BOB: Business Objects Board
Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP

Register | Login 

Sunset Ride 
Sunset Ride 

General Notice: BOB is going to retire...please see details here. All BOB forums have been converted to "read only" as of September 1st.
General Notice: No events within the next 45 days.

BOB 2.0
2 members found this topic helpful
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Search this topic... | Search About BOB... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> About BOB  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
jvmauricio
Principal Member
Principal Member

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:51 am 
Post subject: Re: BOB 2.0

came here from the announcement. Just want to let you guys know that I fully support this initiative and I'm willing to help in any way I can (I have Linux and sysad experience)

I created a new telegram chat for those who want to engage in this project realtime.

https://t.me/bobinitiative2

Just let me know who are the previous mods of BOB so I could transfer the group chat permission.

�Attempting to force one technology or tool to satisfy a particular need for which another tool
is more effective and efficient is like attempting to drive a screw into a wall with
a hammer when a screwdriver is at hand: the screw may eventually enter the wall but at what cost?�

-Dr Edgar �Ted� Codd (1923-2003)
-The Father of OLAP principles
Dave Rathbun
Forum Advocate
Forum Advocate

speaker.gif*16

flag
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:07 pm 

The forum moderators are all listed here:

http://www.forumtopics.com/busobj/groupcp.php?g=47

But I will admit I am not familiar with the chat application you're talking about, and am not sure what benefit it would provide.

The moderator list has some folks on it that are you longer active. I would actually suggest that you just get volunteers from this topic that are active / interested in the migration process.

Latest Blog Posts
• 2019-09-19 Stephen Few Blog Post on Multivariate Visualization
• 2019-02-11 Update on Query Banding
• 2018-10-19 BI Evolution
Mark P
Forum Devotee
Forum Devotee

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:58 am 

Dave Rathbun wrote:
The forum moderators are all listed here:

http://www.forumtopics.com/busobj/groupcp.php?g=47

But I will admit I am not familiar with the chat application you're talking about, and am not sure what benefit it would provide.

The moderator list has some folks on it that are you longer active. I would actually suggest that you just get volunteers from this topic that are active / interested in the migration process.

I agree - not a fan of chat unless the history is captured. I think a forum works best as it makes it searchable.

Is there a deadline to set BOB2 up?

Forum Advocate
Forum Advocate

speaker.gif*16

flag
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:11 pm 

Mark P wrote:
Is there a deadline to set BOB2 up?

I talked through that in the initial post. I had planned to set BOB in "read only" mode later this year, with the shutdown of the server by the end of the year. The read only deadline is soft; the shutdown of the server is hard.

Latest Blog Posts
katullus
Forum Associate
Forum Associate

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:21 pm 

Quote:
Not to omit anyone else who's been contirbuting, but joepeters, Marek and several others continue to seriously impress in terms of outreach and support to the community!

Agreed

Hi Dave,

I'm happy to commit to 4-6 hrs a week and more if and when needed. May I recommend there be project plan, tasks assigned etc with flex timing as most of us have jobs and families now etc. But whatever direction the community decides, I'll always be supportive of it. In order for BOB 2.0 to thrive, one of the biggest key I think will be to make it Mobile friendly (native or non native app architecture etc?)
eganjp
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:16 am 

I'm glad to see BOB 2.0 is taking shape. I was a moderator in the TeamSybase/TeamPowersoft era, but we didn't have to deal with managing the forum under the covers. Dealing with the occasional difficult user was bad enough.

I don't post much but I still use the forum. A couple weeks ago I searched the forum for an issue and found the answer, posted by myself years ago. Deja vu, all over again.

Years ago I wrote code to pull in posts and signatures from a forum that was really bad at being searched. I used, of all things, Data Services.. But it was from an http perspective. I didn't have direct database access which would have been so much easier.

I'm willing to help out with QA or any database work, but my expertise is in Oracle.

Speaker at Sapphire Now 2013
Speaker at Business Objects User Conference 2013
-My ETL is faster than your database! - Advanced ETL performance tuning for Data Services
-Kill ETL bugs before they kill you!
My ETL blog

Latest Blog Posts
• 2014-04-17 Can Your ETL Make Your Reporting Faster?
• 2014-04-04 ProKarma Acquires Mantis Technology Group
• 2014-04-02 How to Create Charts in Webi (Part 2 of 2)
MichaelWelter
Forum Advocate
Forum Advocate

ASUG Icon
speaker.gif*6medal_bronze.gif

flag
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:08 pm 

BOB came into existence because Dave took the lead and made it happen. Without that, BOB would never have happened. The same is true for BOB 2.0. Unless someone takes the lead, it will never happen.

Latest Blog Posts
• 2020-08-16 Introducing Ark Analytic Solutions
• 2020-01-06 Sum Prior Months into Current Month (Webi)
• 2019-02-22 Tableau Security Made Easy
Dave Rathbun
Forum Advocate
Forum Advocate

speaker.gif*16

flag
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:59 pm 

MichaelWelter wrote:
BOB came into existence because Dave took the lead and made it happen. Without that, BOB would never have happened. The same is true for BOB 2.0. Unless someone takes the lead, it will never happen.

That's why I sometimes got called the "BOB-Father." icon_lol.gif And everyone knows that "BOB-Father II" was one of the few sequels that is considered to be better than the original...

Latest Blog Posts
MichaelWelter
Forum Advocate
Forum Advocate

ASUG Icon
speaker.gif*6medal_bronze.gif

flag
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:40 pm 

Dave Rathbun wrote:
That's why I sometimes got called the "BOB-Father." icon_lol.gif And everyone knows that "BOB-Father II" was one of the few sequels that is considered to be better than the original...

lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

Latest Blog Posts
• 2020-08-16 Introducing Ark Analytic Solutions
• 2020-01-06 Sum Prior Months into Current Month (Webi)
• 2019-02-22 Tableau Security Made Easy
kevlray
Forum Associate
Forum Associate

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:01 am 

Dave Rathbun wrote:
MichaelWelter wrote:

So do you have make someone an offer they can refuse?
abductee
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:49 am 

[quote="Dave Rathbun"]
Mark P wrote:
One potential option, then, would be Joomla...

I've used Joomla quite intensively in the past 6 or 7 years but I wouldn't recommend it for a forum, it would over complicate things and when they do major releases it can break a lot of addons

I'm not a mod but would volunteer my time if this would mean keeping the board alive.

I've not posed very much, because my company has always been very slow to upgrade to new versions of BO often letting them go out of support, so I've tended to use BOB as a resource because most of the questions I've wanted to ask have already been asked and help already been provided, however we are finally on 4.2 and I plan on going to 4.3 in 2021 so I should be much more relevant going forward.

I know you shared the monthly post chart but what do the monthly visitor rates look like?

Abductee

SYSTEM:BI4.2 - SP7
Dave Rathbun
Forum Advocate
Forum Advocate

speaker.gif*16

flag
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:55 am 

abductee wrote:
I know you shared the monthly post chart but what do the monthly visitor rates look like?

Some time back I apparently turned off stats archiving for this site. We had a problem where the disk was filling up. I have since re-allocated where certain things are going (I moved the database to a partition with more space) but neglected to turn the stats back on.

Long story short: apparently I don't have the visitor information. The number of page views is tracked by the forum software and it's down significantly.

Latest Blog Posts
Mark P
Forum Devotee
Forum Devotee

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:16 am 

[quote="abductee"]
Dave Rathbun wrote:
Mark P wrote:
One potential option, then, would be Joomla...

I've used Joomla quite intensively in the past 6 or 7 years but I wouldn't recommend it for a forum, it would over complicate things and when they do major releases it can break a lot of addons

I'm not a mod but would volunteer my time if this would mean keeping the board alive.

I've not posed very much, because my company has always been very slow to upgrade to new versions of BO often letting them go out of support, so I've tended to use BOB as a resource because most of the questions I've wanted to ask have already been asked and help already been provided, however we are finally on 4.2 and I plan on going to 4.3 in 2021 so I should be much more relevant going forward.

I'm still using Joomla - I build a page in the Joomla website which acted as an iframe for a phpbb forum, giving people the best of both worlds by allowing them to use the main site or just the forum.

Forum Advocate
Forum Advocate

speaker.gif*16

flag
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:31 pm 

Quote:
This is a little story about four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody, and Nobody.

There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it.

Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it.

Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job.

Everybody thought that Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn't do it.

It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

Or words to that effect. icon_smile.gif Folks, I'm not trying to be an alarmist but "nobody" seems to be winning here. Please, if there is "somebody" who is willing and able to take on the lead towards moving BOB to an alternate platform, let's please talk.

In the past there have been sponsors willing to help fund the hosting, so there is an income potential here. You won't retire on the income, but if you are more diligent than I have been you can probably either find a lower cost hosting option or recruit some sponsors to help pay the bills. Honestly they're not that much. I never tried to make BOB a profit center, just wanted to bring in enough income to cover hosting costs and the occasional upgrade. It can certainly do that.

So if "somebody" is out there, I'm happy to work to support your efforts. But time is passing...thanks for your consideration.

Latest Blog Posts
Mark P
Forum Devotee
Forum Devotee

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:17 am 

Dave,

Please send an email to me. I've got a phpbb3 forum set up ready if people are happy to migrate to it. I'll be on and offline all weekend but happy to take on the migration if need be.

Thanks,
Mark

Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> About BOB  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 3 of 8 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Jump to:  

Index | About | FAQ | RAG | Privacy | Search |  Register |  Login 

Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP