BOB: Business Objects Board
Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP

Register | Login 

Want to sponsor BOB? 
Want to sponsor BOB? (Opens a new window)  

General Notice: No events within the next 45 days.

Bobj without repository

Search this topic... | Search General Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> General Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Debbie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

flag
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:46 am 
Post subject: Bobj without repository

Trying to think outside the box here ... I have a requirement to produce a universe/reports for an area which sits behind a firewall on our network. Access is very restricted due to the nature of their work and they are not keen to give me a database connection so I can I can set up a DSN and a Bobj connection. I was trying to explain that Bobj is a network product and needs to talk to its own database (the repository) as well as the database it's connecting to and therefore what they wanted wasn't feasible.

Which got me to thinking - since I can use full-client webi to query a universe saved locally, is it possible to run an entire Bobj mini-installation on a local level? Could I simply install Designer and full-client webi on a pc on their side of the firewall and run everything locally? That way they'd have full control over everything. I'd still have to create a DSN but it would sit on their pc and not be accessible oustide of their room.

Anybody else done this or know if it's possible?

Debbie
Mark P
Forum Devotee
Forum Devotee

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:02 pm 
Post subject: Re: Bobj without repository

What database is it? IF it's SQL Server, you should be able to just create an OLE DB connection instead.

If you can get a script to create the database structure, you could build the universe, save for all users and then email it to them. They could then attach it to their repository. Make sure that they create a universe connection with the same name as the one that you've created in their CMS and you should be fine.

Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

flag
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:38 am 

I just did a test -- launched UDT in Standalone mode, created a Shared connection, built a mini-universe on it, and saved it locally. Then I launched WRC, did not connect to a CMS, and created a report using the universe I just created. So it appears that your plan would work; the only trick would be getting the connection file and universe file over to them.

I'm not sure how well this strategy would fit with the BO license. Client Tools doesn't require a license key to install, but I'm not sure if this usage is consistent with the software terms.

Joe
Mark P
Forum Devotee
Forum Devotee

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:41 am 

Has anyone ever fully understood the licence terms since XIr2 Joe? icon_lol.gif

Forum Addict
Forum Addict

flag
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:13 am 

I'd have to go and sit in their offices, install full-client Designer and WRC on a pc and work from there. It's SQL Server, so I'd probably also have to install SSMS too, so I can test stuff.

We've got licenses for pretty-much everything, so I'm not overly bothered about that side of things. I'd have to take the installation file over on a USB, but I daresay that's doable too.

Food for thought. Thanks guys. I'm cautiously optimistic we can resolve it without having to resort to this, but it's useful to know it's at least potentially possible ...

Debbie
joepeters
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

flag
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:07 am 

Mark P wrote:
Has anyone ever fully understood the licence terms since XIr2 Joe? icon_lol.gif

The words all make sense to me. It's the order they're in that makes me confused!
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> General Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Jump to:  

Index | About | FAQ | RAG | Privacy | Search |  Register |  Login 

Get community updates via Twitter:

Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP