BOB: Business Objects Board
Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP

Register | Login 

Want to sponsor BOB? 
Want to sponsor BOB? (Opens a new window)  

General Notice: No events within the next 45 days.

Lumira 2.0 - opinions on suitability for release?

Search this topic... | Search Lumira / Visual Intelligence... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> Other Products -> Lumira / Visual Intelligence  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
norty303
Forum Associate
Forum Associate

flag
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:14 pm 
Post subject: Lumira 2.0 - opinions on suitability for release?

In March we upgraded from XI3.1 to BO4.2 and moved from a CPU license for Webi to CSBL BI Suite licenses.

On the advice from our vendor, we waited until Lumira 2.0 released before looking into Lumira/Designer - although I did familiarize myself with 1.31.x since about July.

However, I'm finding that pretty much every use case we've had for Lumira discovery so far has been stopped in its tracks by bugs and issues.

We have been using BO since 2000 (17 years) so are not unfamiliar with the product, and yet I have logged 3 times more bug and support calls since September for Lumira then we ever have for the rest of the platform.

I REALLY would like to make Lumira work for our organisation, but am becoming somewhat disheartened at seemingly fundamental issues.

Am I alone in this?

I notice that a lot of queries both here and on the SAP Q&A/blog go basically unanswered. Does this suggest the user base isn't huge, or that there are lots of people struggling with it?

Or is it just me? I am trying to be positive about it, but daily issues when you think you're making progress tend to grind you down.

I would be interested in any insights, good or bad around Lumira 2.0.

We're on 2.0 SP02 Patch 1 currently, with BI Platform integration.

Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:19 am 
Post subject: Re: Lumira 2.0 - opinions on suitability for release?

I've found a lot more odd behaviour and issues in Lumira than the other more mature elements of our BIP system. We are still on BIP4.2 / Lumira 1.31.

This ranges from the annoying problems which seem to resolve themselves or appear inconsistently - like reports which when saved to the BIP which are blank when opened but fixed by importing and re-deploying, to more perplexing issues like the one I posted here last week http://www.forumtopics.com/busobj/viewtopic.php?t=250362

It has potential to be a really nice product which supplements and builds on the more solid Business Objects base, but it does still feel like a Beta release in a lot of ways and I'm not confident in it producing good results.

On a side note I'd really like SAP to include some good examples. The ones they provide are pretty awful and don't sell you on the end product.
norty303
Forum Associate
Forum Associate

flag
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:32 am 

Thanks Dan, glad to hear I'm not alone.
SAP Support told me this morning that Lumira 2.1 is due in about 2 weeks and they're sending me the release notes.

I guess that will include fixes for issues I haven't yet encountered, and hopefully some of my current issues will make the fix list quite quickly.

I demoed Lumira to a Director a few weeks ago to see if it had legs for any business needs, and it was very well received, with a further demo to a wider audience to be arranged.

However, I simply have no confidence in it currently, and deploying it to users isn't possible with some of the basic stuff that is broken.

Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:57 am 

I have a feeling the userbase isn`t massive. Lumira 1.x didn`t seem to have much uptake. I mean, if you weren`t using Lumira Server, just the desktop, for data vis, you might as well down load PowerBI!

Same with Lumira 2.0 really, I was on the Early Access release in August and have been frustrated with it ever since. It`s as if the developers havn`t seen any other visualisation products or think it`s 2011.....

Basic things such as being able to convert a text currency field from a CSV to a proper number, the workflow is a pain. Just too many things for me to list. That is before I get to the worse pain of deploying SAP Lumira 2.0 for BIP. Try doing this in a 2 node scenario, it just doesn`t work out of the box. Then you get told by a SAP Guru "just install everything on every node".....!

/faceplam

BOXI R1, R2, R3, R3.1, R4.1, R4.2, CE 8, 8.5, 9, 10, Crystal Reports, Lumira, PowerBI, Tableau, JasperServer, iReport, LogiAnalytics, BIRST, Qlikview, Xcelcius, Netezza, T-SQL, PLSQL, DTS, SSIS, BODI, BODS, Kimble etc....
------------------------------------------------------
DanDensley
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:43 am 

ABILtd wrote:
Then you get told by a SAP Guru "just install everything on every node".....!

/faceplam

That's interesting. Our current issues are linked to when we added an extra node for resilience. If we turn one node off the problems go away, but that's not really a solution and the support channels don't really seem to know what's wrong.
ABILtd
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:16 am 

DanDensley wrote:
ABILtd wrote:
Then you get told by a SAP Guru "just install everything on every node".....!

/faceplam

That's interesting. Our current issues are linked to when we added an extra node for resilience. If we turn one node off the problems go away, but that's not really a solution and the support channels don't really seem to know what's wrong.

It seems logical to add a Lumira node due to Lumira being 'in memory' and the whole point is for users to analyse datasets in memory quickly. Hence you don`t want Lumira impinging on the rest of the platform.

Did you have the same paid as me setting it up? Or not got that far yet. It required editing various configs and installing the connection servers on the Lumira Node, apart from some firewall nightmares (it`s running in Azure so not SAP`s fault there!!).

BOXI R1, R2, R3, R3.1, R4.1, R4.2, CE 8, 8.5, 9, 10, Crystal Reports, Lumira, PowerBI, Tableau, JasperServer, iReport, LogiAnalytics, BIRST, Qlikview, Xcelcius, Netezza, T-SQL, PLSQL, DTS, SSIS, BODI, BODS, Kimble etc....
------------------------------------------------------
norty303
Forum Associate
Forum Associate

flag
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:37 am 

Quote:
I have a feeling the userbase isn`t massive. Lumira 1.x didn`t seem to have much uptake. I mean, if you weren`t using Lumira Server, just the desktop, for data vis, you might as well down load PowerBI!

Same with Lumira 2.0 really, I was on the Early Access release in August and have been frustrated with it ever since. It`s as if the developers havn`t seen any other visualisation products or think it`s 2011.....

I agree on the user base. Google searches turn up very little content about topics, especially compared to Webi!

Corporately we have a small investment in Tableau, but as we have a long standing BI Platform installation, and many users that are comfortable with 'Infoview' it makes sense to try and slot something integrated in.

It's just disappointing that it works as poorly as it does.
It's as if they're paying lip service to having a product in the space, but deep down know that they're not really competing with the other options.

Ironically I received a user satisfaction survey about Lumira 2.0 this morning!

Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> Other Products -> Lumira / Visual Intelligence  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Jump to:  

Index | About | FAQ | RAG | Privacy | Search |  Register |  Login 

Get community updates via Twitter:

Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP