BOB: Business Objects Board
Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP

Register | Login 

Want to sponsor BOB? 
Want to sponsor BOB? (Opens a new window)  

General Notice: No events within the next 45 days.

What is new in 4.2 SP7

Search this topic... | Search General Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> General Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Nick Daniels
Forum Aficionado
Forum Aficionado

flag
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:10 am 
Post subject: What is new in 4.2 SP7

https://blogs.sap.com/2019/02/01/sap-bi-4.2-sp7-whats-new-in-web-intelligence-and-semantic-layer/

https://blogs.sap.com/2019/01/30/sap-bi-4.2-sp07-whats-new-in-biplatform/

Discuss...
Mark P
Forum Devotee
Forum Devotee

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:31 am 
Post subject: Re: What is new in 4.2 SP7

Some good stuff in there, sounds like they're getting their act together. If they're going to try and boost market share, they need to have a budget offering that can compete with SSRS and Power BI. Not only that, but it needs marketing well as a cheaper offering as many old BO customers now see it as too expensive thanks to SAP's attitude to SMEs.

Forum Aficionado
Forum Aficionado

flag
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:31 am 

Monthly updates for Power BI. I like that 😀 I also like the fact it has a new ideas feature built in to the product....
Mark P
Forum Devotee
Forum Devotee

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:22 am 

Yeah, it's not bad like that. Just seems pitiful that it's beating BO and is only just introducing the concept of aggregate awareness....

Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:38 am 

Nick Daniels wrote:
Monthly updates for Power BI. I like that 😀 I also like the fact it has a new ideas feature built in to the product....

Not always sure I like the idea of soooo many updates. It`s great an all getting new stuff, but I do worry about regression testing constantly. Also, when you demo this stuff it`s a nightmare....although this doesn`t apply to PBI as much as it`s not properly Cloud SaaS like SAC.

SAP have dropped the 6 weeklies in SAC to 3 monthly now I think.

Mark P wrote:
Some good stuff in there, sounds like they're getting their act together. If they're going to try and boost market share, they need to have a budget offering that can compete with SSRS and Power BI. Not only that, but it needs marketing well as a cheaper offering as many old BO customers now see it as too expensive thanks to SAP's attitude to SMEs.

On the pricing thing, it`s not that expensive to get off the ground. If you compare like for like against PBI it`s a bit more (unless you got for a private version of PBI Premium), cheaper than Tableau too. Although overall TCI can be more coz you have to buy a server for BO.

I agree though SAP could still do some swift business if they dropped the price, bought back CPU based licensing and opened up the Universe for external connections (although I`ve managed to connect PBI to a Webi report table with some faffing).

BOXI R1, R2, R3, R3.1, R4.1, R4.2, CE 8, 8.5, 9, 10, SAP Analytics Cloud, Crystal Reports, Lumira, PowerBI, Tableau, JasperServer, iReport, LogiAnalytics, BIRST, Qlikview, Xcelcius, Netezza, T-SQL, PLSQL, DTS, SSIS, BODI, BODS, Kimble etc....
------------------------------------------------------
Mark P
Forum Devotee
Forum Devotee

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:32 am 

ABILtd wrote:
On the pricing thing, it`s not that expensive to get off the ground. If you compare like for like against PBI it`s a bit more (unless you got for a private version of PBI Premium), cheaper than Tableau too. Although overall TCI can be more coz you have to buy a server for BO.

I agree though SAP could still do some swift business if they dropped the price, bought back CPU based licensing and opened up the Universe for external connections (although I`ve managed to connect PBI to a Webi report table with some faffing).

It probably isn't that expensive but a lot of the ex-BO places don't see it as that. Unless there's a push from the non-SAP BI consultancies to encourage clients to re-adopt BO as their main reporting tool, it'll still be brushed under the carpet in favour of the clunkier SSRS and the way-behind, but on a steep catch-up curve Power BI. Ironic given that it's the top right offering in the Gartner quadrant for visualisation tools.

Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:07 pm 

Mark P wrote:
ABILtd wrote:

It probably isn't that expensive but a lot of the ex-BO places don't see it as that. Unless there's a push from the non-SAP BI consultancies to encourage clients to re-adopt BO as their main reporting tool, it'll still be brushed under the carpet in favour of the clunkier SSRS and the way-behind, but on a steep catch-up curve Power BI. Ironic given that it's the top right offering in the Gartner quadrant for visualisation tools.

People are getting PowerBI and bits of the MS stack for quite big discounts, specially blue light and HE. SAP used to do the same, but stopped, so seems a bunch migrated regardless of whether it was a technically sound decision or not. Also, people who never really used things like Webi properly anyway tar it with the 'reporting' brush whereas I see it as more of a swiss army knife. You can do sooooo much in webi if you know what you`re doing.

BOXI R1, R2, R3, R3.1, R4.1, R4.2, CE 8, 8.5, 9, 10, SAP Analytics Cloud, Crystal Reports, Lumira, PowerBI, Tableau, JasperServer, iReport, LogiAnalytics, BIRST, Qlikview, Xcelcius, Netezza, T-SQL, PLSQL, DTS, SSIS, BODI, BODS, Kimble etc....
Mark P
Forum Devotee
Forum Devotee

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:52 pm 

ABILtd wrote:

People are getting PowerBI and bits of the MS stack for quite big discounts, specially blue light and HE. SAP used to do the same, but stopped, so seems a bunch migrated regardless of whether it was a technically sound decision or not. Also, people who never really used things like Webi properly anyway tar it with the 'reporting' brush whereas I see it as more of a swiss army knife. You can do sooooo much in webi if you know what you`re doing.

You're not wrong. I've used it for everything from test data validation to dashboard building to invoicing runs and even financial statements for a whole company. It's far more versatile than most give it credit for.

Forum Aficionado
Forum Aficionado

flag
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:16 am 

Anyone installed SP7?
ABILtd
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:57 am 

Been meaning to do it on a VM.......might have a pop on Friday.

Our cloud guys won`t touch it yet, there were some massive issues with SP6 (scheduling stuff) which is a bit of a pain when they`re running god knows how many instances of BI 4.2!

Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> General Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Jump to:  

Index | About | FAQ | RAG | Privacy | Search |  Register |  Login 

Get community updates via Twitter:

Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP