BOB: Business Objects Board
Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP

Register | Login 

Launch Works 
Launch Works (Opens a new window)  

General Notice: No events within the next 45 days.

[BI 4.x] BI Launchpad - Customization

Search this topic... | Search XI Server Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> Server Administration, Installation, Upgrades -> XI Server Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
mnarne
Principal Member
Principal Member

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:58 am 
Post subject: BI Launchpad - Customization

Hi,
we are planning to customize our BI Launchpad and here are our requirements.

After login to Launchpad ,we would like to put
1) our company Logo - did this and works perfect
2) change the logged in username position instead of top center to top extreme right,
3) similarly alter the positions of Applications, preference, help menu options.,
4) change the color of top border ( border,where in Home and Documents tabs placed)
5) disable/remove Default Help menu
6) add one more tab next to preferneces and that should route to our customized company info (like "About" under Help Menu)
7) Under Applications, we see many options (Analysis edition for OLAP, BEx Web Applications, BI Workspace,Crystal Reports for Enterprise, Module and WebIntelligence Application) - we dont want to see this many applications, we want to show only Crystal and WebIntelligence Applications

Environment : BO 4.0 SP5

if any one come across and did the customizations, please share

Thanks

Principal Member
Principal Member

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:15 am 
Post subject: Re: BI Launchpad - Customization

any suggestions??
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

flag
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:42 am 

Hi

Why all this requirements ? When buying new car, are you asking to put the wheel on the center of the dashboard ? icon_wink.gif

As it is easy to customize interface to add company logo, the other requirement are more difficult to put in place. It is not impossible as you can make everything using SDK but ask yourself the amouth of work it will give you. In the other hand, each time you will perform an upgrade, you will run the risk to have to revalidate all your customized interface so please considere as the requirements you mention are so important or are just nice to have from users having no ideas how difficult it will be to put in place an maintain...

(Co)author of 2 books about SAP BusinessObjects XI3.x and BI4.x Administration
Hayden_Gill
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:26 pm 

mnarne wrote:

7) Under Applications, we see many options (Analysis edition for OLAP, BEx Web Applications, BI Workspace,Crystal Reports for Enterprise, Module and WebIntelligence Application) - we dont want to see this many applications, we want to show only Crystal and WebIntelligence Applications

This one is pretty easy, don't give your users the rights to BEx Web App etc and they won't show up in the list.

As for the others, if you really want to do it you'll probably have to hack the JSP pages.

Dallas has linked to some articles at the bottom of his blog post that should help... http://www.dallasmarks.org/blog/2011/09/customizing-sap-businessobjects-bi-4-0/

Brisbane, Australia
http://www.uq.edu.au/mis
shekar25
Principal Member
Principal Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:05 pm 

Changes 1) and 7) are easy. Changes 2) to 7) can be done using SDK and some gif folder chnages.

It is not advisable to make many custom changes using SDK to interface.

Whenever you apply a new service pack or fix pack, you will have to reapply all these changes.

Also there chances that the SDK calls can get deprecated with new patches.

Imagine reapplying all the changes and testing dev, qa and prod everytime you apply a patch (service pack or fixpack).

mnarne
Principal Member
Principal Member

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:37 am 

Thanks Guys

1) Changed image file and it works perfect

location : C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\Tomcat6\webapps\BOE\WEB-INF\eclipse\plugins\webpath.InfoView\web\images

after chaing image file, we need to restart tomcat to see the changes..
7) as Hayden_Gill said, its all with permissions

4) this is again same as point 1 , changed the banner image to the required one and its looking good now icon_smile.gif

6) Changed the content suited to our company info instead of SAP,under ABOUT menu
here is the location to change JSP file : C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\Tomcat6\webapps\BOE\WEB-INF\eclipse\plugins\webpath.PlatformServices\web\jsp\About

i am still looking at the other points as i am sure that changing some JSP files will do these, but not sure which are?

Please let me know if anyone know about the exact files.

will share if i have any progress
thanks

Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:42 pm 

bernard timbal wrote:
Why all this requirements ? When buying new car, are you asking to put the wheel on the center of the dashboard ? icon_wink.gif

I am seeing these kind of "Basic Launchpad" requirements a LOT especially from users that are migrating from Older systems, that are just generating Operational/Transactional Reports on the "shop floor".

They just want a QUICK way to generate work-orders / assignments, etc (*Usually CR-2011 content) - and want as basic / stripped-down a User Interface as possible.

In some cases, we are NOT giving the users any access to LaunchPad - and instead hosting a stand-alone "Simple" interface based on the .NET and JAVA SDK samples.

I understand that SAP BOBJ is trying to enable the "Enterprise Power Users" in all of their design elements, but I think they underestimate how many of those users just want simple report access to "pre-canned" parameter-based content.

SeagateInfo 7 -> Crystal Enterprise -> BOE-XI (R2) / (R3.1) / 4.1 | Crystal ( 7 -> 2013) design |
WebI design | Best practices for Java / .Net / Web Services
nb33
Forum Member
Forum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:00 pm 

mnarne:

I am doing many of the same things you are doing for your project. Have you had any more advances since your last post? I am having issues with updating the About and Help buttons that you described...can you provide any more details there?

Also, has anyone been able to make the Launchpad banner space larger (from top to bottom)? Our company logo is being cut off.

Thanks in advance everyone...this is my first assignment working customization...usually I am a lowly report/dashboard writer...
mnarne
Principal Member
Principal Member

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:17 am 

Hi nb33,

unfortunately, i didnt go further in this aspect.
i came to know that it requires jsp page modifications, which i am zero on that. Now, we are not in hurry in getting it done.so may be going forward, i might need to work again in creaitng new Help tab or more customization. i will let you know if i get something...

Please do let me know how you approach

Thanks

Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:54 pm 

Found this blog post in my travels.

http://bisdk.com/archives/375

The blog isn't very active, but the above post gives a good background as to how BI4 has been built.

I haven't tried their BISDK product, but it might let you do some of the things you want.

If anyone does try it out, please post back on BOB and let us know your thoughts on it.

Brisbane, Australia
http://www.uq.edu.au/mis
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> Server Administration, Installation, Upgrades -> XI Server Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Jump to:  

Index | About | FAQ | RAG | Privacy | Search |  Register |  Login 

Get community updates via Twitter:

Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP