BOB: Business Objects Board
Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP

Register | Login 

Follow BOB on Twitter! 
Follow BOB on Twitter! (Opens a new window)  

General Notice: Upcoming Events: PGHBOUG: Apr 4.

SAP BI 4.0 - adaptive processing servers
1 members found this topic helpful
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Search this topic... | Search Server Administration, Installation, Upgrades... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> Server Administration, Installation, Upgrades  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
zombique

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:30 am 
Post subject: Re: BO 4.0 SP2 Installation - Please suggest

Hi Rajib ,

Did you find solution for your Issue ?
Thanks
rodlangham

flag
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:06 am 
Post subject: Re: SAP BI 4.0 - adaptive processing servers

I am having same problem as some of earlier posts (APS on BIP4 giving 100% CPU usage, and v. poor Webi performance) and want to investigate whether splitting the APS solves problems at this site. But I can't see anything in Admin Guide which indicates how to split APS. Can one of previous posters please advise? Thanx.
Andreas
Forum Advocate
Forum Advocate

medal_silver.gif*2medal_gold.gif
Location: *** BEEP ...Dreaming of Africa... leave No message ; ) BEEP ***

flag
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:04 am 

Please, start reading here: http://www.dallasmarks.org/blog/2011/11/sizing-the-adaptive-processing-server-in-bi-4-0/
echo6d
Forum Member
Forum Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:10 am 

Here's another good blog entry on this subject (a year newer, and he references--and I think builds on--Marks' info): http://bobj.sapbiblog.com/2012/11/05/sizing-and-splitting-the-adaptive-processes-servers-in-bobj-4-0/

We followed his suggestions pretty closely on our 12 GB VM Win 2008 system (now 16 GB), and it has served us well.

Monty
MikeD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

flag
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:57 am 

I have submitted a spreadsheet to the Downloads sub forum that demonstrates how I originally split our APS's i.e. the easiest way to work it all out or explain it to someone else is to have all the services listed that have been assigned to each APS - along with the respective updated RAM allocations.
icon_wink.gif

Forum Member
Forum Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:40 pm 

I have a customer also receiving this error, but they are already on 4.0 SP5. Does anyone know if there is going to be a fix for this apart from upgrading to 4.1?

Riempie wrote:
Thx... found it. I have an other problem though.... See below the note from SAP.

Nice... NOT. Better to isolate and stop the search service to save some memory and cpu-usage.

Symptom
• Unable to perform a search in BI Launchpad
• Error message: "An error occurred while searching: Index is not ready. Please try again later (PSS 01004). (PSS 01004)" is displayed
Environment

SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform 4.0
Reproducing the Issue
1. Login to BI launchpad
2. Perform any search in the search panel
3. The error message is displayed

Cause
The issue has been identified as product defect and logged under Problem Report ID ADAPT01512534

Resolution
The issue is targeted to be fixed in BI 4.1

Keywords
index not ready, PSS 01004, BI launchpad, search, BI4.0, ADAPT01512541
sbroam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:02 pm 

schimpfian1 wrote:
Reason: Parser failed to initialize...

- Searched for the two files : sqlrule.llr and sqlrule.dfa and found in the following directory:
C:\Program Files\SAP Business Objects\InstallData\InstallCache\platform. services.cms.cpp.dbcheck-4.0-core-64\14.0.2.364

- Copied and pasted both the files to..
.\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win64_x64 folder

- Started SIA and all the services came fine.

Also see; KBA Attached to the ticket

1553803 - After installing Patch 6 for SAP BusinessObjects 4.0 the CMS fails to start
1581285 - SBOP BI 4.0 cannot connect to the database after patch 10 installation

It worked for me. Hope it helps.

It did for me - thanks! The first of the two SAP note shows "document not released", though...
Grant Eaton
Forum Member
Forum Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:30 pm 

I am Principal Consultant for SAP Australia Pty.

For what it's worth, I posted a topic that anyone exploring APS tuning, troubleshooting, or splitting should read:

http://www.forumtopics.com/busobj/viewtopic.php?p=938039#938039

The topic includes a link to an instructional video I posted to SAP’s YouTube channel. My video explains how to split the Adaptive Processing Server (APS) to improve scalability and performance of SAP BI Platform 4.0—especially if you’re reporting on data in BW or HANA. It also covers recommended sizes for the Java heap setting.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:09 am 

The article by Grant is very very very important. Follow that.

Form previous releases XIR2, XI 3.1 SAP BO had mastered CMS sizing, Crystal Server Sizing , Dashboard Sizing, Webi sizing.

With SAP BI 4.0 - adaptive processing servers were a new kid on the block and thats why it has taken time to nail down its sizing.

Dallas Marks was the main guy who bought the adaptive processing server sizing problem out in the open 1-1/2 years back.

From a hardware perspective i can comment - SAP BI 4.0 consumes memory heavily. Minimum for CPUs should be 1 physical 8 core or 2 separate processors each of 4 core.

As per BO n tier architecture - Adaptive Processing servers fall under Processing Tier and memory is there main requirement.

After a lot of permutations, combinations, trying VMs, 64 GB RAMs - For peace of mind and for proper sizing we have deployed two separate physical machines dedicated to adaptive processing servers each having physical memory of 128 GB. 64 GB is the minimum one should have have.
gjwl_8
Principal Member
Principal Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:54 pm 

Instead of splitting the APS into multiple instances, won't it be almost the same if we increase the java heap size?
Grant Eaton
Forum Member
Forum Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:46 pm 

Increasing the default APS heap size from 1 GB to 4, 8, 12, or 16 GB is the bare-minimum action you should take if you do not want to split the APS.

Splitting the APS does appear to help with performance and stability in most (but perhaps not all) use cases. That is why SAP Support has been recommending splitting the APS for quite some time.

Part of this recommendation stems from the fact that there are some vague concerns (whether founded or unfounded) that the Java memory management model may not scale too well beyond an 8 GB heap size but I can't say for certain whether those concerns are valid.

Another reason split APSs are recommended is because we tend to see more efficient and stable threading when each APS Java container is dedicated to a narrowly focused set of tasks rather than ~30 tasks managed by one APS Java container. This is not a hard-and-fast rule, as some tasks may perform a bit more slowly with a split APS in load-testing scenarios, but in general, we do believe that splitting does yield more stability and better performance in a lot of cases.

Ultimately it is best if you perform a load test to verify whether your particular tuning is optimal for your environment and reports. It might take a few cycles of load testing to confirm whether it is beneficial to split the APS, but my professional experience shows that it does tend to improve system stability and performance.

My experience is that splitting is worth doing--it has benefits in most cases. Increasing the Java heap size for the APS is absolutely essential.

Forum Member
Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:05 pm 

I just upgraded to 4.2 SP2 and looking to upgrade to SP06 however i am no longer able to access CMC and have error with memory allocation .
How can i fix the parameters without access to CMC?

Thank you,
Alfadyl
Alfadyl
Forum Member
Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:13 am 
Post subject: Re: SAP BI 4.2 SP06 - Upgrade issues

Errors/Warnings found during the installation are as follows:

17:15:52.546 ERROR: Cannot commit ServerIntelligence_Install_(SERVER)_OutOfBoxAdaptiveJobServer_DestinationSchedulingService_dfo_frag.xml. The DFO data is older than the DFO in the repository. The following properties are causing the problem: SI_RELATIONSHIPS.SI_SERVICE_HOSTS.1.SI_CONFIG.
shivetay
Forum Member
Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:59 am 

Hi need your help
After installation of SAP BO our Adaptive Job server is not working.
We installed it twice. Frist wrongly on a C drive and second as it should be for us on D drive. Now we have:

The executable could not be launched. Possible reasons are insufficient RAM or disk space, or an invalid filepath or working directory. Actual reason: Could not start '"C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win64_x64\JobServer.exe" -javaargs "Dbusinessobjects.connectivity.directory=D:/Program Files (x86)/SAP BusinessObjects/SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0//dataAccess/connectionServer,Dcom.businessobjects.mds.cs.ImplementationID=csEX,Djava.awt.headless=true,XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=192m" -loggingPath "D:/Program Files (x86)/SAP BusinessObjects/SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0/logging/" -maxDesktops 0 -jsTypeDescription "Crystal Reports Job Server" -objectType CrystalEnterprise.Report -fg -restart -name UCLVWLBPRABOA01.AdaptiveJobServer -pidfile "D:/Program Files (x86)/SAP BusinessObjects/SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0/serverpids/UCLVWLBPRABOA01_UCLVWLBPRABOA01.AdaptiveJobServer.pid" -ns UCLVWLBPRABOA02.UCLH201.NET:6400' in path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win64_x64'. Details: CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified

And most of our placeholders are pointing to C: drive not d.

Any help with this issue
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> Server Administration, Installation, Upgrades  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 3 of 3 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Jump to:  

Index | About | FAQ | RAG | Privacy | Search |  Register |  Login 

Get community updates via Twitter:

Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP