BOB: Business Objects Board
Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP

Register | Login 

Want to sponsor BOB? 
Want to sponsor BOB? (Opens a new window)  

General Notice: Upcoming Events: PGHBOUG: Oct 19.

SAP BI Roadmap and Convergence

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Search this topic... | Search General Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> General Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Antremons
Forum Associate
Forum Associate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:19 am 
Post subject: SAP BI Roadmap and Convergence

hi guys!

Just wanted to hear your opinion on this:

https://www.sap.com/documents/2018/02/769e6685-f07c-0010-82c7-eda71af511fa.html

In nutshell: Explorer EOD. Both Lumiras Discovery and Designer also will became useless soon and the same future is planned for Xcelsius.
So, Lumira Discovery was horrible from the very beginning, but I'm a bit surprised that the Developer now has same destiny.

What do we have left: Web intelligence, Crystal reports and Ui5.

To be honest, i see no vision here. SAP is loosing perfectly to Self service tools such as Qlik, Tableau and even Microsoft Power BI. I just wondering where gartners and other ranking organizations places SAP Analytics solutions.

Back end solutions are more or less ok.

I do not know about others, but Cloud solutions is not for our customers, mostly because of security reasons.

Cheers, Antre

ABILtd
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:01 am 
Post subject: Re: SAP BI Roadmap and Convergence

Agreed, I was at a partner day last week and they are heavily driving SAC and SAH. Although there are now hybrid licensing options to purchase both on-prem and SAC licenses as a bundle.

I didn`t get Lumira 2 being end of life from any of this though, unless you mean the 2022 date.

Agreed on the security aspects, I raised AGAIN (have been doing this for a year) on the lack of a UK based datacentre for both SAC and SCP. Although it was mentioned that they should be working on partnering with GCP, AWS or Azure on a solution for this, likely using Cloud Foundry.

I see a shift in the market, people are talking about 'Enterprise BI' again (like it`s new!!) with tools like Looker and Pyramid, selling the centralised model, which SAP BI has been doing for years. Tableau are gearing up their server side to cope with this I think. Agree though, in terms of pure play data visualisation Lumira alone doesn`t compete with PBI, Tableau or QlikSense, although 2.1 is better!

BOXI R1, R2, R3, R3.1, R4.1, R4.2, CE 8, 8.5, 9, 10, SAP Analytics Cloud, Crystal Reports, Lumira, PowerBI, Tableau, JasperServer, iReport, LogiAnalytics, BIRST, Qlikview, Xcelcius, Netezza, T-SQL, PLSQL, DTS, SSIS, BODI, BODS, Kimble etc....
------------------------------------------------------
Hayden_Gill
Forum Associate
Forum Associate

flag
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:45 pm 

ABILtd wrote:

I didn`t get Lumira 2 being end of life from any of this though, unless you mean the 2022 date.

Oh it's dead alright... unless you think that Explorer has been alive for the past 5 years?

Looks like they'll finish up what the development team are currently working on, then it'll be patches after that.

https://www.asug.com/news/sap-analytics-roadmap-cloud-lumira-data-visualization-data-discovery

https://news.sap.com/deeper-look-sap-strategy-bi-analytics

Brisbane, Australia
http://pbi.uq.edu.au
ABILtd
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:00 am 

This afternoons roadmap conference call is going to be interesting.....
BOXI R1, R2, R3, R3.1, R4.1, R4.2, CE 8, 8.5, 9, 10, SAP Analytics Cloud, Crystal Reports, Lumira, PowerBI, Tableau, JasperServer, iReport, LogiAnalytics, BIRST, Qlikview, Xcelcius, Netezza, T-SQL, PLSQL, DTS, SSIS, BODI, BODS, Kimble etc....
joepeters
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

flag
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:24 pm 

Yes, seems pretty clear that Lumira Discovery will only be supported through 2022. Interesting that they encourage new deployments of Lumira while at the same time saying it will only be around for another four years.

Application Foundation -> Xcelsius -> Dashboards -> Lumira -> SAC -> ?
tendernips
Principal Member
Principal Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:46 pm 

Good thing I just recently went through some basic js scripting tutorials to get ready for the move to Lumira Designer, too...I guess I can hope the SAC & Digital Boardroom hardware/software/licensing I wrote into a grant proposal recently comes through and we can move there.
ABILtd
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:32 am 

tendernips wrote:
Good thing I just recently went through some basic js scripting tutorials to get ready for the move to Lumira Designer, too...I guess I can hope the SAC & Digital Boardroom hardware/software/licensing I wrote into a grant proposal recently comes through and we can move there.

SAC is still very half baked. The data modelling side of it is clunky and there is no real customisation control over UI look and feel (less than Lumira 2.0), although that`s sometimes a good thing! Uptake is very low from what I can tell (I`ve been booked on 2 training courses now, both were canned due to lack of interest!). Plus partners don`t get free access to demo\test environments. We had to pay for ours....

tendernips
Principal Member
Principal Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:52 am 

ABILtd wrote:
tendernips wrote:

SAC is still very half baked. The data modelling side of it is clunky and there is no real customisation control over UI look and feel (less than Lumira 2.0), although that`s sometimes a good thing! Uptake is very low from what I can tell (I`ve been booked on 2 training courses now, both were canned due to lack of interest!). Plus partners don`t get free access to demo\test environments. We had to pay for ours....

I would imagine that they're still relying on people using designer/discovery as a stop gap for the next couple years while they try to iron things out by dumping all their R&D into SAC and that's a big part of why the curtain is still somewhat around it and new implementations of lumira are being actively pushed.

The eternal optimist in me says this is more opportunity for the user community to influence future development. The regular me says this is SAP moving towards Microsoft's SaaS model as with w10 and they'll be forcing a lot of people to make moves they don't want to in the near future, though.
ABILtd
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:53 am 

tendernips wrote:
ABILtd wrote:
tendernips wrote:

I would imagine that they're still relying on people using designer/discovery as a stop gap for the next couple years while they try to iron things out by dumping all their R&D into SAC and that's a big part of why the curtain is still somewhat around it and new implementations of lumira are being actively pushed.

The eternal optimist in me says this is more opportunity for the user community to influence future development. The regular me says this is SAP moving towards Microsoft's SaaS model as with w10 and they'll be forcing a lot of people to make moves they don't want to in the near future, though.

I sometimes wish the SAP product guys would pay more attention to some of the in built data modelling things possible in PowerBI and Tableau. Not that you should do heavy lifting in a front end tool, but that`s what people seem to demand nowadays!

tendernips
Principal Member
Principal Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:17 pm 

ABILtd wrote:
tendernips wrote:
ABILtd wrote:
tendernips wrote:

I sometimes wish the SAP product guys would pay more attention to some of the in built data modelling things possible in PowerBI and Tableau. Not that you should do heavy lifting in a front end tool, but that`s what people seem to demand nowadays!

I personally daydream of a world where SAP had snatched up Tableau specifically for its agile/cloud visualization when it blew up in Q1 2016 and their valuation tanked 50% in a matter of about 3 days...
dtolley

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:05 pm 

Quote:
I do not know about others, but Cloud solutions is not for our customers, mostly because of security reasons.

Anyone that works in an environment with secure data like PHI sees the word "cloud" and stops reading, it's just not an option.

Every time we start getting momentum on our dash boarding projects, we find SAP has disco'd yet another product -- XI Dashboards, Xcelsius, Explorer, Lumira. Who has time to constantly be rebuilding because SAP can't get their act together and commit? Lumira builds are now off the to-do list!!!
Nick Daniels
Forum Aficionado
Forum Aficionado

flag
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:57 am 

SAP and dashboards....I don't remember anything before Application Foundation....and they just never seem to come up with a winner....I wonder what a Gartner Magic Quadrant for dashboards looks like currently?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:30 pm 

Yup, we originally purchased "BusinessObjects Performance Manager" and "BusinessObjects Dashboard Manager" back in the XI R2 days. Probably one of the few organizations on the planet that bought it. crazy.gif
tendernips
Principal Member
Principal Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:32 pm 

dtolley wrote:
Yup, we originally purchased "BusinessObjects Performance Manager" and "BusinessObjects Dashboard Manager" back in the XI R2 days. Probably one of the few organizations on the planet that bought it. crazy.gif

At least you have a story to tell the grandkids...
joepeters
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

flag
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:10 pm 

dtolley wrote:

We did, too. We actually had it starting with 6.1.3. It was horrible. Slightly less so in subsequent versions. The fundamentals were good but it just wasn't implemented well.

I think the dashboard marketplace just moves too fast for SAP.
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> General Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 2 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to:  

Index | About | FAQ | RAG | Privacy | Search |  Register |  Login 

Get community updates via Twitter:

Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP