BOB: Business Objects Board
Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP

Register | Login 

Launch Works 
Launch Works (Opens a new window)  

General Notice: Upcoming Events: BONYMAUG: May 14, BI2014 Nice, France: May 21.

Set and Metric Refresh via Application Foundation

Search this topic... | Search Performance Management... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> Other Products -> Performance Management  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
SNK in WI

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:01 am 
Post subject: Set and Metric Refresh via Application Foundation

Has anyone had experience with scheduling set refreshes in Application Foundation?

I have 6-7 sets that need to be refreshed in a particular order. I thought the Priority drop-down would allow me to schedule the sets so they would run one after the other but apparently I am not using this correctly or it does not work properly. I certainly could schedule these to run 15 - 30 minutes apart but setting these up so they are dependent upon one another would be a preferred method. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 11:11 am 
Post subject:

I did some more research and am thinking that a processing model could solve my problem. Since the scheduling portion of Application Foundation feeds in to Set Analyzer, I am wondering if anyone has experience with this in set analyzer or app foundation. I can create a model but getting it to reprocess seems to be a hurdle.
Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:43 pm 
Post subject:

Sue,
Try the following post..
http://www.forumtopics.com/busobj/viewtopic.php?t=17682

I did a write up on AF scheduling. It works really well for us. It's a whole lot more functional than BCA in my opinion.

If you have any questions about that write up let me know.

Karl
SNK in WI

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 10:34 am 
Post subject:

Thanks for the reply. I will give this a try and let you know.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 11:30 am 
Post subject:

I found I had some configuration problems and now I am able to refresh a model via application foundation. However, it looks like the model refresh runs twice and both refreshes start at the same time.
When I schedule this, the End After option available via Set Analyzer is not a part of the scheduling process in App Foundation and in Set Analyzer, the scheduling portion itself is not an option for models (just a Process button for models). crazy.gif
Any ideas on how/where to control the number of times a model refreshes when it is scheduled via App Foundation? FYI - I can schedule set refreshes from App Foundation and they only run once.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:48 pm 
Post subject:

Sue,
Your original e-mail said "I have 6-7 sets that need to be refreshed in a particular order". Sounds like you tried to use a model to make the order occur properly. Is this correct?

If so, you should be able to process those 6 sets in a sequence of steps within AF. Thus not needing a model. I did some testing awhile back in 3.0.1 and found that each step is fully completed before the next is started.

Another thing to consider is if your sets are dependent. It could be that the 2nd refresh is actually due to a dependency. Not certain that AF interpets things that way, but figure it would.

Karl
SNK in WI

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 2:03 pm 
Post subject:

You are correct - a model is what I finally came upon to do this. I have about 20 sets that are the result of 6-7 intermeditate sets so scheduling these individually as sets as opposed to a model is not an option. It would take way too long to get all the data refreshed.

I thought I was getting somewhere (and felt smart for a split second. lol.gif ) until I ran into a snag. In AF, I can create a model to be of type Rebuild. I can run that model. But, as soon as I log out of AF and long back in, the model defaults to type Taxonomic thus not allowing me to run a refresh. I tested this on 2 machines here and saw the same result so either there is a bug or we have done something wrong in setting up the boxes.

Have you seen this behavior? Any ideas on where to look to get around this?

Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> Other Products -> Performance Management  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Jump to:  

Index | About | FAQ | RAG | Privacy | Search |  Register |  Login 

Get community updates via Twitter:

Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP