BOB: Business Objects Board
Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP

Register | Login 

Want to sponsor BOB? 
Want to sponsor BOB? (Opens a new window)  

General Notice: No events within the next 45 days.

FAQ: Designer Database Specific
6 members found this topic helpful

Search this topic... | Search Semantic Layer / Universe Designer... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> Semantic Layer / Universe Designer  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Eileen King
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

ASUG Icon
speaker.gif*3

flag
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 1:30 pm 
Post subject: FAQ: Designer Database Specific

This is where our FAQ for Designer Database Specific material will be developed. This topic is posted as a "sticky" so that it will remain at the top of the first page. Only moderators will be able to add to the FAQ.

Last edited by Eileen King on Tue Aug 13, 2002 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total
Eileen King
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

ASUG Icon
speaker.gif*3

flag
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 8:46 am 
Post subject: How can I use an Oracle Stored Procedure as a data provider?

icon_question.gif How can I use an Oracle Stored Procedure as a data provider?

icon_exclaim.gif To use an Oracle Stored Procedure as a data provider you are required to have a REF CURSOR and a SELECT statement. It must be stand alone and not part of a Package.

It cannot do any kind of writing to a table (as Business Objects is a query tool...) so populating temporary tables does not work.

Using the General Supervisor, permission must be granted for access to the Stored Procedures in order to be able to run them.

There is a default Command Restriction in Supervisor that prevents the use of anything but SELECT. It is "Restrict SQL to 'SELECT' Only" under the Query Technique folder for the BusinessObjects module. It would be on Inherit for a user or group and prevents the editing of SQL to be anything other than SELECT. You must set this option to be Disabled, for the Stored Procedure to run as a data provider.

The user who creates the Stored Procedure must be the same user that is used when creating the BOMain.key, universe connections, and personal connection used with Free Hand SQL. There is a known issue when accessing a stored procedure in both Free Hand SQL and Business Objects Stored Procedures with a database user that has privileges to access and run the stored procedure but did not create it.
Dave Rathbun
Forum Advocate
Forum Advocate

speaker.gif*16

flag
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 4:35 pm 
Post subject: How can I embed my TNSNames info directly in a connection?

icon_question.gif How can I embed my TNSNames information directly into my Oracle connection?

icon_idea.gif See this topic for details.
Chris Pohl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

ASUG Icon
speaker.gif

flag
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:47 am 
Post subject: Re: How can I embed my TNSNames info directly in a connectio

icon_question.gif How do I setup my DB2 Connection for Uncommitted Reads (Dirty Reads)?

icon_idea.gif In your data access folder, open the relevant parameters file (e.g., db2udben.prm) for your version of DB2. Add the following line to the [GENERAL] section:
Code:
END_SQL=FOR SELECT ONLY WITH UR

icon_idea.gif Also, depending on what version of DB2/Connect you are running, you could try this suggestion: Edit the DB2CLI.INI file in the SQLLIB directory and place TXNISOLATION=1 at the top of this file. This will force all DB2 Datasource to Uncommited read. No customisation is required to BO files.

icon_idea.gif e6 users: Watch this thread for latest updates

Mark P
Forum Devotee
Forum Devotee

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:44 am 
Post subject: Re: FAQ: Designer Database Specific

icon_question.gif How do I get the current date as an object in my universe?

icon_idea.gif Oracle - define your object as
Code:
trunc(sysdate)

icon_idea.gif SQL Server - define your object as
Code:
cast(convert(char(10),getdate(),23) as datetime)
This will remove the time section from your getdate() function - just use getdate() if you want current date and time.

icon_idea.gif DB2 - define your object as one of the following
Code:
CURRENT DATE
CURRENT TIME
CURRENT TIMESTAMP
DATE(CURRENT TIMESTAMP)
See this page for more detailed information

icon_exclaim.gif These objects will not parse in the universe because they do not have associated tables. Nor will they run if you build a query against just that object. As soon as other objects are included that do have a table associated with them, i.e. a standard column, then the query will work.

Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> Semantic Layer / Universe Designer  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Jump to:  

Index | About | FAQ | RAG | Privacy | Search |  Register |  Login 

Get community updates via Twitter:

Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP