BOB: Business Objects Board
Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP

Register | Login 

Want to sponsor BOB? 
Want to sponsor BOB? (Opens a new window)  

General Notice: No events within the next 45 days.

Happy birthday to me!

Search this topic... | Search Off Topic... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> Off Topic  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Mark P
Forum Devotee
Forum Devotee

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:12 am 
Post subject: Happy birthday to me!

21 years ago today, I first logged on to Business Objects 3.1 via Windows 3.11 for Workgroups. icon_biggrin.gif
Prior versions used: BO3,4,5,6.5,XIr2,XI3, 4.1 - yes, I have been using BO since 1996!
Lee Drake
Forum Associate
Forum Associate

flag
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:26 am 
Post subject: Re: Happy birthday to me!

Congratulations!!! yesnod.gif or Condolences. cryin.gif

Either way.

Forum Aficionado
Forum Aficionado

flag
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:43 pm 

I remember it well, you were wearing short trousers and definitely weren't yet knee high to a grasshopper. Possibly. cookie.gif
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

flag
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:59 pm 

Installed via 3.5" floppy? Or the shiny new CDs?
anorak
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

flag
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:15 am 

Mark P wrote:
21 years ago today, I first logged on to Business Objects 3.1 via Windows 3.11 for Workgroups. icon_biggrin.gif

Hadn't realised, but it's just about the same for me; but I'm pretty much retired (nobody wants a part-time BO consultant icon_sad.gif ).

Anyway, which has been your favourite version? I think that the functionality of v6.5 stands up well to scrutiny; all the rest is 'fluff'! I still miss those little people that you dragged and dropped in Supervisor icon_biggrin.gif

Last edited by anorak on Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total
nwdb
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:26 am 

Saw a demo of version 3.x at one employer and started using at my next in either late 98 or early 99. Trained on 4.1

I agree with anorak on 6.5.4 being almost totally bulletproof and having the vast majority of both necessary and nice-to-have functionality.

Also, in 2014 a client asked me if I could add a universe from an old install to their shiny new 4.1 system to allow them to report on a legacy system. The universe in question was in a 5.1 system and had been created pre-2000, and not updated since 2001. After breaking into the Supervisor account the universe was saved without security and then simply opened in the system's UDT. Other than the table display not toggling through table/join fields/no fields properly it worked perfectly and could be updated as needed.

Designer was a great bit of coding and design, so it is my favourite bit of the BO ecosystem

Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

flag
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:03 am 

Ooo - good discussion.

I really liked 6.5. WebI was still immature, but developing with Designer and Full Client was smooth. FC didn't change much in nearly 15 years, but I see that as a testament to the completeness of its original vision.

BCA had a nice interface, although it was a pain to have to log out & back in to check different queues (and required a hack if you had SSO enabled). Too, being able to create dedicated BCAs by group was a nice feature that only recently re-appeared in BI4.2 SP03.

Although security was much more advanced in XI, Supervisor had a nice, intuitive interface. Being able to do a full import/export of users via text file was a nice feature.

App Foundation was an abomination. It had great promise, but never really got off the ground. Its 6.5.1 version was much more stable than 6.1, but still a nightmare to use and maintain.

Having the repository as user-manageable tables had its advantages. Updating passwords in batch, changing names, and other playing around was a breeze. I once re-assigned most of the object IDs in a universe to match those in a different universe, so reports could be switched from one to the other -- can't do that in XI.
anorak
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

flag
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:33 am 

joepeters wrote:
...I once re-assigned most of the object IDs in a universe to match those in a different universe, so reports could be switched from one to the other -- can't do that in XI...

Yes, I did exactly the same; those were the days!

Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:48 am 

nwdb wrote:
Saw a demo of version 3.x at one employer and started using at my next in either late 98 or early 99. Trained on 4.1

I agree with anorak on 6.5.4 being almost totally bulletproof and having the vast majority of both necessary and nice-to-have functionality.

Also, in 2014 a client asked me if I could add a universe from an old install to their shiny new 4.1 system to allow them to report on a legacy system. The universe in question was in a 5.1 system and had been created pre-2000, and not updated since 2001. After breaking into the Supervisor account the universe was saved without security and then simply opened in the system's UDT. Other than the table display not toggling through table/join fields/no fields properly it worked perfectly and could be updated as needed.

Designer was a great bit of coding and design, so it is my favourite bit of the BO ecosystem

Ahh breaking into supervisor. So easy.

22 years ago I moved to Peterborough for my sandwich year and was dropped in front of something called "Crystal Reports 4" to build reports from Magic Helpdesk (Btrieve!!) and Lotus Notes. I liked it so much I went to went to work for the vendor when I graduated. Who then got bought by Business Objects and bought with it that lovely enterprise architecture you know today. Some of the sample Crystal Reports I built for the Crystal Enterprise 8.5 (in about 1999) release were still in BOXI 3.1!

BOXI R1, R2, R3, R3.1, R4.1, R4.2, CE 8, 8.5, 9, 10, Crystal Reports, Lumira, PowerBI, Tableau, JasperServer, iReport, LogiAnalytics, BIRST, Qlikview, Xcelcius, Netezza, T-SQL, PLSQL, DTS, SSIS, BODI, BODS, Kimble etc....
------------------------------------------------------
Mark P
Forum Devotee
Forum Devotee

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:59 am 

joepeters wrote:
Installed via 3.5" floppy? Or the shiny new CDs?

Floppy disk of course - version 4 on Windows 95 saw the brave new world of CDs!

Prior versions used: BO3,4,5,6.5,XIr2,XI3, 4.1 - yes, I have been using BO since 1996!
Mark P
Forum Devotee
Forum Devotee

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:03 am 

Nick Daniels wrote:
I remember it well, you were wearing short trousers and definitely weren't yet knee high to a grasshopper. Possibly. cookie.gif

Haha, thanks Nick. I was 22 so at full height and in long trousers but had more hair and less timber!

In terms of the discussions about favourite versions, I had 3:
XI3.1 SP3

All were nicely stable and did what we wanted.

In terms of scheduling on 5/6, I was happier using Acusend than BCA (are we allowed to mention DAS in civilized conversation), but the XI3 scheduler has been fine. I didn't spend any time on XI or much time on XIr2 (about 12 months) so can't comment much on it.

Mak 1
Forum Aficionado
Forum Aficionado

flag
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:41 am 

The original 4.1 version for me icon_cool.gif

Business Objects Versions 4,5,6, XI R2, 3.2, 4.1 SP3
Oracle, SQL Server, Sybase, Netezza, SAP BW.

Red Adair: "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
Andreas
Forum Advocate
Forum Advocate

medal_silver.gif*2medal_gold.gif
Location: *** BEEP ...Dreaming of Africa... leave No message ; ) BEEP ***

flag
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:35 am 

anorak wrote:
Anyway, which has been your favourite version? I think that the functionality of v6.5 stands up well to scrutiny; all the rest is 'fluff'! I still miss those little people that you dragged and dropped in Supervisor icon_biggrin.gif

5.1.x thumbsup.gif

joepeters wrote:
Ooo - good discussion.

App Foundation was an abomination. It had great promise, but never really got off the ground. Its 6.5.1 version was much more stable than 6.1, but still a nightmare to use and maintain.

Yep, so true yesnod.gif

Last edited by Andreas on Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total
Mark P
Forum Devotee
Forum Devotee

ASUG Icon

flag
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:42 am 

anorak wrote:
joepeters wrote:
...I once re-assigned most of the object IDs in a universe to match those in a different universe, so reports could be switched from one to the other -- can't do that in XI...

Yes, I did exactly the same; those were the days!

In the original version 3, there was an even better one.

If you wanted to repoint a query at a different universe, open windows explorer and move the report's folder to be under the correct universe. Simples! icon_biggrin.gif

Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> Off Topic  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Jump to:  

Index | About | FAQ | RAG | Privacy | Search |  Register |  Login 

Get community updates via Twitter:

Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP