BOB: Business Objects Board
Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP

Register | Login 

Realtime CMS Reporting from Infolytik (Opens a new window)  

General Notice: No events within the next 45 days.

BO XI 3.1 CMC and InfoView are Slow!
5 members found this topic helpful
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Search this topic... | Search General Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> General Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
cashworth
Forum Associate
Forum Associate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:24 am 
Post subject: Re: BO XI 3.1 CMC and InfoView are Slow!

XI 3.1 is handling more requests than XI R2 due to the AJAX interface, simple as that. It's a worthwhile addition to bring the interface in-line with every other graphical UI, with right-click context sensitive menus.
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:02 pm 

I know I'm probably late to this party, but I found the biggest bottleneck was my repository - I loaded the MySQL product, using BO Defaults.

What I found was it was woefully short on memory, and that by bumping up the inno_db_buffer pool size, I got much snappier performance in all BOXI operations.

Just a thought - the default is something silly like 8 meg, and I bumped mine up to 256, based on the size of the repository database.

Good luck,
Brent
TL1GT228

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:08 pm 

Has anyone solved issue with slow CMC and InfoView in BO XI3.1

We are getting the issue regardless of the number of users logged into the system, or what is running.

We have tried re-deploying web apps multiple times, restarting servers, etc. etc., but issue is always there.

We are running web server, app server, and file repositories all on the same machine. However database server is separate.

Thinking at this point maybe we need to separate the web and app servers onto separate dedicated server boxes...

Thoughts?

Last edited by TL1GT228 on Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total
bdouglas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

flag
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:42 am 

I found that the sticking point was my database - I'd look at that, see if you see high CPU, Memory, or Disk useage (most likely).

In our case, we were fine in testing, but it went to its knees after loading all our users - the database was running the drive at almost 100%.

For the default MYSQL database, I found that I got much better performance by upping the innodb_buffer_pool_size helped -i'm not at 512M.

I also set the key_buffer_size up, but I do not think that affected the CMC operations.

Anyway, I would make sure your CMC database is running well first - it's a central point of failure here.

Brent
johncaffrey
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

flag
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:34 am 

Have you tried putting the BO Install directory in the exceptions of your on access virus scanner. That always sped it up for me on multiple client sites.
------------------------------------------------------
Lee
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:24 am 

Hi,

May I ask where you can set the inno_db_buffer pool size?
I have been looking around and so far, no luck.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict

flag
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:45 am 

that's all in your my.ini file, under the mySQL home directory....

I'd google some MySQL tuning tips - there is a large user community, and I found a lot of good info out there....

Good luck!

B

* it does make a HUGE difference when you get it right, really....
ccermak
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:51 pm 

Mike D (or anybody) can you reply back with some more detail on what you refer to as java heap issues in 3.0? We're at 3.0 now, and having all kinds of mysterious issues. I have fronting with IIS/Jakarta going on because of multiple AD domains so Vintela wouldn't work. We plan to go to 3.1, but we'd like to do a fresh install so it's going to be a while before we get there.

Some examples of what we see
-takes forever for users to get their list of folders after clicking Document List button
-random "Error: INF" messages when trying to run Deski reports from InfoView. If users try again it'll run on the 2nd or 3rd try.
-Random prompt boxes upon logging in, requesting Win NT auth. We have Integrated turned on in IIS, only for logon, and it works fine most of the time, but out of the blue users can't login and they get prompted for credentials, after they enter 3 times it pulls up page cannot be displayed type errors. Rebooting servers seems to clear it up for a while.
-Most reports have prompts, and during peak usage it takes longer and longer for the prompt box to be displayed when users try to view Deski reports.
-During the performance probs, CPU, RAM, I/O, FRS, Repository, everything always looks fine.

Multiple tickets with BO, sent logs many times.......to no avail.
We even reboot the servers NIGHTLY now and this behavior still happens.
MikeD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

flag
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:11 am 

I would seriously recommend fast tracking to 3.1 as you will not resolve all the issues on 3.0.
The issue was not only related to java heap but spawning processes that just end up increasing and consuming memory without shutting down.
I do still get the odd process hanging up my XI 3.1 system, but thats' only on the development server where all the teams are developing - and now that I know what to watch for, I just kill 'em lol

I did manage to stabilise 3.0 to a point, but it still required constant management and constant process killing that just ended up causing the org to start losing confidence in 3.x.

I'm surprised that your vendor did not insist that you rather upgrade.
Sure - it's a re-install, but it's relatively painless depending on the size of your installaion and the amount of configuration you've done.

We're on XI 3.1 FP1.3 and it's really going well .......

Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:23 pm 

Are you running on Windows or Unix. When you say hung process can you elaborate further on exactly what you're seeing and where...and how you kill them??

and oh yes.....the lost confidence factor.....we're already beyond the nasty grams mad.gif
TL1GT228

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:32 pm 

Ccermak -

We are having similar issues to yourself, but have already upgraded to 3.1. I wonder if we have a similar technical architecture...

What type of architecture are you on? (in terms of, are your web server, application server, file repositories, database, etc. on the same machine?, what versions of apps)

How are you validating that your CPU/RAM, etc. everything looks fine? Are you just checking Task Manager or are you using PerfMon, or another tool? Have you checked any of your disk parameters to see if you are running into I/O issues?
ccermak
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:21 pm 

Hi,
We have 4 servers in production. Two IIS and two BO app/tomcat. We have an F5/BigIP load balancer doing round robin between the IIS servers, and then the Jakarta redirector on each IIS box pointing to a corresponding BO app server. The BO app servers are "clustered" and both run the full stack of services for failover/high-availability.

Everything is Win 2003 SP2 - Enterprise edition, but we also have a /pae (physical address extension) switch turned on to recognize additional RAM since it's 32-bit OS and we have 16gb RAM. The IIS boxes are actually small virtuals running on VMWare, and the Tomcat servers are physicals with 4 dual-core CPU showing as 8 in Task Mgr. Hardware SHOULD be adequate given current system usage.

We have 2000+ users in CMC, but only 50 - 170 sessions showing in CMS at any given time. It's a global user base so when US is on EU is asleep and vice versa. Most of our reports were migrated from previous versions, many reports are sourced from Deski on 6.5...we're forcing new development as Webi. Not using Webi rich in 3.0 since we heard it was buggy.

Biggest problems are as follows:
1. Overall performance of InfoView, especially after clicking Document List button it can take minute or longer to get list of folders. Couple minutes or more from EU (hardware is in St. Paul, MN).
2. Performance of reports dwindles and takes forever to display prompt box to user when trying to run.
3. Error: INF when running reports. It's random and trying to run again and again it usually eventually goes.
4. I'm sure there's more! Just lots of goofy non reproducable funky stuff.
ccermak
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:25 pm 

I forgot to mention that the FRS is on shared storage (NetApps) and the CMS db is Oracle 10g, and the reporting db's are SQL Serv 2005.

We also have SAP/BI-BW-BI-BW-BI-BW.....what do they call that system again these days????? But we're not doing production reporting against it yet....development is currently underway.
skeeter

flag
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:31 pm 

We are experiening the same performance issues as well with BOE 3.1

Our performance issues are user related: navigating and interacting with reports etc. Scheduled reports seem to run fine but the user interaction is really slow so I am wondering if there is some Tomcat configurations to blame.

Has anyone obtained better performance by tweaking Tomcat?
ccermak
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:31 pm 

The Oracle DBA says the CMS is snappy fast, good cache hit rates, etc. No issues there.

SQL server when having these problems with the BO app still shows as ok and queries run via outside tools like Enterprise Mgr are ok.

Mostly I look at Task Mgr to view CPU or RAM usage....I'm familiar with perfmon but don't have it going right now.

I also watch JVM usage in Tomcat and don't see that as pegged....tomcat is set to initial 512 and max 1024.

NetApps storage admin says FRS looks fine and dandy.
Network guys say logs show no packet loss issues there either, haven't turned the hard core sniffers on but maybe we should. Getting resources for some of those things can take time and turmoil when it's not done by my team.
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> General Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 2 of 7 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Jump to:  

Index | About | FAQ | RAG | Privacy | Search |  Register |  Login 

Get community updates via Twitter:

Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP