BOB: Business Objects Board
Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP

Register | Login 

Want to sponsor BOB? 
Want to sponsor BOB? (Opens a new window)  

General Notice: No events within the next 45 days.

SAP BI 4.2 Stable version

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Search this topic... | Search XI Server Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> Server Administration, Installation, Upgrades -> XI Server Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
malteser
Principal Member
Principal Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:39 am 
Post subject: Re: SAP BI 4.2 Stable version

I noticed that P400 was released towards the end of June. Has anyone installed that yet and found any issues? We're almost at the point of deciding which version to go to (currently on 4.1 SP6) but what I'm reading about all the bugs is worrying me
silpablo
Forum Member
Forum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:28 pm 

Hi all.

Could you please tell me why youare trying to use sp5 p300 or higher?

Whiches are the main bugs in sp5 to looking for patching it?

Thanks in advance
dtolley

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:33 pm 

In addition to the issues noted above, we discovered a MAJOR (as in causing system crashes, have to reboot daily, sometimes multiple times per day) issue with Auditing. Per support, it is being fixed in SP05 Patch 5 and is also available in SP06 Patch 01 and above.

So, unless you don't use auditing, if you are looking to update, you definitely want to go to one of those patch levels.
silpablo
Forum Member
Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:02 am 

what database vendor / version are you using for?

in my deployment we are moving from SP3(00) to SP5 (00) due to inestability issues.

I guess I can disable Auditing just in case.
dtolley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:19 pm 

We're on Windows, running out of the box tomcat and using Microsoft SQL 2012. The problem is a coding issue in several of the .exe files, support did not indicate it was db specific.

If you are updating, I would go with the latest Patch level of whatever SP you select. I would not go to P00 level, the patches address problems/bugs with that SP, so by not installing the patches you are missing out on fixes to know issues. Plus, when you do run into issues, the first thing support is going to tell you is to update ... unless you've identified a new bug.
EmpireITtech
Forum Member
Forum Member

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:03 am 

dtolley wrote:
If you are updating, I would go with the latest Patch level of whatever SP you select. I would not go to P00 level, the patches address problems/bugs with that SP, so by not installing the patches you are missing out on fixes to know issues. Plus, when you do run into issues, the first thing support is going to tell you is to update ... unless you've identified a new bug.

So with us being on 4.2 Support Pack 4 Patch 1 (14.2.4.2464), we can just go straight to SP06 base in the "Support Packages and Patches"? I dont believe there's any patch levels yet for SP06, but let me know if I'm missing them.
Hayden_Gill
Forum Associate
Forum Associate

flag
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:50 pm 

You can, but you are probably missing patches that were in the SP05 line.

The PAM is the place to check

Brisbane, Australia
http://pbi.uq.edu.au
malteser
Principal Member
Principal Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:18 am 

For those of you upgrading on a regular basis to fix the many bugs in 4.2, how big are your installations and do you upgrade the client tools at the same time? We have 5 stages in our RTL which comprise around 35 servers in total including dedicated Tomcat servers and the organisation I work for is full of red tape so even a simple service pack upgrade requires the same level of governance as a major version release with change requests and, in the case of the client tools, having to get them packaged each time for automated installation which of course costs extra. I was just curious as to how everyone else copes in these situations.
bernard timbal
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

flag
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:54 am 

malteser wrote:
For those of you upgrading on a regular basis to fix the many bugs in 4.2...

Agree with you, same troubles here. Having each time to deploy the corresponding client (SMS packages) at the same SP / Patch level is a big big constraint

(Co)author of 2 books about SAP BusinessObjects XI3.x and BI4.x Administration
Marek Chladny
Forum Advocate
Forum Advocate

flag
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:26 am 

Exactly same situation here, mainly when it comes to automated upgrade (push) of new versions of the client tools icon_sad.gif
www.perpendulum.com

Latest Blog Posts
• 2013-07-16 Number of reports in a WebI document
• 2013-04-01 Optional prompts in a universe
• 2012-06-08 Calendar table script for Oracle
sreenu Puli
Forum Member
Forum Member

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:29 pm 

Yes your right 4.2 sp03 is quite stable.
we are using sp03 since 2017-01-01.The major issue what we are having is Publication/schedule will run only for max 10 mints if the the query is running more than 10 mints then BO will send blank report or none.. Apart from this everything seems to be working fine..

Thanks,
sreenu puli
dtolley

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:20 pm 

EmpireITtech wrote:

So with us being on 4.2 Support Pack 4 Patch 1 (14.2.4.2464), we can just go straight to SP06 base in the "Support Packages and Patches"?

Yes, you can go from SP4 P1 to SP6, you do not have to install SP5 or it's updates. Depending on build schedule, there may be fixes in later SP5 Patch(s) that missed the deadline for SP6, but on the other hand, there will be things in SP6 that aren't in the SP5 patch line and any fixes missing from SP6 will be added to future patches.
EmpireITtech
Forum Member
Forum Member

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:10 am 

dtolley wrote:
Yes, you can go from SP4 P1 to SP6, you do not have to install SP5 or it's updates. Depending on build schedule, there may be fixes in later SP5 Patch(s) that missed the deadline for SP6, but on the other hand, there will be things in SP6 that aren't in the SP5 patch line and any fixes missing from SP6 will be added to future patches.

It's interesting that SP06 would not contain all the updates in SP05, would you need to install every SP and every Patch Level for each SP to get all those fixes? I also take it each PL contains the Hot Fixes from the PL before it?

I'm not sure I'll ever completely understand SAP's upgrades/patches, I feel like they change the terminology, numbering schema, and how they work so frequently, but maybe that's just me banghead.gif
dtolley

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:14 pm 

SAP's patching methodology can be maddening. Fixes in SP Patches may not be in the next SP P00 level because of their cut off dates.

Even if you do install all the SP05 patches, when you update to SP06, you would lose any fixes in the SP05 patches that didn't make the SP06 cut off.

Over the years, we've often run into situations where an issue was fixed in SPb P0 but there were fixes from SPa P99 that weren't included in SPb P0, so we have to decide which fixes we can live without.... It comes down to is the SPb P0 fix more important than reverting to bugs fixed in SPa P99. Sometimes the answer is yes, sometimes it isn't and we wait for SPb P1 or P2 that will fix the bugs that had been fixed in SPa P99.

banghead.gif is an appropriate response!! It's very frustrating.
EmpireITtech
Forum Member
Forum Member

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:58 pm 

Wow, that's a great method to use, so thank you for that!

Maybe you could answer this:
For example - If you're on 4.2 SP04 P10 and you want to move to SP05, but let's say SP05 also has 10 patch levels also already out, is it best to move to SP05 P00 base and then install P10 after or just go straight to SP05 P10?

Hopefully that scenario made sense, let me know if I need to restate it icon_mrgreen.gif
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> Server Administration, Installation, Upgrades -> XI Server Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 3 of 5 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jump to:  

Index | About | FAQ | RAG | Privacy | Search |  Register |  Login 

Get community updates via Twitter:

Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP