BOB: Business Objects Board
Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP

Register | Login 

Realtime CMS Reporting from Infolytik (Opens a new window)  

General Notice: No events within the next 45 days.

Document Confidentiality statements? What do you use?

Search this topic... | Search General Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> General Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
JPetlev
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:30 am 
Post subject: Document Confidentiality statements? What do you use?

I'm helping design a companies BI practices for the first time and I found out that while they have extremely sensitive information (Payroll, Social Security #'s etc..), none of their printed documents has any sort of confidentiality statement. I've seen copies lying around on the printer, sitting in trashcans (while the shreader stands idle next to it), and I'm sure even worse places.

One way my previous company tried to raise awareness of document sensitivity was by using a series of confidentiality statements on all printed material. Emails were set up to force a footer for printing and all report documents created by IT had a standard note in the footer.

This company has no such official policy nor statement.

In trying to provide a suggested statement(s) I wondered what syntax other people use, if any, on their documents which are designed for printing.

The ones I have so far are just a few basic ones based on my previous experience:
1) Privileged Information - Not for Distribution (For use on Internal memos and company private information.. no personal or identifying info on document)

2) Private Information - For Internal Use Only (May contain personal or identifying info however may only be distributed within the company or department)

3) Confidential Information - For Internal Use Only - Do Not Redistribute.
(For all documents seen by non-company employees, regardless of data contained).

Then of course the question has to be asked... "Is a Disclaimer needed?" Does it even provide any measure of secuirty , even if it's simply a broader awareness to remind people not to leave copies lying around on the printer?

What are some of your experiences with report disclaimers?
Peter Hughes
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:06 am 
Post subject: Re: Document Confidentiality statements? What do you use?

Not so much a question of syntax as one of "naming and shaming" really. This is my personal opinion, but if it was MY sensitive data/details being left lying around the place then I don't think it matters as to exactly what the wording (syntax) is. I would rather see username's included in print-outs, and then staff/managers can monitor known "black spots" (where confidential information has been known to be left lying around) and they can take the offending material to it's producer (the person who printed it) and they can gently remind them not to leave documents marked "Confidential" lying around for any longer than is absolutely necessary. I don't recall seeing this done anywhere, so here's my disclaimer ... "all of the above is personal opinion" icon_wink.gif
JPetlev
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:01 am 

That's a good point Peter, and actually I do have other items in the footer, specifically one that says something like "Printed on xx/xx/xxxx 12:12pm by JSmith".

So the printing user (or at least whomever was logged into Business Objects by username) will be on the document.

In Today's business world people should treat ANY document as confidential in my opinion.. but I know every year in my previous company when we had our legal compliance meeting, it was obvious that people often 'forget' when they are dealing with the same documents day in and day out.

Maybe there should be a "Joke of the Day" under the disclaimer to make people remember about it icon_razz.gif
Marek Chladny
Forum Advocate
Forum Advocate

flag
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:31 am 

Hi,

What's been implemented in our company recently is a solution that when anybody sends anything to a printer the document is not printed until the person comes to the printer (any printer in the company) and swipes his/her employee badge. If nobody comes to a printer, then the document is not printed and the printer releases/deletes the document from the queue after some time. Of course, you can print only a document that belongs to you. You can't use your badge to print a document that was sent to a printer by someone else.

This way the amount of printed documents that's just were printed and then left on a printer and nobody retrieved them has reduced to minimum.

Such solution is also one of the many measures taken to prevent spreading of confidential documents.

www.perpendulum.com

Latest Blog Posts
• 2013-07-16 Number of reports in a WebI document
• 2013-04-01 Optional prompts in a universe
• 2012-06-08 Calendar table script for Oracle
JohnBClark
Forum Associate
Forum Associate

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:46 am 

I'm sorry, that information is confidential.

Sorry, couldn't help it. icon_twisted.gif

Reporting databases: SQL Server, Oracle, DB2
Clustered for fail over redundancy
Setting up Information Steward 4.2sp3, Upgrading to BI4.1sp5
History: BO5, BO6, XIR2, XI3.1
Peter Hughes
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:49 pm 

@JPetlev: I don't think "joke of the day" has a place in the corporate world (unless you work for a greetings card company perhaps?!) ... I once got "reprimanded" (gently reminded) about my leadership qualities when I inserted a "jokey" term in a "shift log" once. The shift log was distributed to many of the company directors, and I was reminded that they didn't really want to see a trainee labelled as "print wallah" in the list of staff icon_wink.gif icon_razz.gif

@JohnBCLark, I was so tempted icon_smile.gif

@Marek, that's a really neat idea, I like that. But how does that prevent longer print-outs from being left? because the swipe system is only used to start the printing and staff could presumably start the printing process then go for a coffee and forget they printed something out?! unless of course the swipe system then locks them to the printer until their print job is complete icon_evil.gif icon_lol.gif

Marek Chladny
Forum Advocate
Forum Advocate

flag
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:22 pm 

Peter Hughes wrote:
But how does that prevent longer print-outs from being left? because the swipe system is only used to start the printing and staff could presumably start the printing process then go for a coffee and forget they printed something out?! unless of course the swipe system then locks them to the printer until their print job is complete icon_evil.gif icon_lol.gif
Well, nothing is perfect icon_smile.gif It would be perfect if a printer had also some kind of a storage where printouts would be stored until you retrieve them after the 2nd swipe. So the 1st swipe would activate printing and the 2nd swipe would release documents icon_smile.gif Then everyone could go for a coffee while printing confidential documents... icon_lol.gif
www.perpendulum.com

Latest Blog Posts
• 2013-07-16 Number of reports in a WebI document
• 2013-04-01 Optional prompts in a universe
• 2012-06-08 Calendar table script for Oracle
Peter Hughes
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:11 pm 

Marek Chladny wrote:
Well, nothing is perfect icon_smile.gif It would be perfect if a printer had also some kind of a storage where printouts would be stored until you retrieve them after the 2nd swipe. So the 1st swipe would activate printing and the 2nd swipe would release documents icon_smile.gif Then everyone could go for a coffee while printing confidential documents... icon_lol.gif

Hmmm, sounds very much like a system we had 15 years ago whereby staff were trained to send any confidential prints to the computer operations room which was secured by keypad entry, and only accessible to ops staff, who had also signed a "confidentiality agreement", and who would remove prints from printers and place them into the backs of pigeon-holes. User would take the department key and go and retrieve their print from the locked pigeon-hole icon_smile.gif How times change ... or not, as the case may be?! icon_lol.gif

JPetlev
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:42 am 

@Marek - I wish this company had such a thing, I lose my prints in stacks of paper each time as there's always something after mine once I hit print. My previous company had a similar ability but it was a user decision, meaning I could tell it to wait until I got to the printer and entered a code to release the document.

@Peter - Ha! The joke of the day was just a joke icon_smile.gif I'd never actually put it on an actual document. Buried Within long boring training material on page 234 in small footer text or even in VB/SQL programming comments perhaps.. but never on a report. In fact, I recall one incident where we had a rather skilled VB Programmer create an application and later left the company. He had what he thought was a fool-proof error catching system and thus at the end of a routine, if anything fell through, it had a 'joke' error message. The idea was that no one could ever see it since he accounted for every possible error that would happen.... well 2 years later after he left..one bug fell through his error checking routines and users starting getting a rather strange error message on their screen. Senior management was NOT happy.

I guess what I'm starting to realize is that the problem isn't so much about what syntax is on a document, but rather a larger issue of overall document security. No matter how good the statement is, it won't change the culture on it's own.

Last edited by JPetlev on Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total
JohnBClark
Forum Associate
Forum Associate

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:50 am 

JPetlev wrote:
No matter how good the statement is, it won't change the culture on it's own.
This is exactly my feelings on this subject. It really doesn't matter what the statement is. People will generally do what they want with it anyway. The only thing the statement does is give you some recourse for action after the report has been put some where it shouldn't. In my opinion, it's mainly a reactive approach.
Reporting databases: SQL Server, Oracle, DB2
Clustered for fail over redundancy
Setting up Information Steward 4.2sp3, Upgrading to BI4.1sp5
History: BO5, BO6, XIR2, XI3.1
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> General Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Jump to:  

Index | About | FAQ | RAG | Privacy | Search |  Register |  Login 

Get community updates via Twitter:

Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP