BOB: Business Objects Board
Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP

Register | Login 

Want to sponsor BOB? 
Want to sponsor BOB? (Opens a new window)  

General Notice: No events within the next 45 days.

Pipe error - how to map back to specific transform?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Search this topic... | Search DI: Designer and Job Design... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> Data Integrator -> DI: Designer and Job Design  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
ErikR
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

flag
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:18 pm 
Post subject: Pipe error - how to map back to specific transform?

A "Pipe ended" error happened while executing one of our data migration jobs. It's a bit random as I ran the same job, with the same volume of data (a few million records) several times before without any problems. Some parts of the job are quite memory intensive, there are plenty of lookups and custom functions to crunch the data.

(Our Job Server resides on a virtual server which shares resources with other virtual servers so it could be related to that.)

In the error log, the following string of errors were listed:

Code:

Pipe Listener for DF_TR_DO33_WO_Transform_1_3 Named pipe error occurred: <The pipe has been ended.>

SubDataflow DF_TR_DO33_WO_Transform_1_1|Pipe Listener for IPCTarget2_Query-Function5_common Named pipe error occurred: <The pipe has been ended.>

SubDataflow DF_TR_DO33_WO_Transform_1_2|Pipe Writer for IPCSource1_Query-Function4_common Named pipe error occurred: <The handle is invalid.>

Data flow <DF_TR_DO33_WO_Transform_1_3> with pid <4440> failed to stop. Diagnostic information <1-4-021-1001-Error from Job>.>

When looking in my trace log, they relate to these items:
Code:

DF_TR_DO33_WO_Transform_1_3/IPCTarget2_Query-Function5_common
DF_TR_DO33_WO_Transform_1_3/IPCSource1_Query-Function4_common

Is there any way to relate these back to specific function calls or transforms within the DataFlow?
Werner Daehn
Forum Devotee
Forum Devotee

speaker.gif*6

flag
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:05 am 
Post subject: Re: Pipe error - how to map back to specific transform?

Pipe ended means that your dataflow was split into subdataflows that are connected via a inter-process-communication writer and reader (IPCSource, IPCTarget) to stream data from one sub-dataflow to the other. One of the two ended and hence the pipe between them is not valid anymore.

Very likely because too much memory was tried to be allocated?

“The opinions expressed in this post are my own views and not those of SAP.”

PLEASE SUPPORT THIS: Run one ATL job and tell us the benchmark result. Details to be found here.
ErikR
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

flag
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:26 am 

wdaehn wrote:
Pipe ended means that your dataflow was split into subdataflows that are connected via a inter-process-communication writer and reader (IPCSource, IPCTarget) to stream data from one sub-dataflow to the other. One of the two ended and hence the pipe between them is not valid anymore.

Very likely because too much memory was tried to be allocated?

Yes, that's what I thought too.. but how can I easily find out which function is consuming that much memory? It's arather large dataflow.

Hence my question if I can somehow trace "Function4" or "Function5" back to specific lookup_ext or custom function calls in the dataflow icon_smile.gif
Werner Daehn
Forum Devotee
Forum Devotee

speaker.gif*6

flag
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:16 am 

That's my point. The error is raised in the IPC Reader/Loader. But the root cause is somewhere else. There is no easy way to find out, unfortunately.

What would happen if you change the dataflow to use pageable cache? What is the biggest dataset you are caching with lookups? Do all cachings make sense or would for some be a row-by-row better anyhow? (And there is an index to support the row-by-row select)

PLEASE SUPPORT THIS: Run one ATL job and tell us the benchmark result. Details to be found here.
dnewton
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:52 am 

I would throw in some Data Transfer steps to see at which point the problem is occurring.
Werner Daehn
Forum Devotee
Forum Devotee

speaker.gif*6

flag
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:57 am 

Mister Pragmatic icon_wink.gif

seeya.gif

ErikR
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

flag
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:12 pm 

wdaehn wrote:
What would happen if you change the dataflow to use pageable cache? What is the biggest dataset you are caching with lookups? Do all cachings make sense or would for some be a row-by-row better anyhow? (And there is an index to support the row-by-row select)

It is set to pagable cache, the biggest data set is about 3 million records but they are quite lean so it should fit in cache. I'm not using a TC transform - it's a straight forward data pump with transformations.

But I'll chuck in a data transform and see where it goes wrong but it hasn't failed anymore since. According to the IT team, the host server was also being heavily utilized at the time of failure and since all resources are set to be shared, it may have had an effect as well?
ErikR
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

flag
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:39 pm 

The Data Transfers did not help. The problem is that I can run the job throughout the day just fine, but when I schedule it to run at night, it keeps coming up with this named pipe error.

I'm open to suggestions icon_rolleyes.gif
Werner Daehn
Forum Devotee
Forum Devotee

speaker.gif*6

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:04 am 

Optimize the dataflow. Can you post the ATL for the DF or a screenshot plus descriptions of what it is doing?

ErikR
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

flag
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:32 pm 

The problem is the ESX Server, not the data flow. The records volume is consistent, the transformations are consistent - but something at night is putting a large load on the entire ESX Server. It looks like it just runs out of resources.

(Did I already mention that I do not like nor believe in virtual servers for large ETL loads?)
eganjp
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:20 pm 

Unfortunately I have run into the same problem. Run the job at a scheduled off-hours time and it works some times and fails other times. Run the job during the day and it never fails. This was in a dataflow processing 60 million rows.

There is a timeout setting in the configuration (it escapes me at the time though) that may help. It was recommended to me here on the forum. But it didn't work for me.

What did work was to write the intermediate data (in the branch of the dataflow that was failing) to a staging table and then work on that data again in a subsequent dataflow. After I did that I had no more problems. It's ugly and I'm not happy with it, but I don't have to babysit it anymore.

Speaker at Sapphire Now 2013
Speaker at Business Objects User Conference 2013
-My ETL is faster than your database! - Advanced ETL performance tuning for Data Services
-Kill ETL bugs before they kill you!
My ETL blog

Latest Blog Posts
• 2014-04-17 Can Your ETL Make Your Reporting Faster?
• 2014-04-04 ProKarma Acquires Mantis Technology Group
• 2014-04-02 How to Create Charts in Webi (Part 2 of 2)
ErikR
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

flag
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:07 pm 

I've waived the white flag and have broken down the data flow into 3 seperate data flows - each populating a staging table. So far, the job has been running stable but it hasn't been a week yet so it may be too early to tell.

However, if this approach works then I really wonder why two Data Transforms wouldn't solve the problem? I have broken up the data flow at the same spot as where I had inserted two Data Transforms previously. Both were set to use a table. In essence, this should be exactly the same as breaking up the data flow into 3 data flows?
eganjp
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:19 pm 

My understanding is by creating a dead-end on one branch - by writing to a table - it closes out that branch of the flow and no communication between the branches is necessary. If you use a Data Transform then the branches must maintain communications.
Speaker at Sapphire Now 2013
Speaker at Business Objects User Conference 2013
-My ETL is faster than your database! - Advanced ETL performance tuning for Data Services
-Kill ETL bugs before they kill you!
My ETL blog

Latest Blog Posts
• 2014-04-17 Can Your ETL Make Your Reporting Faster?
• 2014-04-04 ProKarma Acquires Mantis Technology Group
• 2014-04-02 How to Create Charts in Webi (Part 2 of 2)
ErikR
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

flag
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:42 pm 

True but this problem started before I inserted any Data Transforms - half way through the data flow, it just loses the plot somehow. So I wonder what on the job server is causing it to lose communication with all the named pipes? Is there something broken in the threading process?
dnewton
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:03 pm 

Do you have "run as a separate process" checked off on any of the steps in your dataflow? If so, try turning that off.

We get broken pipe errors (Win 2003, now Win 2008) under 12.2, quite often. Never in the same dataflow or at the same time of day.
cuss.gif
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> Data Integrator -> DI: Designer and Job Design  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 2 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to:  

Index | About | FAQ | RAG | Privacy | Search |  Register |  Login 

Get community updates via Twitter:

Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP