trial migration done. Where in the 2 months would they have time for it? All of the IT staff were trying to migrate the critical internal apps, never mind any external ones. All the people in support were far too busy with trying to keep up with customer issues to have time to be testing a new system at the same time.

That said, as a customer I would demand far more from the sales and maintenance people that you pay the money too. Same for the BO and SAP senior mgmt who made the decisions in the first place to go through with this migration when they were completely unprepared. Have your legal teams contact SAP if your contract is not being met by SAP. The only thing SAP will listen to is money it appears.
The BO support department however -is- doing everything in their power to help the customers still. If you do make it through to a BO support person, be understanding of their situation. They probably hate the new system as much as you. While a lot of good people were laid off, there are still a lot of great BO support people around, so for the time being all hope isn't lost.

PS: There's more I could share, but it really wouldn't be professional. Also I don't plan to verify I was a BO employee in any way, but I'm sure I've had calls with at least a few of you during my years icon_wink.gif
joepeters
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:04 pm 

This has caught Cindi's attention:
The SAP/Business Objects Support Blunder
kurt
Principal Member
Principal Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:33 pm 

Rob123 wrote:
Your not the only one with hangups... After struggling through the portals to find the BO piece within SAP I found out that all my recently added users for support access had been deleted. I called support to find out why they had been removed...

I gave them my ID number... they repeat it back. Its incorrect.
I give it again... they repeat it back. Its incorrect.
I give it again.... still not right.... I ask him if he is listening to me?

I get hung up on. Fine by me, I was getting tired of the conversation anyway. Apparently my Hindi isn't up to snuff when calling the Business Objects of Americas support line.

Rob, the business objects company is solely responsible for outsourcing their support team. Please confine your ire on the company and do not mention any other useless stuffs like a particular language (as you have mentioned "Hindi") , which clearly points to a set of community. J
G.E.Davies
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:37 pm 

We still are unable to access our current support cases. Apparently they're still being loaded...

As we can no longer log new cases because we didn't buy extended 6.5.4 support. But as we are an Elite customer we can contact our support engineers by Email...

It would appear that the investors aren't concerned... yet!

Perhaps a few legal cases might shake them up a bit.

editted to correct spelling/punctuation

England
ckanaracus
Forum Member
Forum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:08 pm 

gpn01 wrote:
ckanaracus wrote:
Hello

I write for IDG News Service, which feeds sites like Computerworld, PC World and Infoworld, and am interested in getting out some news on the support issues raised here. If interested, please call me at 617-239-7827 or email Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com

Seven pages of comments on this topic so far - so should provide some good insights into the attitude/approach adopted to the BO/SAP support integration. Had previously considered SAP's methodology to be pretty rock solid. It would be interesting to know if the support migration pain being experienced by customers is an indication that SAP's organisation isn't as robust as previously thought or whether this is a one-off 'glitch'.

Just been looking through Technical Environment section in SAP Portal and it appears that the data that was in the BO CMS hasn't been migrated. So, could be a lot of rekeying of data by the customer to maintain their own records. I've just tried it and wasn't able to because we use SQL 2005 as our repository and that's not even listed!

Hello,

I should have been more clear on the nature of my request. There's a lot of information here, but I can't quote it directly. I need to talk or correspond with people personally. I understand the need for some people to maintain a level of privacy about their employer, and so on, and can make accommodations on that end.

Best,

Chris Kanaracus
Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> General Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 8 of 19 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Jump to:  

Index | About | FAQ | RAG | Privacy | Search |  Register |  Login 

Get community updates via Twitter:

Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP