BOB: Business Objects Board
Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP

Register | Login 

Want to sponsor BOB? 
Want to sponsor BOB? (Opens a new window)  

General Notice: No events within the next 45 days.

Sub Reports in CRE 4.1 SP6

Search this topic... | Search Crystal Reports... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> Building Reports -> Crystal Reports  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
MIUSA
Principal Member
Principal Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:04 pm 
Post subject: Sub Reports in CRE 4.1 SP6

Hi, All

Can anyone please let me know if we can able to add existing report from Public Folder(BI Launcpad) as a sub report in Main report of CRE(4.1sp6) present at public folder.

Thank you for the help!
kevlray
Forum Associate
Forum Associate

flag
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:36 am 
Post subject: Re: Sub Reports in CRE 4.1 SP6

It appears that you sorta can. You will have to save the 'subreport' on a local drive then insert into the main report.
MIUSA
Principal Member
Principal Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:46 am 

Yes, but don't know how that is useful. Below is my observation:

1. Saving a report locally will remove data level security applied on the report.
2. Even if we select report from local drive as Sub-report into Mainreport then 'I think, will have issues when migrating this report to Production env and running' as subreport is present locally and not on server.

In CRE 4.1 SP6, when creating Sub reports, we have an option to select 'Existing report'. But 'Existing report' is ONLY from Local drive. We need to have an option to select 'Existing report' from Server(BILaunchpad Public folder) as well. May be if someone who is on higher version of CRE(>4.1sp6), can Confirm whether we this option or not to select report from Public folder as Sub report.

Please share your thoughts.
kevlray
Forum Associate
Forum Associate

flag
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:05 pm 

Just remember that adding a sub-report to any Crystal Report, that report becomes 'embedded' into the main report and is no longer an independent report and will have the same security as the main report (unlike SSRS reports). That is not to mean at a later date, you may want to 'export' the sub-report, but then it really becomes a new report.
hilfy
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

ASUG Icon
speaker.gif*3

flag
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:08 am 

There are two types of subreports created from an existing report - one that maintains a connection to the existing report so that the subreport is updated when the report it's based on is updated and one that does not maintain a connection to the original report.

I believe that kevlray is talking about the kind that doesn't maintain the connection while you're talking about the kind that does. Is that correct?

I haven't really worked with subreports in CRE, so I have no solution for you. I just wanted to point out where the difficulty is in this conversation.

-Dell

kevlray
Forum Associate
Forum Associate

flag
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:37 am 

Maybe CRE is a little different than just Crystal Report Developer. I know that in Crystal Reports Developer, once you create a sub-report (either a new one or an existing report). It becomes part of the main report, thus if you make changes to the sub-report (provided it was once a stand alone report), it will not affect the original report. Likewise if you make changes to the stand alone report and it had been previously added to a main report, those changes would not be seen on the stand alone report.

I hope this makes sense.
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> Building Reports -> Crystal Reports  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Jump to:  

Index | About | FAQ | RAG | Privacy | Search |  Register |  Login 

Get community updates via Twitter:

Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP